High Mileage Sport Touring Tires...

accel_is_my_drug

I agree with wicked94s10,I would be happy with one set a year.I go through two sets a year...at least.

I've had 4 different brands of tires on my FJR and none of them got over 8000 miles.

If you really want high miles you can do what some folks in the FJR community are doing...mount a car tire.They're geting about 30,000 miles.They refer to it as going to the dark side.It's not for me.

What are the factors affecting tire longevity?

The major ones I'm aware of:-

Tire pressure.

Torque.

Riding style.

Weight of bike+ rider.

I've never got more than 4000 miles from Conti-motion rear. I'm amazed at the numbers being posted up here: you guys must be built like jockeys (or ride really carefully)!! I'm pretty big - 210lbs, run 36/38psi, ride moderately aggressively and my bike is a pretty torquey.

What are the factors affecting tire longevity?

The major ones I'm aware of:-

Tire pressure.

Torque.

Riding style.

Weight of bike+ rider.

I've never got more than 4000 miles from Conti-motion rear. I'm amazed at the numbers being posted up here: you guys must be built like jockeys (or ride really carefully)!! I'm pretty big - 210lbs, run 36/38psi, ride moderately aggressively and my bike is a pretty torquey.

Moderately agressively? :lol:

I just had a set of Michelin Commander II's installed. THANKS HOBLICK!! They are supposed to get excellent mileage life. Some sites claim 25k! (I will believe that when I see that) Went to try them out yesterday but couldn't because my battery only has 0.5 VOLTS!!! arrgh!!!:mad:

They have ridden with Bam. That's why they're scoffing at his statement. I'd say Bam's riding style is "moderately aggressive". The funny part is.. that ride I was keeping up with him. That tells me he had plenty in the reserve tank. Sometimes' date=' Bam's riding is down-right frightening quick.

He's no Flash-Bang Asian, but he can hold his own.[/quote']

you shut your whore mouth! i'm going to just keep pretending like i'm the only one who has ever ridden with him even though i haven't ridden with him in like 3 years.

I'm not sure how you describe my riding style.I rode with pauly most of the day, and granda080 on the coshocton adventure last year, in the slow group. I keep my tire pressure at 36 in the rear and 42 in the front, and ran soft luggage year round on my triumph. I had just alittle over 8500 miles on my conti-motions on my sprint 955. They sure took a beating, and kept coming back for more. They never once slipped or made me feel uncomfortable, except when I hit some tar snakes in a tsunami on 270.

Lots of excellent reasons that motorcycle tires look different that car tires.

name a few while i show you pictures of my friend roger tearing it up on the dragon...

sigpic37435_2.gif

x-46.jpg

x-64.jpg

are MC tires available in runflat?

do they handle 30,000 miles on a bike this heavy?

available in aquatreads?

same grip while braking upright?

no, no chance, not really, nope...

name a few while i show you pictures of my friend roger tearing it up on the dragon...

Sure no problem.

• The rubber compounds are much different due the the intended application.
  • The carcass of a car tire is not designed to flex under the weight of a motorcycle and provide an optimal contact patch.
  • A car tire will actually give a bigger contact patch when going straight, but a smaller contact patch while turning. This gives inconsistent handling. It may be a good choice for drag racing, but not for street bike riding.
  • When transitioning from a left to right turn or vice versa, the round profile of a motorcycle will smoothly track from one side to the other. With a car tire the track of the rear end will 'jump' side to side by the width of the tire (try this at home with that spare tire in your garage), which could result in a crash.

Of course a crash in no big deal when you just saved 175 bucks on a tire.

• Upvote 1