your pace, and others pace

bshultz0930

Problems becomes..... you have guys buying 10 second bikes as their first motorcycle. A lot of new guys think they are way better riders than they are and when they get a ass pucker reality check its too late. They don't trust that the bike will make the turn if they just commit and keep it leaned over and leave the brakes alone. We have all made stupid squid mistakes. Lucky for me mine were made in a 1981 Kawasaki LTD440 that barely went fast enough to get hurt on...LOL, but I learned how to go fast on a slow bike which made going faster on a faster bike easier and safer.

I haven't been on very many group rides. Last year's dream ride was one of my first and UP did an awesome job leading the fast group. I didn't know the roads and that left me slowing more then necessary and not being able to follow his lines. I didn't rush, every time I thought I lost the group, there they were... Waiting on the side. Pace is an individual thing... While the leader sets a group pace, your pace HAS to be dictated by your knowledge and skills. Also, as others have said, the conditions of the road. I like the "no full throttle on exit" idea... Retaining corner speed is something I need to work on and when you take away extreme braking and full throttling, this gives you more time to evaluate your cornering abilities.

Thanks for the reminder and helpful info!!!

• Upvote 1

Problems becomes..... you have guys buying 10 second bikes as their first motorcycle. A lot of new guys think they are way better riders than they are and when they get a ass pucker reality check its too late. They don't trust that the bike will make the turn if they just commit and keep it leaned over and leave the brakes alone. We have all made stupid squid mistakes. Lucky for me mine were made in a 1981 Kawasaki LTD440 that barely went fast enough to get hurt on...LOL, but I learned how to go fast on a slow bike which made going faster on a faster bike easier and safer.

I can ride faster in the twisty bits on my WR250R than I can my C14, but of course the straight aways don't tend to get me into much trouble. :)

I've learned the hard way many years ago to ride my own pace and not concern myself with how fast others want to ride.

If it is an issue where the pace is too fast or unsafe, I'll simply check out and ride alone since I'll rarely go more than 10 over any posted speed limit.

And lately I've not been inclined to join any group ride....it just isn't worth risking my driving privilege or health.

No love :nono:

lol

I don't think I've met anyone on OR that I didn't enjoy following. It is all about setting your own pace/riding your own ride. If you chase; no matter how experienced you are, you are increasing the chance of being sucked into a turn and ending up in a ditch.

hahaha I have more fun following you but I find I push myself a little to follow you. Which I guess is how you get better, but should probably not be done on the street.

I am just more comfortable following Jerry.

hahaha I have more fun following you but I find I push myself a little to follow you. Which I guess is how you get better, but should probably not be done on the street.

I am just more comfortable following Jerry.

I definitely push myself a bit more when in a group ride (depending on who is leading). As long as I feel I can trust my tires that is.

I definitely push myself a bit more when in a group ride (depending on who is leading). As long as I feel I can trust my tires that is.

Better yet, as long as you trust the ride lead. That is key...

Those SM's always think they are faster than everyone. Ha!

I lost that guilt feeling more than a decade ago watching people crash behind me on my FZR400. Ah the good ole days.

Practice practice practice. Some people will never be okay getting left behind so they need to practice (on a track) or quit.

Others have 'given in' and accepted their personal pace.

Be safe. Remember that sport biking isn't for the faint hearted.

Chris

Better yet, as long as you trust the ride lead. That is key...

Trusting the leader is important, too. But i like to leave them enough room that if they were to wipe out on a corner, i would see and be able to stop out adjust course in plenty of time.