Headphones while you ride?

Josh1234

I do, I use the kind that have the removable ear pieces and do the orange ear plug mod and it blocks out probably 85% of wind noise and are really clear for the most part. I do not know how safe it is to wear earphones because you probably can not hear a horn with them in but a lot of people do it.

Nope I like to hear and I ride for peace and quiet relaxation. I don't get that much noise in my helmet. I really hope its nice this weekend so I can ride its been over a month it either rains or I'm helping babysit.

I have a scala teamset for my boy and I to talk while 2-up on the bike. When I'm on my own it's hooked up to my phone so i can stream pandora on my commutes. I have helmet speakers, distinctly different from headphones in that they don't block ambient sounds (not that I could hear much over the road/wind noise anyway.

I did have to put a small amplifier in-line with the headphones (2-AA batteries) to bump the volume up a bit.

I listen to music with ear buds almost 100% of the time I ride. I also only use one side (one ear) so I can still hear things like fire trucks etc. with wind noise and other things it never really sounds like it only playing in one ear (even though it is). Just my 2¢

Always!

I used to use my bb now I use my garmin w/ 8g sd card, running the plug threw the tank bag and plug into my coat. I think the media volume is at 50% with ear buds it's just right. I'll never go back to riding without.

Just an fyi, two plugs or headphones in while on a bike is illegal in Ohio. If you want the revised code I can get it for you when I am on the comp.

Funny you should mention this. That's exactly what the local County Sherriff told me last week when he stopped me for speeding :cry:

I ride with headphones most all of the time. It helps me not get mentally bored and start zoning out. I always make sure that it not so loud that I can't hear what is around me. I've always been able to hear fire/police vehicles.

As for it being illegal...I'm happy to pay the fine :) Hopefully, I'll never have to.

I had headphones in my helmet for a few years till I purchased the chatterbox now I just bluetooth music from my phone. Works real good depending on how good your helmet is. If your sporting a wal mart helmet on a bike with no windshield you may not hear much. But with a decent helmet you should be fine even on the highway

I do once in a while, but since I still haven't found any ear buds that will stay in (even after Casper's thread about the marshmallows and others) so I don't bother most of the time.

It is illegal to have both in. This is one of those laws that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. If I have ear plugs in, can I hear any better than if I have both ear buds in? But the law is the law, even if it's not quite right, and if you choose to ride with both in, you could get in trouble for it.

Here is the law for those interested.

4511.84 Earphones or earplugs on operator prohibited.

(A) No person shall operate a motor vehicle while wearing earphones over, or earplugs in, both ears. As used in this section, “earphones” means any headset, radio, tape player, or other similar device that provides the listener with radio programs, music, or other recorded information through a device attached to the head and that covers all or a portion of both ears. “Earphones” does not include speakers or other listening devices that are built into protective headgear.

(B) This section does not apply to:

(1) Any person wearing a hearing aid;

(2) Law enforcement personnel while on duty;

(3) Fire department personnel and emergency medical service personnel while on duty;

(4) Any person engaged in the operation of equipment for use in the maintenance or repair of any highway;

(5) Any person engaged in the operation of refuse collection equipment.

© Except as otherwise provided in this division, whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor. If, within one year of the offense, the offender previously has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to one predicate motor vehicle or traffic offense, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree. If, within one year of the offense, the offender previously has been convicted of two or more predicate motor vehicle or traffic offenses, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the third degree.

Effective Date: 10-30-1989