Tire storage..

DGTL GRL

I'm seeing a pretty good deal on some Metzler's that fit my bike. $89 a piece due to a Father's Day deal.

I don't need new tires just quite yet..

If I were to buy them.. is there something special I should be doing to store them in the meantime?

Just thought you guys would know best.

Thanks!

It's all about oxidation, which is bad. Heat, sunlight, air/oxygen, humidity, ozone, high or low temps or temperature fluctuations. All aggravate the tire's condition and longevity.

From Tire Rack:

Place each clean and dry tire in its own large, opaque, airtight plastic bag (such as lawn and garden bags) for storing. Avoid allowing any moisture to remain and remove as much air as practical (some drivers even use a vacuum cleaner to draw out as much as possible). Close the bag tightly and tape it shut. This places the tire in its own personal mini-atmosphere to help reduce oil evaporation.

Place the tires in a cool, dry location. It is better to store tires in a dry basement or climate-controlled workshop than in a standard garage, storage shed, hot attic or outdoors. While basement and shop surroundings tend to remain cool and dry, conditions found in typical garage, shed, attic and outdoor locations often include a wide range of hot and cold temperatures, as well as seasonal precipitation and humidity.

Keep the tires away from sources of ozone. Electric motors that use contact brushes generate ozone. Keep your tires away from the furnace, sump pump, etc.

jesus, your tires sit on your bike and see everything you guys are talking about anyway while on your bike and still last for a whole season and well beyond..

on your car...years..

they're not some fragile piece of american history that should be stored like the constitution.

jesus, your tires sit on your bike and see everything you guys are talking about anyway while on your bike and still last for a whole season and well beyond..

on your car...years..

they're not some fragile piece of american history that should be stored like the constitution.

I think the OP wants them to be in the best condition possible when she puts them on the bike. Keeping them away from any of the drastic conditions discussed should help. I would definitely second the comments about keeping them off the concrete, and put them somewhere that is a consistent temperature.

Tires are organic compounds. The typical life span is six years. Both years in storage and years in use count against the total. In several ways, storage can be accidentally worse than average road conditions.

There is also a lot of oils in rubber/synthetic tires. Oils in general, will show a noticeable change in properties in as soon as 3 to 12 months. The shelf life of a sealed container of oil is five years.

Nothing is forever, even glass will flow out of a window pane, given a few thousand years. It's a liquid (amorphous solid).

Per mil specs, oxidation, ultraviolet light (sunlight), ozone, and solvent vapors will all degrade a tire. (MIL-T-4L; A-A-52408) Military storage will avoid all that, using preservative coatings, shrink wrap and metal strapping, compressing a stack for on a skid. Except for the Navy, which doesn't like plastic wrapping and metal straps.

Typical shelf life for any rubber/polymers in the military is 6 years, and then they get rid of it.

Tires are organic compounds. The typical life span is six years. Both years in storage and years in use count against the total. In several ways, storage can be accidentally worse than average road conditions.

There is also a lot of oils in rubber/synthetic tires. Oils in general, will show a noticeable change in properties in as soon as 3 to 12 months. The shelf life of a sealed container of oil is five years.

Nothing is forever, even glass will flow out of a window pane, given a few thousand years. It's a liquid (amorphous solid).

Per mil specs, oxidation, ultraviolet light (sunlight), ozone, and solvent vapors will all degrade a tire. (MIL-T-4L; A-A-52408) Military storage will avoid all that, using preservative coatings, shrink wrap and metal strapping, compressing a stack for on a skid. Except for the Navy, which doesn't like plastic wrapping and metal straps.

Typical shelf life for any rubber/polymers in the military is 6 years, and then they get rid of it.

So does this go for condoms too? Lol

So does this go for condoms too? Lol

yes, but I wouldn't push 6 years for that... risky...

made me look it up, no shelf life limit listed...

A-A-50972, COMMERCIAL ITEM DESCRIPTION: CONDOM, PROPHYLACTIC (5 JUN 1985) [sUPERSEDES ZZ-C-001597A]

Edited by ReconRat