06 SV 650S - Advice on what bike to buy next?

silentcropduster

Go with your gut. We're all just throwing "food for thought" out there. If I had the means, I'd have 15 bikes in the garage because I still haven't found that perfect "do everything" bike, though I came close to buying a WeeStrom because it sounds like it'd be pretty close.

Your money man, get what you want. Or tell the GF she can't ride anymore. Get a solo seat cover (from Suzuki) so you can ditch the rear seat. "Sorry babe, no place for you to sit".

Go with your gut. We're all just throwing "food for thought" out there. If I had the means, I'd have 15 bikes in the garage because I still haven't found that perfect "do everything" bike, though I came close to buying a WeeStrom because it sounds like it'd be pretty close.

Your money man, get what you want. Or tell the GF she can't ride anymore. Get a solo seat cover (from Suzuki) so you can ditch the rear seat. "Sorry babe, no place for you to sit".

They are pretty damn close to the perfect machine for a large majority of riders. And to the OP, I would also highly recommend one of those as well......and they move on down the road and handle more than adequately.

Last year I made suspension mods to a my Gladius SFV650 that cost about $300. It made a huge difference and handles WAY better than I thought it would. It will hustle though the corners just as fast as some 'more capable' bikes I have owned.

Lately, I've been seriously considering a 2013 Street Triple R, but ultimately I don't think it will do anything better than my modded 650 (in the corners anyway).

btw, did anyone suggest the Street Triple?

Lately, I've been seriously considering a 2013 Street Triple R, but ultimately I don't think it will do anything better than my modded 650 (in the corners anyway).

btw, did anyone suggest the Street Triple?

CCM has had this older one on the floor for quite awhile. Good folks. I don't know if its a good price or not.

http://www.clintoncountymotorsports.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=01078607X3K21K2013J9I42I42JAMQ1368R0&veh=154166&pov=2833756

Costly maintenance? Like valve service and fork fluid? That's just part of owning a bike' date=' brother. A VFR with Vtec will be more costly to service than a SV650.

Actually, if it has 20k and you haven't had it serviced, you're neglecting your responsibilities as a motorcycle owner. :([/quote']

I never said it hasn't been serviced lol I have a friend who races flat track & also owns his own shop. he said I will need new sprockets & a chain this next riding season.He checked the bike over when i bought it, it will also need the valves checked, but that's about it for now.

I guess I'm just worried about something major going wrong, bec the bike is 8 years old now lol

The VFR 800 does look like a nice bike, but it also appears to weigh a lot more than my SV

The VFR 800 does look like a nice bike, but it also appears to weigh a lot more than my SV

it took me all of a couple rides to get used to the weight coming from 600RR and 636. The only time I notice it now is when trying to walk the bike to move it

Never put any miles on a light bike... Only ever ridden a vmax and the vfr.. So it feels light to me haha... I went down the road on an 883, vstrom, and lbts 90 gsxr 600... The weight never bothered me on anything really.. Once you're moving, it all feels the same imo... The only time I notice any weight is with a passenger at walking speeds.. And it's more of a top heavy thing than weight itself.. I imagine most sporty bikes have that

But I'm a big guy and fully geared I add about 275 to the vfr... It will keep up with sport bikes all day long, even with my slow big ass on it haha

Edited by Steve Butters

You havn't out grown the SV as they are way more capable than the vast majority of riders.

They are one of the more reliable bike available and are low maintenance.

Tons of aftermarket support for racing or touring.

A chain and sprocket are fairly minor costs, less than new tires.

So there is no reason to get rid of the SV except that you want something different. Nothing wrong with that but just be aware of your reasons so you can manage your budget.

The Vstrom is a great bike. It is more comfortable than the SV650, especially for the passenger and is better on gravel/poor roads. However it is the same motor as the SV in a taller heavier bike. So not an upgrade for performance or handling over the SV650.

Craig

• Upvote 1

low grade cartridge style forks are still easier to adjust and have more upgrade potential than the SV's damping-rod units.

If the OP does decide to keep the SV, a GSXR fork swap or RaceTech cartridge emulators would improve the bike a lot. The emulators are likely cheaper, and although they're kind of a pain in the ass to adjust, once you get them right, there's no reason to pop the caps on the forks unless you're changing fluid.

I had cartridge emulators in my F2 track bike, and that is what pretty much EVERY lightweight twins racer uses to stay class legal with WERA. I'm betting you could get damn close to properly adjusted on your first try if you weighed yourself in your riding gear, and spent $120 on springs and proper weight fork oil. Someone will be close enough to your weight to tell you how many turns you want on the emulators. Then just back it off half a turn, because you're not racing the thing, or leave it where they tell you because you'll have a passenger at times. (it will just be a little harsh while you're solo).

low grade cartridge style forks are still easier to adjust and have more upgrade potential than the SV's damping-rod units.

If the OP does decide to keep the SV, a GSXR fork swap or RaceTech cartridge emulators would improve the bike a lot. The emulators are likely cheaper, and although they're kind of a pain in the ass to adjust, once you get them right, there's no reason to pop the caps on the forks unless you're changing fluid.

I had cartridge emulators in my F2 track bike, and that is what pretty much EVERY lightweight twins racer uses to stay class legal with WERA. I'm betting you could get damn close to properly adjusted on your first try if you weighed yourself in your riding gear, and spent $120 on springs and proper weight fork oil. Someone will be close enough to your weight to tell you how many turns you want on the emulators. Then just back it off half a turn, because you're not racing the thing, or leave it where they tell you because you'll have a passenger at times. (it will just be a little harsh while you're solo).

I have a pretty heavily modded 2011 Mazda Speed 3 & I'ma member of mazdaspeedforums.org - but i honestly dont know jack about forks, i know the SV's SUCK. I dont even know how to go about doing anything like that lol. Guess I could try and learn :cry:

I used Ricor Intiminators on my 650. Similar to Emulators but the install is simpler (no drilling required). The forks are much more controlled and confidence inspiring than stock. They work well on crappy Ohio roads.

This article explains how cartridge emulators improve damping-rod forks.

http://racetech.com/html_files/DampingRodForks.HTML

The quick and dirty is that damping rod forks are cheap to make, which is why they're still used on less expensive bikes.

Essentially they rely on the fork spring's resistance (adjustable through preload) and the fork oil being pushed through holes in the damping rod. Heavier weight oil provides more resistance, and thus slows fork dive a bit, but the size of the holes in damping rods is fixed. It can't be adjusted.

When you install cartridge emulators, you braze the holes in the damping rod to make them completely ineffective as far as regulating oil flow. Then the emulator employs a valve with adjustable resistance (through its own small spring) that opens under pressure. But the fact that you can adjust how much pressure means that you now have a variable sized "hole" in your damping rod, and one that you can adjust for your weight and riding style.

...the RaceTech site explains it better. But it totally changes the way a damping rod bike handles with relatively little work. In some cases you can drill-out the holes in the damping rod rather than brazing them. RaceTech's customer support is great if you have questions.

Hey man, I'm rather young as well. Been riding for 4 years, so pretty much new like you. And I also started ob a 650. Ninja 650. It was a blast. I "upgraded" to an r6. I don't have liter syndrome or whatever it was called, but I did want something sportier. I thought I was missing out. Turned out, I wasn't. The 650 was a much better position, even with sportbars. And face it, we're not racers. comfort matters. It was definitely harder on the wrists, so I learned to lay on the tank on long slab stretches. Beside that, the better position actually allowed me to handle the 650 better! I could toast the twisty road by my old house on that thing. Couldn't ever get as quick around the corners on the r6 without triggering a lot of survival reactions. The r6 actually had a major mechanical failure late last season, which spurred me to sell it to my brother, who has time to fix it, and buy a daytona. I know it's not much more relaxed, bt I want to experiment.

I'm not saying to keep it because it's the best, or plenty for your skills. I'm just saying to evaluate what you want, and don't blindly stick to joe schmoe's small ego big bike philosophy.

Anywho, you said you commute, and occasionally take the girl. Me too. My fiance is a 100lb twig, and she hated the r6 in comparison to the banana seat on the 650. But, meh, my bike, not hers.

Keep the SV. I have a love/hate relationship with mine. ALL of which center around the front suspension. I've been lazy fixing that issue but overall it's an amazing bike. I've been riding this one for almost 5 years and am nowhere near pushing it to its full potential. If I happen to get a wicked raise at work though...Ducati Streetfighter :D