How to not drive your boat

cmh_sprint

Boat was taking part in a speed contest on Lake of the Ozarks. The guy driving is lucky nobody was seriously hurt or killed. I question his skills because he either didn't have the boat trimmed out properly or had no idea how to deal with the wake of the other boat. A 38' Fountain should not have pitched like that if properly driven.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQpq1_pfIgk

I question the fact that if your in a speed contest why so may occupants. Also why are they standing up. Boat under power= sit the fuck down.

I was going to say the same thing. And I wouldn't doubt the guy had no idea how to control his boat, most people with a boat don't have the slightest clue about what to do and it's scary that almost anyone can buy a boat and take it out without a license. Growing up in a boating family and always being on lake erie and around the islands I have seen some crazy shit and I'd say boating is kind of like owning a motorcycle, some people truly learn and enjoy it and try to stay safe, while the majority do it because it looks fun and they think they look cool doing it and disregard their safety and everyone around them.

On a serious note...

What is a "fountain"?

A speedboat manufacturer.

Also, how do you know this was a speed contest...Any normal sponsored event, all passengers would be required to wear life jackets.

Finally, he completely failed at managing that wake. Definitely chose the wrong approach angle.

guys at work showed this to me....they had broken it down into individual impacts. Watch the guy in the blue shirt, takes 3 hits to the face. Girl in the pink gets KO on the second good impact.

Crazy...I'll stick to two wheels.

Plenty of discussion of this over on oso. One of the occupants even involved in the discussion. Not an organized speed event, just happened the same weekend as the big shootout there.

Most important thing, that blonde in the yellow bikini? She's either 48 or 49 by the police report!:bow:

Yeah you definitely have to be sharp when running a boat at speed. I only have a 24' boat that runs about 65 but at speed you have to be aware or you can get f'd up. This guy was probably running with some boats to either side of him and got crossed up in there wakes. When he should have gotten directly behind them or gone through the wakes closer to perpendicular.

^ The one chic had a broken eye socket. Does that count? This made the national news yesterday. The news lies like no tomorrow but they showed the lake choppy as hell that day and I don't believe they were racing anyone. It was just an asshole pilot who probably regrets going full throttle after all the charges.

yoww, hard hits. Even hard roll. Sunglasses explode off passenger's faces and fly away.

What the heck was he doing chopping the throttle full on and off? durrrr

dubstep edit:

[ame]

[/ame]

long version of original here edit:

Video Released of Boat Wake Injuries at Lake of Ozarks

The news cameraman was hitching a ride, and attached a camera for the ride to a restaurant.

Edited by ReconRat
  • Upvote 1

The full on full off is a big problem, throws off the balance of the boat too. Could also possibly lead to a prop blowing out the water.

Tres Martin, put up his suggestion in that thread if your a member there.

RS, you on OSO?

yoww, hard hits. Even hard roll. Sunglasses explode off passenger's faces and fly away.

dubstep edit:

Hillarious version for 2 reasons, shows how the driver looks like he gets knocked out from an invisible punch and the incredible water facial the woman in the green bikini gets. LMAO!

Ok, I can understand the throttle chop for over revving the prop. Although couldn't control throttle fast enough for the situation. He's lucky he wasn't knocked out with the throttle full on. Do these boats use throttle lanyards or deadman switches?

Most of the high performance ones do. That one I cannot tell, but hearing the chirps after the engines stall / die make me think there is.

As you ask, I will only mention 1 of the reasons for loss of control, many factors play into but this could have been avoided. The throttle motion used and release of the throttle,(power) cause weight to shift forward, physics allow stern weight and weight from cockpit loaded with passengers to continue forward motion. result is stern wants to pass bow as forward nose has become parasitic to water, exagerated from vessel taking false keel on both sides. sorry for delay but done this while in airport. Safe boating!
Edited by Hydrant

Ok, I can understand the throttle chop for over revving the prop. Although couldn't control throttle fast enough for the situation. He's lucky he wasn't knocked out with the throttle full on. Do these boats use throttle lanyards or deadman switches?

that was one of my first questions when watching the video....there has to be some safety mechanism to keep the boat from going WOT with no one in control.

I believe most performance boats have a safety switch. Mine is right below my steering wheel. When running hard or in rough water I'll tether it to my self and if you get bounced away from the wheel it will kill the motors. It's similiar concept as the jet skis.

dubstep edit:

long version of original here edit:

Video Released of Boat Wake Injuries at Lake of Ozarks

The news cameraman was hitching a ride, and attached a camera for the ride to a restaurant.

I see your boat wreck and raise you the remix of said boat wreck. Watch the whole video.

^^^^ FAIL

:lol: