Best rider to rider communicators

Mary#17

Hello,

I saw another similar post but didn't want to thread jack. What are your experiences and reviews of rider to rider communicators (bike to bike)? I don't care about music or ability to make calls. My husband and I had a system a while back that used some Motorola two way radios connected to a push to talk button that connected to a headset in the helmet. They worked fine under 45 mph but were almost useless above that due to wind noise. Now this was a long time ago and I'm sure there have been great improvements but I don't want to buy a junkie system again that doesn't work. Thanks in advance for any comments!

Mary

I like the Sena SMH-10. have used them for several years and could even communicate at over 100 mph in full coverage helmets. they are bluetooth enabled so you can connect to phone, music, gps, etc. waterproof/stormproof and last all day. easy to use and can connect up to 4 units for intercom. we used them on a 4,000 mi. trip and we use them around town.

from everything i've heard is chatterbox is the most popular route to go but probably the most costly as well. I've gone back and forth wanting one but quite frankly when I'm riding I just want to relax and listen to my music and not be bothered by my asshat friends :lol:

• Downvote 1

Yeah I hear you. I keep going back and forth on if we need them or not. The Ducs have horrible fuel range so we are stopping every 90 miles or so anyway but at least a couple times a trip, I wish I could talk. If I knew they worked well, it would help in the decision for sure.

Mary

If I knew they worked well, it would help in the decision for sure.

With a full face helmet the Scala's and Chatterboxes work great. Wife and I are on one bike but we can hear each other just fine with our Chatterboxes. Anything less than a full face helmet and it is a crap shoot.

I've had the scala rider q2 works great. Basically if you can see the other person you can talk. So the range is better on flat open ground. In the hills they work great too but your not going to get the half mile range like in the open. I've made phone calls with it at 85mph no problem. I've always only used a full face helmet so I don't know how well the work otherwise. I've used them on my old cbr 1000 with an hotbodies loud ass exhaust into triple digit speeds no problem. The only thing is if you talk to yourself or sing while riding you might activate it and your buddy will know your crazy or singing brittany spears. They are great so your not using the retarded hand signs while riding to comunicate.

I prefer retarded hand signals. Point to helmet for cop, point to tank for gas, otherwise shut up and ride.

you should see my hand signal for "you left your god damn turn signal on"

I like the Sena SMH-10. have used them for several years and could even communicate at over 100 mph in full coverage helmets. they are bluetooth enabled so you can connect to phone, music, gps, etc. waterproof/stormproof and last all day. easy to use and can connect up to 4 units for intercom. we used them on a 4,000 mi. trip and we use them around town.

^and unbelievably easy to use. Read the reviews:)

• 1 year later...

Scala. Got Nolan helmets, it has a radio option, but opted for the Scala, 'cause it can move from helmet to helmet. Intercom, radio and can go up to 8 folks, provided they all have same sets. FM radio, GPS (not that I use it....all that road info dies with me), bluetoof and MP3.... Works well, on 520 let wife run out ahead, seems to be a line of sight communicator....dropped over the hill and no can hear me now!

Otherwise, it was just the half dozen or so telling the wife......yer blinker is on.

Edited by littlecarbsbigsmiles

Thinking about grabbing one of the Sena systems. Either SMH5, or SMH10.

To those of you have experience with them, how are they? Can you listen to two devices at once? As in, if I had music playing, could I also hear another rider over the intercom, or GPS?

Check out the interphone F5 dual kit we sell, has the most features out of any unit i have seen, and longest range!

I have the F4 as well as my friend and it works great. Range is decent and quality is great. We used em on our way down to KY once and being able to talk the entire time was amazing not to mention it got dark on us and rainy so having me lead and him follow I could tell him my plans to merge and he could secure the lane before hand. Also randomly bursting into song always makes for a good trip. Battery life is great on these as well