06 SV 650S - Advice on what bike to buy next?

silentcropduster

What do u all think about the SV 1000? I know they are harder to find, but I thought the only difference (sides the motor) was it weighed slightly more

The engine is a bit temperamental, and I thought you wanted more of a sport tour oriented machine?

What do u all think about the SV 1000? I know they are harder to find, but I thought the only difference (sides the motor) was it weighed slightly more

There's a lot more different than that. Theyre not like the GSXR 600 and 750. The SV's share very few parts, and have much different personalities. The 1000 seems to be the 650's younger, hotter, crazier sister. Lots of fun, until she isn't... Then you remember the 650 cooked dinner, rubbed your back, and had better credit. The 1000 may have been better in the sack, but you're only banging 2% of your relationship (if youre lucky)

• Upvote 1

Most people I know who go from the sv650 to the sv1k, usually say they regret the swap.... But you will never know until you give it a try... I owned 10 different cars before I found out exactly what suits me... No harm trying out a few bikes to find the one that fits.. Just wait for a good deal and take it.. If you don't like it, resell and get your money back and try something else

Keep the SV. I have a love/hate relationship with mine. ALL of which center around the front suspension. I've been lazy fixing that issue but overall it's an amazing bike. I've been riding this one for almost 5 years and am nowhere near pushing it to its full potential. If I happen to get a wicked raise at work though...Ducati Streetfighter :D

GSXR front end. All SV forums have lots of info World of difference.

1k is about 40 lbs heavier. Wheelbase etc are identical. I thought it would handle similarly. It doesn't. Most folks say that its the heavier flywheel in the 1k that makes most of the difference as most other components are nearly the same (weight-wise. Very few of the components are interchangeable between the 650 and 1k).

I've gotten rid of the GSXR clip ons in favor of Pro Taper Woods Low bars, and its helped with the handling (better leverage). She's getting there....

I guess one of the things I want i a bike with a lil more top end, after about 70 MPH in mine the acceleration is kinda dead. I just want my cake and to eat it too haha.

If I do upgrade it wouldn't be something like an R1 of Honda 1,000cc RR etc bec I'm afraid I'd be tempted to do something dumb. So either I keep my bike, go to something like a SV 1000 or a VFR 800.

What sucks the most is 99% of dealers etc wont let u test drive the bike because of the obvious. SO I wont know what kinda feel the bike has.

Guess I have some decisions to make.

Edited by thomas_cory2000

I guess one of the things I want i a bike with a lil more top end, after about 70 MPH in mine the acceleration is kinda dead. I just want my cake and to eat it too haha.

Really :wtf:

My vstrom accelerates quick from 70 (down shift for best results) and 80 to 90 in top gear takes just a few seconds. And that is heavier and taller than the SV.

Maybe it just feels fast to me because I haven't ridden truly fast bikes or cars. My car is a base model Bug and my previous bike a Ninja 250 (now there is a bike with little acceleration after 70 :D).

Craig

I've seen a handful of SV1Ks flat-out screaming in the corners. Granted' date=' they were piloted by competent riders. Roamr, DPGasser and JRMMiii all have one and they're aren't exactly slow. :dunno:[/quote']

I'm not saying its a dog, or handles poorly, just that it doesn't handle as easily as the 650 did. No where close. I guess it just wasn't what I expected. I wanted the same handling with more power, and didn't think the 40 lbs would be an issue with the extra power, but it is.

If you want a step up to a better 2 up bike with more power and comfort, then you will be hard pressed to find much better than the FZ6. You might also consider a Suzuki Bandit 1250, a very inexpensive excellent standard/touring machine with lots of manageable torque and hp "and it hits hard". I would not consider a VFR in your case, doesn't seem like a good choice for you IMHO.

I had some what of the same thinking of him when I first started riding my 650 with peolle from 7/11 but that was before I started riding with the members on this board, once I started riding with the board members you know who you are I realized my bike is plenty fast almost to fast for me in hocking lol. I've been riding for 2 years now and still love my little 650, hope to hit the track this year to improve my abilities. Speed limits only 65 man who you trying to impress:p.I think I'd want a bigger bike if doing a lot of 2 up riding but no girl complained yet or if I do any long ass hauls. That's my 2cent.

I do need a suspension upgrade tho.

Edited by Dying Shadow

I'm so glad I don't have liter-bike syndrome. :)

Thomas' date=' have you considered what engine you want in your liter bike? The inline liter is pretty punch, but there's something to be said about a liter twin. On that topic, have you ridden a modern 600cc inline-four? They're pretty fast, and a ton faster than your 650. You can get some pretty nice "sport-touring" style 600s for way cheaper than a liter sport-tourer.[/quote']

This is true, buy my R6 ;-)

Damn, nice bike, nice price.

Buy this on or the Tuono he mentions.

http://www.ohioriders.net/showthread.php?t=102346

Yeah. I caught that. He also said the bike is slow. It's not. He is. If he buys a "fast bike" he'll continue to be slow. He'll just be slow on a fast bike. If that's his schtick' date=' then he should buy the fastest bike he can buy. It may not be what he's after, seeing as he's already posted that he has a lot to ponder concerning the matter at hand.

I am merely suggesting that he may find a new-found love for his "slow bike", if he actually learns how to ride it fast.[/quote']

I hear ya. I could enjoy raping that bike on a twisty road but it is low on ponies for outside twisty riding which I understand he is saying.

I hear ya. I could enjoy raping that bike on a twisty road but it is low on ponies for outside twisty riding which I understand he is saying.

Hey man it wont let me PM u it keeps saying "You may only post 1 messages every 120 minutes." ???

Edited by thomas_cory2000

Hey man it wont let me PM u it keeps saying "You may only post 1 messages every 120 minutes." ???

Anyways my email is "thomas_cory2000@yahoo.com"

Oh yeah, you need more than 50 post for unlimited pm's. It's to prevent spam.

I will email you here in a bit. I'm on my phone and not PC right now. Stay tuned my man. :cheers: