What riding pants do you wear?

nautical1

I'm looking at getting a pair of summer pants that vent better than my Fieldsheer Mercury 2.0 pants but I'm stuck on deciding between a textile overpant or reinforced jeans. I've tried doing some research but it's hard to find a good review on some of the gear, especially post-crash. For the textiles I was looking at either the Scorpion Deuce pants which consist of 600 Denier ballistic nylon and mesh chassis, or the new version of the Teknic Supervent made of nylon mesh and 600D Cordura (but I can't find any reviews on these but one).

As for jeans I was looking at the Drayko line of jeans and pairing them with separate armor (although I don't know much about how that CE rating works on the jeans) or the Motoport cordura jeans (600d or 1000d). Some people say that cordura is a good material and others say that it will shred fairly quickly. I'm really just wanting good info without any bs or speculation but that seems to be hard to find. And whatever pants I get will be for commuting but more so longer rides on the weekend.

I'm open to other suggestions except leather since I don't want to have to change if I go somewhere and it may be too hot in the summer. I'm also looking to stay in the sub-$200 range.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by nautical1

I had sliders but they basically disintegrated within a year. I wore them ALL the time an the denim just wore out. The Kevlar is still good though. I have 2 pairs of icon textile pants that I'm trying to loose enough weight to fit in to :lol:

I have a pair of sliders 4.0 Kevlar jeans, they have Velcro pockets for ce armor in the knees. I've crashed them once but it was into a ditch so can't speak for protection but they held up fine in the gravel and dirt. I wore them all last season and they aren't falling apart. If you get some order a size down, they are cut very big. You can get some serious swamp ass on hot days and if you free-ball like I do the Kevlar (which has a soft fabric over it) can start to chap your ass a bit on long rides, I just wear some boxer-briefs under if I'm going to be riding for more than a few hours.

Olympia X Moto all season transition pants. Removable and adjustable height CE approved Motion Flex armor at knees. Removable EVA compression foam at hips,leather einforcement panels from inside thigh to hem bottom. I also have the Kilimanjaro jacket and pants combo.

Thanks for all the input so far.

Revzilla has some really good review clips you can watch.

I've watched plenty of reviews but I like to know real world results from people who wear different materials and how stuff holds up in a crash. I'm really just trying to get an idea of what will be comfortable/cool in hot weather, but also have good protection.

For those with kevlar pants, do all the pants get really warm in 80+ degree temps? The pants I have now are too warm for hot weather and become uncomfortable, so if that's the case I may have.to reconsider.

Edited by nautical1

I like the Scorpion Deuce, comfortable fit, nice air vent system for warmer days, removable inside liner to cut down on wind/air flow when needed, side legs zip up and down for easy on and off without having to remove boots, removable ce armor in the knees and hips (remove before washing), and reflective nightviz stitching. Also didn't hurt that I found them at IP this past spring in my size L (34 Waist x 34 Length) for 99 bucks. Everywhere else I looked online, they ranged from $159 - $189. I may never have tried them had I not found them at that price. Hope this review helps!

Edited by Jay848
mis-spell

I like the Scorpion Deuce, comfortable fit, nice air vent system for warmer days, removable inside liner to cut down on wind/air flow when needed, side legs zip up and down for easy on and off without having to remove boots, removable ce armor in the knees and hips (remove before washing), and reflective nightviz stitching. Also didn't hurt that I found them at IP this past spring in my size L (34 Waist x 34 Length) for 99 bucks. Everywhere else I looked online, they ranged from $159 - $189. I may never have tried them had I not found them at that price. Hope this review helps!

Thanks a lot for this. The zippers go all the way up to the waist don't they? Does the armor seem to stay in place as well or is it loose?

Thanks a lot for this. The zippers go all the way up to the waist don't they? Does the armor seem to stay in place as well or is it loose?

Yes you are correct, my apologies. I just checked them, zipper all the way up to waist with velcro flap along sides that hide zippers. Armor is inside mesh jersey material easily removable and stays in place pretty good I thought, especially for an over pant. Found myself adjusting the knee armor once in awhile because they seemed to drop toward the shins slightly but was never bothersome. I also at times wore them with just slider shorts underneath, that was on those 90+ scorching summer days though.

• Upvote 1

find something that you will actually wear. I have had a few different pair of summer weather pants, and found a few to be uncomfortable in high temps.

i just sold my pair of Spidi NL5 pants. wore them maybe 2 times and then i never wore them again, the fit just wasnt there for me.

im a Huge Dainese and Revit fan, so im on the hunt now for a pair of summer pants from them. I still do alot of research online before purchase. watch reviews on youtube and read reviews on websites.

its really hard for me to nail down gear that i like and will keep wearing.

I have a pair of Firstgear TPG that I like best....I had a pair of Aerostitch Darien, but sold them because I like the Firstgear better...

I almost never ride without them...

(I almost said I almost never ride without pants) :D

Edited by jnor

find something that you will actually wear. I have had a few different pair of summer weather pants, and found a few to be uncomfortable in high temps.

its really hard for me to nail down gear that i like and will keep wearing.

That's where I'm at now with pants and gloves. Both are too warm for the summer and make me dread having to wear them in anything above 80.

AGV Teluride, knee and hip armor. Insulated and rain liners, vents on thighs. Got them at MotoSport.

How well do they breathe with the vents on them? My Fieldsheer pants have vents but they don't seem to help too much.

And does anyone know how Cordura differs from 600 denier fibers? I keep reading mixed reviews on which is better.