I'm having a bad day

SpeedTriple44444

Sorry for you loss. I lost one a few years back and now my one dog is about 10yrs old. So we went and got a new puppy the other day. The kids love the little pup, but that potty training is a mutha when its been 10 yrs since last time.

It's hard explaining to your 6 and 7 year old kids why you have to take the dog and put them down. Had to do that last night.

I don't think we will get another one for a while because of all the training that we don't have time to do. Our Aussie was a spectacularly well-behaved dog. She never went in the house unless she was sick. I don't think we will be that lucky again. She was a couple years old when we got her.

I don't think we will get another one for a while because of all the training that we don't have time to do. Our Aussie was a spectacularly well-behaved dog. She never went in the house unless she was sick. I don't think we will be that lucky again. She was a couple years old when we got her.

I wouldn't rush into another dog right away, but we get TONS of great 1-4 yr old dogs through Secondhand Mutts. Hank was 8 months when we got him, and Kramer was closer to 4 years.

www.secondhandmutts.org, and click on "adoptables" or something. It might not be totally up-to-date. Check their facebook page too.

My wife is head of their foster committee, so she coordinates the volunteers, and it's generally a really good group of people who train the dogs as if they're going to keep them. It makes them better pets, and thus easier to adopt.

If you see one you're in love with and I can convince the wife, I can pull one and make sure (s)he knows the basics and is 95% house-trained. Or better yet, I can try to push that dog toward the people who fostered Kramer before we adopted him. He's been an angel since day one in our house...

I got done burying her last night and went for a 50 mile ride down to a burger dive I like, had a big greasy burger and fries, BS'd with a cool old guy sitting at the counter, and rode home. Still wasn't feeling great, but better. Motorcycles are good therapy.

I'm really sorry, I didn't mean to make light of that situation. I pray every day I don't have to go through something like that. My kids are the most important thing in the world to me. I was only trying to say that the way a pet depends on you is similar to the way your kids do; that innocent trust they have. It felt like betrayal to end her life... like I had given up. Definitely no way an animal can compare to a kid though.

Really sorry to hear about your pup. I feel your pain bro. We just had to put Norman down 3 weeks ago, after having him for 12 years. I'm sure it doesn't compare to your own child, but they truely are somewhat of a family member after so long. We are not ready to get another dog yet either, and just not sure when we will be ready.

Norm.jpg

SophandNorm.jpg