if you carry a firearm i got a question.

kawi kid

With all the threads about carrying and all the concern about the new law lately had me thinking. How many of everyone on here only carry a firearm?

It may seem like a simple dumb question but there is an old saying, " if your only tool is a hammer everything looks like a nail." I have been contemplating other "tools" lately especially since I plan on being in bars with my firearm and sometimes when I choose to drink without it. Other members have brought this up before addressing martial arts as their secondary or LTL form of protection.

So again I ask do you carry a firearm and a less than lethal weapon? I carry my lcp in my front pocket and a knife in my other pocket. But since this has been on my mind lately im thinking im gonna start carrying a small thing of pepper spray on my key ring. I figure agun is for ax wielding maniacs, and pepper spray is for annoying drunks.

Thoughts?

But since this has been on my mind lately im thinking im gonna start carrying a small thing of pepper spray on my key ring. I figure agun is for ax wielding maniacs, and pepper spray is for annoying drunks.

Thoughts?

Sounds logical to me, and a lot less concern of killing an innocent bystander.

i wouldnt carry pepper spray - that seems like a desperation type of thing a woman would use in a dark parking lot....if you were to spray that at some dude inside of a bar that was messing with you, you would upset the whole bar and probably get your ass kicked...that stuff spreads like crazy...

i think a stun gun would be a better option....my dad had a small stun gun (he didnt carry it - just had it to mess around with lol) it was about the size of a deck of cards, easy to slip into one of those universal cell phone cases and clip on your belt

The key is to remove you from the situation. If something starts you try to avoid the conflict. I have a new motto lately I don't go to stupid places with stupid people and do stupid things. Bars aren't stupid places but when people start puffing up and it looks like something might happen ill remove myself from that place before it turns stupid, that either means moving to the other end of the place or leaving completely.

And personal protection to me isn't a fashion show lol. If I look like a woman carrying a small thing of pepper spray im fine with that. If it keeps me from having to shoot some drunk asshole cuz he is drunk and making a bad life choice im ok with that. In the other thread the newb asked if we just carried to feel like hard ass. I carry for my protection and if I have layers of protection with my gun as my last option. If shit got ugly real fast I would not hesitate to skip straight to final option.

Everyone that makes the decision to carry a gun needs to know that from the moment you stick it in tour pocket or holster it on your side any fight or conflict you get in there will be a gun involved, even if its never drawn.

• Upvote 1

The key is to remove you from the situation. If something starts you try to avoid the conflict. I have a new motto lately I don't go to stupid places with stupid people and do stupid things. Bars aren't stupid places but when people start puffing up and it looks like something might happen ill remove myself from that place before it turns stupid, that either means moving to the other end of the place or leaving completely.

And personal protection to me isn't a fashion show lol. If I look like a woman carrying a small thing of pepper spray im fine with that. If it keeps me from having to shoot some drunk asshole cuz he is drunk and making a bad life choice im ok with that. In the other thread the newb asked if we just carried to feel like hard ass. I carry for my protection and if I have layers of protection with my gun as my last option. If shit got ugly real fast I would not hesitate to skip straight to final option.

Everyone that makes the decision to carry a gun needs to know that from the moment you stick it in tour pocket or holster it on your side any fight or conflict you get in there will be a gun involved, even if its never drawn.

i didnt mean you would look like a woman if you carried pepper spray, i was just commenting on a scenario that seemed more fit for pepper spray

if you were to spray that stuff inside of a closed in area such a bar, its going to spread and burn everybodys eyes in the area, including your own.

thats why i said a stun gun is probably a better option.

you asked for opinions, if you dont like them, dont ask

if i was in a bar and two people got in a confrontation and one of them pulled out pepper spray and sprayed it and it got in my eyes, i would be kicking somebodys ass to the best of my ability (might not get far with pepper spray in my eyes - but you wont get far either)

take it for what it's worth, but I've always found that if you hit a dude in the balls you've stunned them enough to get away.... and you are small enough I'd say it's fair game to pick up an equalizer.... I.E. chair, bottle, plate, 2x4, ball bat..... and just haymaker your way out...If it's a "you or me" situation you do whatever it takes for it to be a "me walking outta there" result...

Edited by cmoosego

I never said anything against your opinion. Im not trying to start an ebattle so settle down. Why the fuck is everyone on edge so much anymore?

I was saying before anything happened I would remove myself from the situation, first moving away from the problem then if it persisted leave. If I was followed then I have all the rights to take action. Im not saying spray some guy looking crosseyed at you sitting at the bar lol.

if you insist on a pepper spray type of defense over a stun gun - get a gel that isnt going to spray everybody in the area....only thing is they tend to be expensive

something like this

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=148914

i read in an article the impact alone is like getting hit with a baseball bat, and you cant wipe the stuff off....i plan on getting one of these for my girl since she is anti-gun

Edited by Steve Butters

I never said anything against your opinion. Im not trying to start an ebattle so settle down. Why the fuck is everyone on edge so much anymore?

not on edge, you just mentioned the fashion statement and hardass nonsense when all i was saying is that a pepper spray has too much collateral damage to be practical in all applications

its all good :cheers:

if you insist on a pepper spray type of defense over a stun gun - get a gel that isnt going to spray everybody in the area....only thing is they tend to be expensive

something like this

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=148914

i read in an article the impact alone is like getting hit with a baseball bat, and you cant wipe the stuff off....i plan on getting one of these for my girl since she is anti-gun

Get a new girl :D

Have you ever been in an enclosed room when a firearm is discharged without hearing protection? I would rather get some misting from pepperspray than lose my hearing. Providing the use of either was justified I doubt harm would come to you for deploying your weapon of choice.

Have you ever been in an enclosed room when a firearm is discharged without hearing protection? I would rather get some misting from pepperspray than lose my hearing. Providing the use of either was justified I doubt harm would come to you for deploying your weapon of choice.

Yep, and it hurts like hell. I was in a basement in a house when I lived in dayton and there were multiple 40 and 9mm rounds fired.. Holy shit... And Im not talking about a finished basement with carpet and drywall, Im talking about solid block and concrete floor. The sound/shockwave literally bounced around the basement off the block walls. You wouldnt believe me unless youve experienced it.

Edited by flounder

a stun gun you have to be within reach of them to use it I guess that's what im getting at. If im in reach im to close but that's my opinion. Lol

And I said the hardass comment in half thought thinking about the newb guy I prob should have saved that til the end. But I stand by my fashion statement comment :) lol

not talking about firearms

he was asking about non lethal solutions and mentioned pepper spray, i compared it to a stun gun - not a real gun

no point to mist people with pepper spray when there are better options of non-lethal self defense, such as a pepper spray gel or a stun gun....thats all i was getting at

a stun gun you have to be within reach of them to use it I guess that's what im getting at. If im in reach im to close but that's my opinion. Lol

And I said the hardass comment in half thought thinking about the newb guy I prob should have saved that til the end. But I stand by my fashion statement comment :) lol

if i was you, i would look into a gel then...not a super long range thing, but more range than pepper spray and more effective aswell with less chance of spraying everybody else in the immediate area

and for the fashion statement comment - it even looks like a miniature red gun....so you can be the baddest pepper spraying dude ever.

the link i posted is outdated - they have a new model out now, changed the grip on it

http://www.pepperblaster.com/movie/showcase

Edited by Steve Butters

When I go to the indoor range I wear both plugs and muffs. My ears are already shot.

When I go to the indoor range I wear both plugs and muffs. My ears are already shot.

I cant imagine having no hearing protection...i went to the indoor range and just had orange ear plugs and every time the guy next to me shot his competition 45 i jumped

There are fairly small easy to carry tazers avail to general public but they are pricey, you can also load rubber bullets if you want a happy medium

Civilian tazers, not to be confused with stun guns that don't shoot barbs, give off about a 30 second shock. This allows the person to drop the tazer and get away. Then they contact the manufacturer and they will replace it free of charge.

I guess I should clear it up and say this isn't just for me. I feel everyone should have more than one option.

i actually hadnt thought about it until you made this thread - but i might just pick up a second gel blaster for myself when i get one for my girl...guess it cant hurt to have a "first option" aswell