06 SV 650S - Advice on what bike to buy next?

silentcropduster

I'm 26, have had my endorsement for 2 years now. Put about 4k miles on my 05 SV650S. It currently has 24k miles on it with original motor & has never been dropped etc (knocking on wood as I type this). Bike has been paid off for some time now as well.

I am looking to possibly upgrade to something slightly newer/more nice, potentially bigger. I'm aware I can get into trouble in a 650cc bike, but can do it quicker in a liter bike. I'm fully aware of the danger etc - I respect the bike & the power.

Being that said - I've looked at a lot of bikes and the options are endless. I DONT really want to buy new, but was considering something 650cc-1 liter, 5-7k price range, & 09'+ model year.

I prefer a sport or sport touring bike. I don’t plan on doing any very long rides, but will ride up to potentially 1-2hrs at a time & will sometimes have a passenger.

Any serious advice would be greatly appreciated!:bow:

Vfr800. Ask ninjadoc or bad324 how they like em. Awesome all around bike, lots of power, comfy, looks cool. If I had to own only one bike it would be either a vfr, concourse or fjr. Luckily I have a large garage and an understanding wife and don't have to limit myself to just one.

Tour out your SV! You have a perfectly capable specimen now, just improve it and ride more. 4k isn't much seat time, we do that every year and a trackday would really help you tap into hidden potential you've yet to discover. Dont discredit that twin, its a great machine

• Downvote 1

I've never ridden a 650 but I'm doubting the vfr800 is much more powerful. I must say I do love mine and would suggest it to anyone wanting a sport tourer that is more sport than tourer IMO. Also probably a lot "nicer" quality too

Sv1000, ninja 1000 or fz1 would be my suggestions other than VFR

I've never ridden a 650 but I'm doubting the vfr800 is much more powerful. I must say I do love mine and would suggest it to anyone wanting a sport tourer that is more sport than tourer IMO. Also probably a lot "nicer" quality too

Sv1000, ninja 1000 or fz1 would be my suggestions other than VFR

Do VFR's have cartridge forks? that would be one major upgrade.

The SV puts about 72 to the rear wheel. The VFR is more like 95, but weighs a bit more.

I'd guess the VFR is quicker on the gas, but the SV is (even if it doesn't feel) lighter.

For the OP: what kind of riding have you done on your SV thus far? It may be capable of a lot more than you think, and you could ride it another season without being "bored" (which I don't quite understand...). No bike is boring, some are just better than others.

I can have a hoot on an XR100, and a totally different thrill on an R1.

i've said it before, i'll say it again: "it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than it is to ride a fast bike slow".

and I'm not saying your six-fiddy is slow - far from it. I'm guessing you've maybe experienced 60% of what it's capable of doing.

SV's and VFR seem to have an almost cult-like following, and I assume there's a reason people love 'em so much.

give 'er another season, ride the wheels off it, and then if you still want a different bike, the fall/winter is the best time to buy.

I'm happy with my vfr... Wish it had more hp, but it handles beautifully... It will never be replaced until I'm financially set to have a super sport for personal rides, and a touring bike for long rides... It does both duties so well that I plan to keep it for a long time

I'm happy with my vfr... Wish it had more hp, but it handles beautifully... It will never be replaced until I'm financially set to have a super sport for personal rides, and a touring bike for long rides... It does both duties so well that I plan to keep it for a long time

smart man :D

Lot's of good suggestions in this thread, including keeping the SV.

Lot's of people look at the SV650 as a beginner bike. But, it has more sport capability than 95% of sport riders on the road today. Not to mention it's damn near bullet proof with really good aftermarket support.

Vfr800. Ask ninjadoc or bad324 how they like em. Awesome all around bike, lots of power, comfy, looks cool. If I had to own only one bike it would be either a vfr, concourse or fjr. Luckily I have a large garage and an understanding wife and don't have to limit myself to just one.

+1 > A solid 5th gen would go $2800 to $4500 and up to $7k would get you a super nice 6th gen. Add a suspension upgrade and you got a bike that would do several days burning twists in the mountains and not wear you out. Its good for a commute or cross country if you have the itch. And they sound badass wih a good pipe. (I'm never selling mine.)

vifferonethird.jpg

Edited by mello dude

The SixFiddy is a much better bike than you might think it is.

I resurrected an '03 SV650 a couple of winters ago, put a GSXR front end on it, and LOVEDDDDD it.

So I started thinking that "650 is good, so the SV1k would be even better". Found an 07 1k in GA, brought it home, swapped the GSXR front end on to it, and streetfightered it a little bit.

I wish I had kept the 650.

Don't get me wrong, the 1k is a lot of fun. I like to play in twisty stuff, and the 650 would just go wherever I thought about going. Incredible handling. The 1k will get there, but takes some effort. Not nearly as seamless and "mindless" as the 650 was.

I've thought about selling the 1k and going back to a 650, but don't want to put the work in to it. Maybe one day.

I completely agree with a lot of comments in your thread, most notably "I'm glad I don't have 1k envy" (though I did), and "Its funner to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow". My buddy on his Aprilia 125 and me on my NSR had a lot more fun at Deals Gap than our buddy who was on his RC51.

I don't need to go 140 mph, and a bigger engine doesn't mean a bike is a better touring bike. Its all about vibration, wind, and comfort, though.

So...I have it set up when people comment my post it sends me an email, yea I've gotten 1 email that's it,and I just now saw this!

Anyways, when I say my bike gets boring it's kind of like it doesn't thrill me anymore like it did at first. Have I been dumb and had it to 120+ yes, have I taken it thru corners quite briskly, yes lol. But normally I'm pretty mellow with the bike, sides some brisk acceleration every now and then.

I do have a passenger with me sometimes which is my gf & she complains on long rides that it's not comfortable. Which I'm like 'shit, i have my own weight and yours on my back, cry me a river' lol

My bike also has 20,xxx miles on it & it's an 05. I would rather not be doing any costly maintenance that I'm going to assume is in the somewhat near future. sprockets/chain - is no biggie but anymore than that (if it can be helped) id rather not fork over the $$ for.

Lastly, as far as the type of riding i'd be using it for....to work every day I can and back (weather permitting), going on 1-2 hour rides on 71/270/or back country roads. I also have a friend who has a 2011 Kawasaki 650r so I need to be able to keep up his ass lol.

2009-02-10_2008_Yamaha_FZ6_on_stand.jpg

Oh and by the way.....20k on the SV is just starting to get broken in. Chains and sprockets are cheap "less than tires", and part of owning a motorcycle. Checking/adjusting the valves on that engine is a piece of cake.....trust me.

Edited by Pokey