what to do with a trebuchet?

redkow97

...so my brother's engineering class made a trebuchet as a project, and he didn't feel like taking up space on the truck when he moved to Seattle.

At the time, I had his bike in my garage, so his bike went down to Columbus on my trailer, and the trebuchet came back.

It's sat in my garage (disassembled) since then.

this is the approximate size I'm dealing with:

10441.jpg

the pouch is sized to throw tennis balls (or apples, oranges, cue balls...), and I have no idea how far it will throw.

So give me some ideas about where I can use this thing, and what kind of awesome shit I can throw.

And if anyone wants it, make me an offer. I'm thinking the next time someone has a "come shoot in my backyard" event, this will make the trip. If it goes home with someone else, and I get my gas money covered, I might just call it even. that might change if it's particularly awesome, but I don't have the room to use it that often.

Edited by redkow97

There's both a medieval blacksmith group and a medieval trebuchet group around Ohio that would probably take it. I can ask one of the blacksmiths about it. We used to build little tiny ones and throw stuff around the office.

I'll have to measure the arm on this one, but I'm thinking 4-5'. Nothing that huge.

It's a killer cool thing to have (which is why I didn't let my brother just throw it away, and i haven't used it for scrap wood), but I've had it for months, and not even had a chance to put it together yet.

someone schedule a back-yard shoot! maybe it can throw clays :D

i'd have to modify the pouch and the slide area significantly, but that's a possibility.

But I still don't have a place to use it. I'm seriously considering taking it to Nelson on July 16 and just seeing what it can do in the infield (after 5:00 of course)

There was a kid in my high school woodshop class that built one..cool as hell untill it misfired during testing and the hook on the sling arm cought him in the yamsack and ripped it off...bloody mess he was..

There was a kid in my high school woodshop class that built one..cool as hell untill it misfired during testing and the hook on the sling arm cought him in the yamsack and ripped it off...bloody mess he was..

Just to clarify...ripped what off? :wtf:

I'm laughing my ass off :lol:

It uses standard weight plates from a home gym - or so I was told.

i have a few, but not a ton. Not sure how much they used when they originally threw tennis balls. I'll try to find out more.

**edit - went to call my brother, and realized i had a voice mail from Monday. "it will throw 50-75 yards, but we weren't using much weight at all. it can definitely throw a LOT further."

I'm thinking I'll put this sucker together tonight, and then if it's possible to bring it to Nelson next weekend, we can all launch some stuff a good ways into the infield.

Edited by redkow97

More "load" info. 20 lbs of weight yielded 75 foot tosses of the tennis ball.

I will have to check the clearance for large weights, but some modifications to fit more weight should be easy enough :D

Sounds very not worth the effort.

I agree. the class project was about accuracy; not outright distance.

I am told it will be capable of MUCH greater distances with additional weight, and some tweaks to the release hook.

But especially if I have to test it in my neighborhood, 75 feet and a tennis ball is plenty as a starting point. 300 feet and cue ball will come later :D