Any pointers when renting bikes?

NinjaDoc

I usually get the insurance because mine doesn't cover rentals.

Do some checking into the rental service. If there's recent reviews suggesting poor condition bikes, look elsewhere. Check to see what helmets they rent, because if you want proper head protection, bring your own.

Beyond that, be prepared to pay $125+ a day depending on the bike.

For what it's worth, I've had pleasant experiences renting from HD dealers, but you're stuck with a big cruiser. Sportbike rentals are a bit harder to find but they are out there.

Since HD is about the only one that rents bikes (not scooters) bring the the lube. I am in Ft. Myers on business and got two days off. Rented a 2012 103 softtail. Thought it was going to be $99/per day. Turns out that it was $148 per day, but they gave me the first for the 99. Two days at a cost of $262. Could have rented a expensive sports car for that. Don't waste your money. Go get a convertible sports car and you will save $ and have almost as much fun.

Hey thx for the inputs, will call the insurance to know the coverage, prolly it's a blasted idea to rent a bike for a day, but just have a feel it might be worth it, joined Houston riders to get there input on which road to take and all

Like others have said, double and triple check with your insurance company as to what is and isn't covered when it comes to rentals.

Generally, vehicles are insured, not drivers. Your insurance is often for YOUR vehicle, and won't extend to rentals. Conversely, your insurance will cover your vehicle even when you aren't the driver.