Lookin for your opinions

Hugo750katana

Im not sure if this is the right forum for this ? but here it goes anyways. Im lookin to possibly buy a new bike next year and im not sure but im lookin at a Buell. I want to stay with a sportbike but i want something different from the average joe with a 4 cylender rocket. Im not into the crazy 170+ top end speed like i used to be. im lookin for somthin with more torque and handling which lead me to the buell's.. they look kool as hell in my opinion and not everyone has them....i would like to no how the insurance rates are? hows the upkeep and routine maintanence, is it a dealer only upkeep? im curious to see what your opinions are.

Edited by jagr

You want a v twin for torque and be dependable and sporty...have you looked into the Suzuki SV1000 they r not rare but super nice bikes at affordable prices ...I can't comment on the ones you speak of never knew anyone that had one

I always liked the Buells, and I may still own one at some time in the future. I'd worry about parts support though - when Harley was still involved, parts were plentiful - now that they've cut ties, I doubt EBR will support the Harley-built bikes. All that aside, they were good looking, good performing bikes that had technology well ahead of their time. And other than some stuff on the early ones, not much in the way of recalls/major issues. I'd just make sure if you decide to get one that you get a lower mileage adult owned example.

You want a v twin for torque and be dependable and sporty...have you looked into the Suzuki SV1000 they r not rare but super nice bikes at affordable prices ...I can't comment on the ones you speak of never knew anyone that had one

^ This..

My 650 is reliable and enough bike IMO.. maintenance is cake on the V-twin.

I can't speak to insurance, but like any bike, more powerful and newer will mean more expensive.

All buells run a belt instead of a chain, so that's less maintenance.

the HD-based buells will have HD problems... The 1125R or CR are Rotax engines, and much more powerful.

If I could find an XB9 or XB12, I'd consider them. People just seem to ask a lot of money for them.

Might I suggest some of the following bikes, even though they are not sport bikes.

V-strom DL1000 , Yamaha Tenere S-10 , BMW GS1200 and Concourse. Three of which are not top speed bikes but offer good torque, excellent handling in less than idea conditions and make for good touring bikes due to their suspension which allows for added luggage compared to most sport bikes.

Buy the B-King for sale on here you don't see many of them.

that b-king is sick....like i siad in the thread, im just tryin to keep my eyes n ears open for some different bikes. lets just hope next spring brings some money too so i can purchase a new bike lol

Buell X1's are good for torque and flickability too. Think they run out of pull around 135mph? so they're not overkill speeders like most bigger bore bikes - but I think the belt drive is a bit restrictive if you want more or less power, can't simply swap out sprockets and adjust the chain to suit you. However, their handling / shorter wheelbase, and radial front brake systems are schaweeeet!!

Buell X1's are good for torque and flickability too. Think they run out of pull around 135mph? so they're not overkill speeders like most bigger bore bikes - but I think the belt drive is a bit restrictive if you want more or less power, can't simply swap out sprockets and adjust the chain to suit you. However, their handling / shorter wheelbase, and radial front brake systems are schaweeeet!!

i love the look of these but i was lookin more towards the firebolt for the bigger physical size and bigger seat for the occasional 2 up rides. if the bike ran outta pull around 130 or so id be happy with that. as for the belt, i have seen several bikes online witht a sprocket conversion kit to run a chain instead of a belt....

• 2 weeks later...
If you go with a buell, do the 9 series. The 12 is no fun to ride with its low rpm motor. You can at least rev the 9 like a motorcycle. the 12 is like a tractor.

I tend to disagree. I've ridden a xb12 a couple times and the low rpm doesn't take away any fun for me. Then again I'm used to my V4 and rarely end up over 8k

The super short wheelbase and high torque motor of.the xb12 makes for a wicked wheelie machine. My boss rides one and he says its fun but gets uncomfortable and he wishes he had his old superhawk.

Edited by CrazySkullCrusher

Well buells are great bikes but don't limit yourself. There are plenty of bikes that deliver that low end grunt you thirst for, some at a much lower initial price and maintenance cost than a buell. Keep in mind that the hd mills are 1940 technology at 2011 prices, there are fare better ways to make power than a long-throw, narrow bore pushrod operated 2 valve head motor. Yes the heads flow better and the internals are tougher than a sportster, but its still an out-dated design. If you want to get away from the cookie cutter inline 4 rice rocket there are several directions you can take. Honda made a shit ton of VFR bikes, they are a pain to work on but make plenty of power. The b king and other naked street fighters are tuned to deliver more power in the low and mid ranges, then there are the liter class v-twins like the superhawk, blackbird, rc51, sv1000 etc that do a great job of pegging the ole butt dyno. The v-rod is also a blast to ride, does 85 in first gear! The triumph triples offer a great 'best of both worlds' between twins and fours, plenty of low end and plenty of balls past 7k. The 90's BMW 100 'k' bikes also kick ass and look nothing like a jap 4-banger. The cylinder bank is latest down right to left across the frame, they blow a bit of smoke on start up but that German engineering shows its teeth when you grip it and rip it. I guess you should consider exploring the world of motorcycles and riding all different styles of sport and muscle bike before you pidgeon hole yourself into a buell. My $.02, hope it helps.