Long rangers: How do you do it?

YSR_Racer_99

I'm not a long range rider. Never have been able to see the attraction in riding 8/ 10/ 12 hours at a stretch, vs taking a car with stereo, AC, and wind control (i.e. a windshield). For you long range riders, how and why do you do it? Riding a relatively straight and fast slab for hours on end just doesn't make sense to me. Unless you hate your partner/ spouse, and don't want to talk to them any more than necessary (which is the case with a buddy of mine).

some of the "long" rides i've been on are anywhere from 300-700 miles, but only about 200 of that is straight and boring... the rest of it is nice twisty stuff in SE Ohio.

i like my car WAY more than a bike for that sort of riding, but i think i could see the appeal of it with the right bike and right set of roads.

Usually it's the destination and/or the view. For instance; Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, and the first 1/3 or so of Colorado are boring as shit. However, the rest of it out there is amazingly beautiful with some amazing roads. Sure, you could trailer out there, but that kinda defeats the purpose of owning a motorcycle.

the ride i took out to colorado didnt bug me too much, the second half of day two i started to get bored but a lot of it has to do with the journey to get there. i really did enjoy myself on my way out there. i did just under 700 miles the first day and a just over 500 the second and really did have a good time. i didnt think i would have as much fun as i did. but it was nice.

• Upvote 1

the ride i took out to colorado didnt bug me too much, the second half of day two i started to get bored but a lot of it has to do with the journey to get there. i really did enjoy myself on my way out there. i did just under 700 miles the first day and a just over 500 the second and really did have a good time. i didnt think i would have as much fun as i did. but it was nice.

:eek: on a 600RR??? :bow:

More long distance rides in your future?

It's always about the desitnation when I slab it. I have no issue with doing 6~12 hours on the bike. Headphones with the ipod hooked up, sitting behind a taller screen, but not tall enough to prevent air flow and a camel back filled with water, ice tea or gatorade.

Also, I fit a set of throttle rockers to both side to take some pressure off and a cabby beaded seat cover reworked to fit the drivers seat. It makes riding way more easier. No more monkey butt.

For me, it's relaxing to spend the time riding that long. With the right bike, you are actual relaxed when you get to where your going. I ride 200 miles, pull off to get some gas and go. Most times, I don't even get off the bike. When I stop for food I will.

I love riding long distances. Every saturday i can, I ride 400-500 miles. Last saturday i left my house at 7:30 in the morning, and didn't get home till 9:00 at night. A lot of that time was spent at the OR meet though.

To me there is nothing more relaxing than cruising along, no real destination, watching the miles roll past on the odometer. Alone with the road, the drone of the engine, and your own thoughts. Driving in a car is just a constant longing for me to get there, not so on the bike.

Attacking twisty roads is a blast, don't get me wrong. But I love just riding for hours on deserted straight 2-lanes.

Last year i rode 700 miles in a day during a 3000 mile 10 day trip to maine and canada from my home in indiana. This year i'm planning on getting my IronButt1000 riding to orlando nonstop.

I've got a ton of respect for you guys that ride bike miles on sportbikes. I'm not riding the most comfortable bike in the world, but i think i would be permanently hunched after a big ride on a sportbike.

I did 800 mile around lake Erie last year. Was surprised byt he fact that I wasn't bored in the slightest.

Get out there, see new places, meet new people. I sat and talked with a guy in a Tim Horton's in Ontario. Talked about bikes and all kinds of things.

Then I rode for 30 miles through twisties in upstate New York. Epic roads, a blast.

If all you want to do is "get there", then drive.

corbin seat /thread

nah, seriously, it's about the destination most of the time. most of my long rides have been with small groups (dtc, rodo, etc.) thos go from 10 to 20 hours total from garage to garage. my REALLY long rides were just to experience things i had never experienced before (if you want you can read my L.A. writeup for some insights to those experiences here). I've done 29 hours in a day just because i was sick of the desert.

a good stereo and a comfy seat go a heck of a long way to making long trips better.

I just get on the bike and ride! I tend to be a lot more focused on a motorcycle because my entire body is directly connected to my machine. It also helps that I'm set up for high-mileage days from the Corbin seat to the MP3/XM Radio and the luggage. The entire journey on the two wheels is one giant adventure for me and getting the extra miles is just another challenge.

Getting to the point that 500+ a day miles is normal takes lots of practice and tweaking your bike to fit you. Comfort is key and it pays dividends when you're doing the long haul.

I've ridden and trailered, but usually if I trailer it's because I have the bike set up for offroad action and there is no point to ruining a good offroad tire on pavement. If I'm planning the trip I always try to pick a route that is well off the beaten path. It is very consuming to be attentive to the route, other drivers and enjoy the view. So I'm hardly ever bored. My drive back across I-70 from Colorado was about as boring as it can get. I swear I watched the same hay stack approach for well over three hours in Kansas. :lol:

I just get on the bike and ride! I tend to be a lot more focused on a motorcycle because my entire body is directly connected to my machine. It also helps that I'm set up for high-mileage days from the Corbin seat to the MP3/XM Radio and the luggage. The entire journey on the two wheels is one giant adventure for me and getting the extra miles is just another challenge.

Getting to the point that 500+ a day miles is normal takes lots of practice and tweaking your bike to fit you. Comfort is key and it pays dividends when you're doing the long haul.

I remember my first "big" ride. Rode about 150 miles in one day, and felt like i had ran a marathon. Since then, I've built up to longer and longer rides, and now can easily ride sunrise to sunset, only stopping for fuel for me and the bike.

I can't stress enough to people how much of a difference ear plugs makes. Hours and hours of wind and engine noise put a huge mental a physical strain on you. I can do twice as many miles in a day wearing them vs. without.

I laugh when I hear some folks talk long distance when a normal ride for me is 75 miles to Lancaster, 100+ miles offroad and 75 miles home on a dual sport bike like this:

Meoverrock.jpg

As you can tell it's built for comfort. :lol:

Longest ride I have done in a day was just over 800 miles on my speedtriple. We rode to north Ga from cleveland in pouring rain for 500 miles. with the right gear and set up it is easier then you think to rack up the miles. It does take time to build up to being able to do a 500+ mile day though.

It's about the destination

It's about the experience

It's about the authenticitiy

You can experience places in a car, but it's a different world on a bike

The people you meet, the stories you have to remember, the bond with friends or family when doing a group trip

Its it's own world

I love long hauling to places I've never been

What fun is doing long rides on a bagger thats easy? LOL do it on a naked sport standard..

It also helps to have a good group of co-riders, especially if it's boring roads for lots of hours.

:eek: on a 600RR??? :bow:

no i rode out on a 650r, there were quite a few times where i wished i had the rr though. and i mean that. it wouldnt have been much worse than the 650r and i would have had a lot more fun.

More long distance rides in your future?

thats a for sure yes. i plan on buying a sport tourer sometime in my life so i can roll like that more often hopefully with other riders next time. and if the opportunity presents itself while i still just own the rr i would be down.

300 miles is my max right now. I actually get mentally tired far before I'm physically drained. There is no way in hell I can do more than an hour at a time on the highway no matter what kind of bike I'm on...just too damn boring

Edited by Bad324