Slow paced ride 9-15-12

Uncle Punk

Leaving from the CircleK on the corner of 82 & 83 at 9:00AM

70mph pace on 55mph marked roads, 10mph over on all others, passing on double yellows at rider’s discretion and responsibility. No stunting or passing. Change of position in line will take place at stops. Help and questions will be offered and answered at stops. No one left behind and everyone will be grouped back together at all turns. This will be a much more relaxed ride than folks are used to if you have been on a ride with me leading before. I will do what I can to help anyone within my limited abilities; I have no formal coaching experience but have some track time. The first and last 60 miles of this ride will be straight and boring if you are new to riding with us is patient it gets good after Millersburg. We will be meeting some riders in Millersburg about 10:10AM but this is a guess, time can and will change based on many factors. Gas stops will be about 70 miles apart +/-10 miles. Total ride distance 294 miles and should take 7-1/2 hours, this is just a guess about time though.

I need you to have a bike in good repair, full tank of gas when we leave and be on time. By on time I mean we start, kick-stands up, wheels turning at 9:00AM. If you are not willing to go 70mph on the straights or pass on double yellows please don't show up expecting us to wait for you. We will wait for you to go as slow as you need to in the curves, stay within your comfort zone. I you go over a center line coming out of a curve you are not in control, slow down.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=OH-83+S%2FAvon+Belden+Rd%2FWooster-Avon+Lake+Rd&daddr=S+Washington+St+to:OH-83+S+to:W+Riverside+Dr%2FState+Route+60+N+to:OH-555+N%2FOH-78+W%2FOH-78+Scenic+W+to:Moxahala+Ave+to:39.927682,-82.0017361+to:Zane+St+to:OH-666+N%2FN+River+Rd+to:Main+St+to:W+9th+St+to:40.3353489,-82.0067627+to:Ohio+60+N%2FState+Route+60+N+to:US-62+E+to:W+Milltown+Rd+to:OH-82+W%2FElyria-Twinsburg+Rd%2FRoyalton+Rd&hl=en&sll=41.314366,-82.020887&sspn=0.00109,0.002411&geocode=FWhodgIdbXYc-w%3BFV9_agId-goe-w%3BFUbXXQIdPvgg-w%3BFZsBXQId5_Ee-w%3BFcAYXAIdOhcd-w%3BFUD9YAId_rIc-w%3BFYI_YQIduMAc-ykxMpJiXu43iDGcRqql0Ehqvg%3BFQKOYQIdJ8Uc-w%3BFdYxZAIdfMsc-w%3BFYwwZAIdwp4c-w%3BFVYqZAIdrooc-w%3BFfR3ZwIdFq0c-yndK5CZDZ03iDFgN9Fbdvi81g%3BFcTAaQIdHhAd-w%3BFUQuagIdsPcd-w%3BFfE3bwId86gd-w%3BFQdodgIdJnYc-w&mra=ls&via=6,11&t=m&z=8

To keep from reposting this:

http://www.ohioriders.net/showthread.php?t=20252&highlight=pace

http://www.ohioriders.net/showthread.php?p=884955#post884955

http://www.ohioriders.net/showthread.php?t=98828

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Delaney+ridesmart&oq=Delaney+ridesmart&gs_l=youtube-reduced.3..35i39.8999.17866.0.18626.13.11.1.1.1.0.93.950.11.11.0...0.0...1ac.1.iBbL5PaTHT

Go find online or buy both Twist of the wrist and Twist of the wrist II

Everything below is out of order and from the original post. Ignore everything below it's confusing even to me. Deleting it would be best but I ain't gonna.

<<<CHANGES>>>

See post #37 for explination

I will do both days if needed in case anyone made plans to do this on Saturday. Let me know if you were planning to do this and haven't spoke up publicly yet.

See post #54 for my decision to flake on riding both days I will be riding Sunday only.

My nephew is a new rider & I would like to expose him to riding the roads south of us so we are going out from 82 & 83 Saturday morning at 10:00AM. I have a route in mind with alternatives that will change based on how he is doing, minimum 181 miles maximum 296 miles. I haven't seen him ride yet but he picked up a TL1000 a few months ago and I'm guessing he is ready for some help. I'm kind of excited to take him out, I remember giving him rides when he was little and hope this is something we can share.

I intend to make him go slow first doing things right so this will not be a ride like others might be used to with me. If anyone up our way is interested in this kind of ride you are welcome to join us.

Edited by Uncle Punk
  • Upvote 1

It wouldn't be my first choice for him but he got a good deal on it. He rode a dual sport last year and I figured we would kill that bike taking it down south.

There is so much I want to teach him I almost don't know where to start. I don't want to give him sensory overload or forget what I'm doing and suck him into going too fast. My hope is he will want to do a track day without me insisting he do one. The kid is bigger than me so none of my track riding stuff will fit him, which makes your first track day expensive if you have to buy equipment.

I was thinking of taking my friend who started riding a few months ago on the same roads. Didn't want to go with the normal crew for obvious reasons. He has an 05 ninja 636 and is prey proficient on it but I was looking at starting a little earlier.

We talked about starting earlier but this time of year it's so cold earlier that you need good gear or a way to pack it for the eventual temperature change, plus the roads are still wet from dew. I don't think he has enough gear for both climates even though he suggested an earlier start time.

I am looking at 83 to 541 to 60 to 39 back to 83 for the short loop (181 miles, 4-1/2 hours) or 83 to 78 to 555 to 666 to 60 to 39 back to 83 for the longer loop (296 miles 7-1/2 hours) depending on how he is doing or if he enjoys what we are doing.

Nephew Punk wants to try doing wheelies but has been told he can't on this ride, I'm worried about making too many rules and giving too much instruction that it will suck the life out of any fun. I doubt this will happen but his first U.P. ride will be by himself if he shows up late, that is the first rule of group riding, 1. Be on time.