need truck tire suggestions-whats your favorite?

max power

I never liked these, I personally thought the sidewalls were too soft. I would think with a vehicle of that size you would want a "E" rated tire? Just my 2 cents

Its only a half ton. Weighs 7,000#

I had the BFG Rugged Trail T/A as the OEM tire on my RAM 2500, replaced at 70K with the BFG All-Terrain T/A K/O.

The OEM's were smooth and slient and gripped well until they were nearly bald.

The replacements are noisy and less smooth, but after 47.5K still have a good 10-20K left.

those all terrains are like $50 cheaper per tire than the MT's im looking at....and they come in the size i need....i think i may be stealing this idea :) i like those

I love the BFG AT T/A's, but they are$ 1000 for my truck.

Its only a half ton. Weighs 7,000#

I love the BFG AT T/A's, but they are$ 1000 for my truck.

yea theyre a lot...ill shop around but ive found them so far for 200 a pop not including mount and balance...i figure i can get them for 1000 bucks installed and everything and be a happy camper.... considering the size (33x11.5x16 -- 285/75/16) i cant complain too much...especially if they last 60k miles, thats 4 years for me

and a full size suburban is a half ton??? i thought they were 3/4

Thanks Monty, but im not driving 3 hrs to save 10%. I had mastercrafts on the wires 4Runner and they wore fast. Only got 30 k. They wore even though.

I have the Yoko HT-S on it now and they are nice, but they seem to be discontinued.

No problem.

Are you close to Jegs? You could go in and tell them that Summit is offering 10% I almost guarantee they will do the same. Also Tire Rack blows away almost everyone else away on price...

I run Nittos Trail GRappler MTs(new version from last year) on my summer wheels and like them alot. BUT They are HEAVY, but with a modded 6.0 with tunes etc I dont care.

I run MasterCrafts through the winter and LOVE THEM. Had I not had the rims and tires mounted when I bought the summer wheel/tire combo I would swap out asap.

I get mastercrafts cheap from a dealer back home. If you are serious, I can most likely hook you up we just have to do the install on a saturday or sunday. I mount and balance all my stuff up there after hours. I run the CT's and they are AMAZING. Ive had every tire out there and like these almost as much as my Dick Cepek FC2's those are by far the best tire for a truck every made.

I've owned trucks and run bigger tires for 10 years and dealt with any and every brand from MAxxis to Dick Cepek to Nittos. If you want any other insider info let me know.

They have a trailer designed for highway too, forget the name. Sorry I've never had a truck tire designed for MPG just mud, dirt, and hauling. They are all LT tire specs too, not normal truck tires with lower load ratings.

I would look at BFG or Goodyears.

MasterCraft Courser A/T 2 on the 04 GMC Sierra

courser_AT2.png

KELLY SAFARI TREX on the 04 Suburban

strx.jpg

I think I may try the Courser CT's on the GMC next time around

Mastercraft-Courser-CT-250.jpg

Edited by Big3

Jeep forums swear the General Grabber HTS is the best tire and price. It's probably what I'll try on the next set of tires.

I have Uniroyal Laredo on the old Jeep, which are more heavy duty than a passenger tire. No problems with those. Good Winter grip.

The new Jeep has some sort of Firestone that are noisy and out of balance and not holding air. Don't like them. Terrible in wet, ice, or snow. But the Jeep forums list one of the Firestone tires as the second best tire. Go figure...

My Tacoma came with Dunlop AT20's - they were crap after 40k, so I went with Goodyear Wrangler SA's and they hook great in most any environment - only have about 20k on 'em so far, but I put a lot highway mileage more than anything else, '08 truck with 60k in 2 yrs (new leftover early '09)

I dig 'em and the semi-agressive tread pattern is surprisingly quiet on the road (kevlar belting;))

alright, after much fretting, research and soul searching :D I ended up going with the Firestone Destination AT.

Wasnt my first choice, but they will look good with the new wheels and I couldnt beat the price. $600 OTD including alignment.

They get good reviews and will get better winter traction than a HT tire, gas mileage be damned!!

Thanks for all the input guys. Pictures to follow. ;)

I have to go for the Firestone Destination MT. I have them on my ranger, and love them. Fairly quite for a MT, and last a good bit. I have close to 30k on them, and still over half to the wear bar. I rotate and balance every 5,000 though. I know a couple people that run them on F250s, and they like them as well. They are pretty close to the top of all the reviews I could find. They do good on wet pavement, great in snow and mud, and not to bad in sand. They can also be studded easy for ice if it is needed. They aren't to badly priced either.

thanks god you didnt go with any of these shit no name brands mastercraft and the pep boys specials. The hotrocks destination le is a good tire its one of the more popular ones we sell.

thanks god you didnt go with any of these shit no name brands mastercraft and the pep boys specials. The hotrocks destination le is a good tire its one of the more popular ones we sell.

Mastercraft = Cooper. Ironically, the price isn't any less, most of the time. Many of the no name tires are actually really good.

Cooper also Owns:

Mastercraft, Avon, Starfire, Kenda

not that says a lot. But we have 4 2500hd Gmc's all running MC A/T2's with no issues in 6 years.