Craigslist bikes...WTF?

Jamez

So I've been trolling the Motorcycle ads on craigslist for many months. Its kinda fun to see what people are selling.

I did notice however that everyone wants SOOOOO much money for what equates to 2 wheeled dumpsters. There is occasionally a good deal or a nice bike but the majority of the ads are

Usually something like:

1974 Honda 550K

Does not run, hole in motor

Frame bent

No title

Sweet deal! Only 1000!

Now I understand that people leave room to "negotiate" but cmon. I also get that prices are higher due to riding season but KBB motorcycle disagrees with 99% of the ads.

Try it, go on craigslist and take a gander real quick.

* I have been kicking around the idea of possibly selling my TT and saving up this winter to plop cash down on a daytona 675, realistically what could I mabe expect from my bike?

I'm not for sure ready to sell but curiousity is killing the cat.

New oil, new tires, new battery, good shape, clear title. It has been cosmetically layed down from previous owner but not bad at all. Can't tell besides some light scratches and a scuffed frame slider

It's just a starting price :p You can always offer less... and really, if you were listing your bike on CL, wouldn't you list the starting price as higher than you thought you'd get, so that when they counter offer, you could meet in the middle, thereby getting your (true) desired price?

Everyone on craigslist thinks their pile of shit is a pile of gold.

You can probably get 3k for your TT. Condition, tires, body/paint, miles, and how much you value compared to how much they want, it determine what you'll get for it.

Also, look/post it on triumphrat, britrider and sites like that. People are sometimes willing to travel a bit to get the rarer bikes... I was.

Edited by Rctaylor

i just saw this one, the title is awesome

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/2533840220.html

So he puts a string of words in the bottom of his ad hoping that people searching for those terms will find his ad... Why would he think that someone searching for GSXR would suddenly change their mind and buy his Honda Shadow?? :nono:

Got that fuel pressure issue sorted?

That's this winter and I don't think its a big deal. Doesn't effect the bikes running.

Like I said, I'm not ready to sell, just kicking the idea around a lil.

--------------------------------

I think someone should create a thread dedicated to all the most rediculous craigslist ads for bikes. Updated everytime someone finds a "gem" on the list from all over Ohio. That's definately a thread id read a lot!

It's all about what the bike is worth to "you". As the seller you are bound to think more in terms of the $$$ you've already put into the bike than what someone is willing to buy it for. But that's why you are there trying to find that sweet deal where some sucker has a bike priced way low and you can get a good deal on it. Most can't afford to give the bike away, but if you set up a meeting to "see" the bike and talk about it, you can make a case for what you would be willing to pay for it vs what they want.

It's called barter. If there price is too high to start watch for the same bike back on there in a week for a lower price. :)

Funny, I just came from Craigslist where I've been trolling for dirtbikes. I just got a good laugh out of the 2004 F4i for $6500.

I have a "kind of" steet legal YZ426 that'll rip that skin off your ass I'll sell you for $2300. :dirtbike:

I think someone should create a thread dedicated to all the most rediculous craigslist ads for bikes. Updated everytime someone finds a "gem" on the list from all over Ohio. That's definately a thread id read a lot!

There used to be one like that somewhere on here. It may have been deleted in the Great Crash.

I have picked up all kinds of bikes on CL that people list for way above what they should be. I just picked up a 1975 KZ 400 to make into a bobber for $25.00 and the guy was asking $500.00 for it. After I saw it and saw all the work that needed done, he let it go for the $25.00 just to get rid of it.

It's just a starting price :p You can always offer less... and really, if you were listing your bike on CL, wouldn't you list the starting price as higher than you thought you'd get, so that when they counter offer, you could meet in the middle, thereby getting your (true) desired price?

id price it at what i want to sell it for.

if you price it higher, then you are going to get people turned off because its "out of their price range", even though what you really want for it could be in their price range.

You can probably get 3k for your TT. Condition, tires, body/paint, miles, and how much you value compared to how much they want, it determine what you'll get for it.

Also, look/post it on triumphrat, britrider and sites like that. People are sometimes willing to travel a bit to get the rarer bikes... I was.

Your one of tfhe few people here I've ridden with and have seen my bike but 3K seems

CrAzY. I picked it up off a real good friend for 1200:waaa:

I have replaced battery, tires, repainted a few small things, speedo sensor, plugs, oil, fender eliminator and integrated taillight but that's about it.

if I got 2500, id still be making a huge profit

Buyers are just as bad. I listed my CVO softtail convertible for $2000 below blue book and guys were offering $10,000 below asking price.

Like anyone would sell it to someone for less than they could wholesale it for to a dealer. Dumb.

Funny, I just came from Craigslist where I've been trolling for dirtbikes. I just got a good laugh out of the 2004 F4i for $6500.

I'm actually selling my dirtbike and it's actually is in good condition. Pm me if you want and we can talk.

But yea c list people try their hardest to rip others off

Ive had some good luck with CL..but I do have to agree that it seems 97% is over priced for what it is. when i first started looking at street bikes I was looking at CL a few times a week and couldn't believe what some people thought their crap was worth.

Had to add another one: CRF450R, year not specified, "I will take 6000 with no title". :nono:

I'm actually selling my dirtbike and it's actually is in good condition. Pm me if you want and we can talk.
I have a "kind of" steet legal YZ426 that'll rip that skin off your ass I'll sell you for $2300.

Thanks guys, but casually looking for a late model 250F.