bikes gone but new car!! (STI )

red1993sol

it was indeed. It was actually cheaper too and at the time I picked it because it was a better option as a DD

4675_648173083995_21400303_37566016.jpg

LOVE that car. So by "cheaper", what does that translate to? (wanting to see if something like that is affordable to me and my "cash only" buying methods)

NoBama 2012

I have a 2011 Legacy 2.5 Premium, but it has the CVT auto trans. It is still a fun car. After the warranty runs out, I might play with this one a bit, but it is all family car looking. I want to get rid of the goofy looking plastic-chrome on the grill and around the side windows.

LOVE that car. So by "cheaper", what does that translate to? (wanting to see if something like that is affordable to me and my "cash only" buying methods)

Back in 08 when I bought it I was down to this 04 G35 and a white 06 STi. The STi was list 26k and the G35 was 20k. Due to how awful the paint looked and the length of time the G35 sat on the lot, they were willing to deal to get it out of there so I got it a a little bit cheaper. I sold it 2 years ago for 16k with 60k miles on it. I have no idea what they are going for now

Back in 08 when I bought it I was down to this 04 G35 and a white 06 STi. The STi was list 26k and the G35 was 20k. Due to how awful the paint looked and the length of time the G35 sat on the lot, they were willing to deal to get it out of there so I got it a a little bit cheaper. I sold it 2 years ago for 16k with 60k miles on it. I have no idea what they are going for now

When I bought my 2005 Legacy it was in 2008 and I had to choose between it (18.5k), a 2004 G35 (Auto, $20k) and a 2007 G35 (2-door manual, $27k)

I wanted AWD and stick, but the G35x/G37x doesn't come in stick. I HATE autos with a passion, so I went with the Legacy.

Right after I bought it they took it back for a day to complete some final repairs per the sales contract - and they gave me a brand new G35x as a loaner for the day. And I didn't like it. The acceleration lurched and the brakes were too grabby. After a couple miles my passengers were feeling sick.

If they made a 4-door G37x in stick and fixed the grabby brakes then I'd be interested. The Legacy GT is rumored to be going away - plus the 2010-model is really not sitting well with fans of the 2005-2009 style. I think I have to look after this car for a while because I may not be able to replace it.

Right after I bought it they took it back for a day to complete some final repairs per the sales contract - and they gave me a brand new G35x as a loaner for the day. And I didn't like it. The acceleration lurched and the brakes were too grabby. After a couple miles my passengers were feeling sick

Learn to drive Grandpa :p

The coupe and the X might as well have been 2 different cars. The power plant and interior look were about the only things that were the same on them

also, if you have a base WRX, do not try to use the handbrake for powersliding, you will destroy the center diff (supposedly), again not a problem with the STI

If you keep the clutch engaged, yes because you are sending power to only the front wheels (the sti's center diff opens on e-brake engagement), otherwise no since there would be no power going to it and therefore no force to break it.

I though I would bump this thread with some more scoobie pics. I just took these after I washed my 2012 wrx today:

04072012103.jpg

04072012101.jpg

04072012104.jpg

Actually, Imprez55, that's not correct.

On a STi, when you apply the handbrake, the center differential defaults to open.

On a WRX, there is no sure capability, and you will destroy your center differential.

Read post 13.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=679521&highlight=ebrake+slide

Actually, Imprez55, that's not correct.

On a STi, when you apply the handbrake, the center differential defaults to open.

On a WRX, there is no sure capability, and you will destroy your center differential.

Read post 13.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=679521&highlight=ebrake+slide

I agree fully on the operation of each (even mentioning it in my original post) however just quoting a post on NASOIC doesn't convince me that it will be destroyed. I am more trying to argue what is contained in post 22 (which is actually agreeing with post 13). Since its a viscous style diff, small lockup will not break it especially without added power from the drive train. I can see how there would be increased wear or energy dissipation through heat but with moderate use in small doses I can't imagine how it would be catastrophic. If you are properly using LFB and the gas there is no need to use it for long periods of time or even through most of a turn (or at all in most cases); even if you watch rally/auto-x drivers with eLSD the engagement time is very short. There have been enough other iterations of awd with VLSD and there has never been more of a discussion about the damage of ebraking on it than on a wrx (especially on NASOIC). I could certainly be wrong but there have been enough people claiming moderate use with no issue that I would need more convincing to switch sides, possibly from a more physics standpoint. Its the same style of thinking that made me put a hitch on my wrx. The US version is not rated for towing but enough people have claimed no catastrophic failures and enough other cars are rated for it (UK version for example).

Not an issue on my 300HP fwd sts lol

The sort of person who will do handbrake powerslides in their car probably does other stunting too. Stunting leads inexorably to busted crap.

I tracked my car a couple of times. never hit anything or went off track (at least not with all 4 wheels :D ) but I wore through half the life of my tires in two days. Driving fast around a track is not unexpected in a Legacy GT, but I still had to budget for new tires.

i just pop the parking brake (left foot) when playing in the snow...popping the rear out around corners as I drive around town

I suggested it to my friend who has a 09 WRX, and he informed me that it would break it... so sad that such a car is so easily broken. :dunno:

I suggested it to my friend who has a 09 WRX, and he informed me that it would break it... so sad that such a car is so easily broken. :dunno:

The engineer is confused. How is this different from any car whose center diff is permanently in limited slip mode? If any car cannot instantly open its center diff upon e-brake assertion, then it would have the same issue. This is not some concept unique to Subaru, and therefore WRXs. It's not sad, it simply is the basic design nature of any fixed LSD. Shit, you can burn up any fixed front/rear/center LSD if you manage to lock one side of the output and apply power for too long.

Are you saying Subaru is the only company to ever save money on a basic 4-wd car by having certain models with and certain models without a full-blown computer controlled DCCD?

I'm not saying anything bad about subaru, or anything else, just seems like a problem if you can shatter a center diff by popping the parking brake. I have zero experience with AWD cars...so i can't say if any other cars are the same way. The only exp I have is with an 86 4wd blazer, pop the parking brake (or the regular brake), and you had 4 wheel stoppage in 4wd mode (it had posi front and back) once the transfer case was in 4wd, and the wheel hubs were locked, all 4 wheels spun at the same speed.

It was rock solid, didn't really care what you did to it. the weak link there was the rear u joint, took me 5 minutes to swap when it would start getting noisy.