Tire purchase warning

Jamez

I recently purchased a set of Dunlop Q2 tires. I had them installed at Cadre cycle and shortly afterwords I noticed I had a hopping of the front tire starting at 40mph and keeps getting worse the faster I go and is really bad at 60ish.

I called cadre cycle and the owner instucted me to stop back in. They rechecked the front tire even though I didn't purchase the tires from them. Turns out I have a bad tire.

So no biggie right? I bought them from MOTORCYCLE SUPERSTORE. I called them and they said to send them back the tire. They will in turn send the tire back to Dunlop. IF dunlop finds a problem with the tire then motorcycle superstore will issue me a credit.

I asked the operator how long this would take and he said " about 8 weeks or so".

I asked " what am I supposed to do for 8 weeks?"

He said " well normally people just buy another tire"

I said " great well I already spent over 220$ with you guys but I guess ill have to call you back" click.

BEWARE its not motorcycle superstores fault but they were a little rude about it. I recommend buying tires from an installer so you don't have to deal with this.

Long story summed up I'm going back to Cadre cycle Tuesday to buy another tire from them and sending this one back to the superstore. I have terrible luck. Murphys law I guess.

Hopefully this will steer someone away from buying tires online or atleast warn them about the dangers.

* and yes they have sweet tread

Cadre Cycle would have to do the same thing if you purchased the tire from them. It sounds like this is just how Dunlop works and the others may do the same. I get all my tires online but they also do track side service too. There is just no way most installers can compete with the online prices and I install them myself. Not sure what dangers you are steering us away from you would still be stuck for weeks for dunlop to check the tire.

Cadre Cycle would have to do the same thing if you purchased the tire from them. It sounds like this is just how Dunlop works and the others may do the same. I get all my tires online but they also do track side service too. There is just no way most installers can compete with the online prices and I install them myself. Not sure what dangers you are steering us away from you would still be stuck for weeks for dunlop to check the tire.

Cadre told me if I bought the tires from them then they would simply give me another tire and THEY would have to worry about getting it warranted.

Figured id atleast warn people what can happen, I had no idea. I thought 8 weeks was excessive to say the least.

a real shop wouldn't have a run around like a online store I'm sure. they're not out of a tire per se.

and since they are a dealer of that brand of tire, they'll have no issues getting a replacement.

there's no reason a customer should have to deal with the wait.

that's why a dealer exists.

edit, I see cadre said basically what I said.

Did they break the the bead relube and reseat first before condeming the tire? It's pretty easy to seat a bead off center and have the hop you describe. I would put money on a bad install before a bad tire.

This ^...

Eyeball the line on the tire near the rim and see if it's uniform all the way around.

A common tire mounting error. It will give a distinctive bouncing hop like you described.

Back in the day when I pried tube tires on and off, that was typical.

Have to always check it every time.

Thanks for the advise. I carefully examined the tire where it meets the rim and found nothing.

I doubt they broke the tire down and reseated it but I don't know for sure either way.

I won't know what/if there's anything wrong with it for atleast 8 weeks from Tuesday when it goes back to Dunlop