Shinko tires?

bandit12

I've not, I've only ever owned sport oriented bikes and it is backwards logic to spend so much money on a bike and then try to cheap out on the two most critical pieces of contact between the motorcycle and the road.

On a cruiser, they may be just fine. For a sportbike, I spend the extra on a tire that I know is going to stick to the pavement when I ride into a corner a little hot and need them.

Sent while riding

Over on a motard site a couple years back they were claimed to be a good tire for motards as well as dual sports. I know that is a different type of game so I thought I'd ask because there is a dealer close that sells them.

Gonna disagree with previous posters. Shinkos have come a long way from what they were several years ago. There was a batch of defective bias-ply 705s that had delamination problems, esp when run on loaded DS and ST bikes at speed and in the heat. That experience kind'a colored their reputation with the whole riding crowd for awhile and the stink is still sticking to 'em today.

I've run the newer radial 705s on my WeeStrom for over 8000 mi (F) and over 5000 mi ® and had no problems. They work great on gravel, rough pavement, rainy weather, and give enough stick and feedback to lean over far enough to erase any chicken strips your might have developed. The front is starting to scallop pretty badly now and is ready to be changed out, but they still hold the edges just fine. I bought a set of the Verge 011s for my F2, but haven't levered 'em on so I can't speak as to how well they'll work.

Bottom line, if you're looking to save a few shekels and run a budget tire, the Shinko's are a fine tire. However, they're not gonna last on a heavy/high HP bike as long as, say, Metzler Tourance or Heide's, but as long as you save 25-40% off the major brand's price, I'd go for it.

I used the Shinko Slicks on my supermoto, they were great. Ran them at the Gap too and had more grip than I ever needed.

On a sport bike, no. The street tires have a more squared off design to them and a harder compound.

Slicks hell yes.

Street tires...twisty sport rides, no. Dragstrip, yes. Cruiser, yes

I had a set of nearly new Shinko Podium 006s that came on a SV1000S that I bought used. The grip was OK, front grip was a little better than the rear. They didn't inspire confidence at high lean angles. If your not leaning to the edge of the tires, there might be enough grip for you 'most' of the time. Most of the time until you need to do an emergency braking maneuver, or a lean hard in tight turn.

You get what you pay for and tires aren't right place to 'cheap out.'

I'm running a 150/60 Shinko 006 rear with a 110/70 Roadrider front on my GS500 right now and like the feel of the bike with them on it, handling is good but the 006 grip really isn't any better than the previous Roadrider bias ply rear tire I had on it before. Price is about the same as the Roadrider and the Roadrider lasts about 50% longer. If I get another 150/60 for the handling it will be a Pilot Power which doesn't cost that much more in that size. I put it on because I wanted to try the size, it was the only practical size that I hadn't run on the GSs on stock wheels. I've run 10 different sizes on the GSs over the last 14 years and 175k miles for various different reasons.

Shinko 705 appear to be good dual sport tires for the heavy adventure bikes that see some gravel but not real off-road. They handle well on the street and decent on the gravel and appear to hold up well and are much cheaper than premium brands for little loss.

No experience with the sportbike tires so they may be completely different.

Craig

Shinko is one of those "polarizing" brands, people either love them or hate them.

I know people that swear by them, but I've personally never tried a set.

I would definitely stay away from chen shin though...those things were horrible.

you can probably pick up a set of conti motions for about same price

I was just about to say that Continental makes some good low-cost tires for street use.

I think Brandon (AFJ Brandon, not Ginger Brandon) may have raced on Conti Race Attacks for a season or two as well.

I was told Shinkos are okay for drag racing, but not cornering. Only way to really know is to give them a try.

I had a set of shinkos....005 advance front and 009 raven rear. They were OK for commuting and not much more. I could feel the rear slip pretty easily under throttle in a turn and it was garbage in the rain. If I had a bike that I was going to rack up miles as a fair weather commuter, I'd consider them again. For the combo I had: All weather commuting....hell no; pushing in the twisties...hell no. Maybe the 005 advance would have worked a little better in the turns and rain.

There were brand new Shinkos on my F4i when I bought it in '08. They were absolute shit. No grip at moderate lean angles and slippery as hell in the rain. I believe they were 005's or 006's. Switched to pilot powers and the difference was night and day. Like previous posters have said, tires are not the place you want to cut cost. I'd stay as far away from them as possible.

I can't speak for any other model but the 705 (dual sport 80/20 tire); it is a great handling tire and priced very well.

I have used them the last 7 or 8 tire changes on both my wife's bike and mine.

The latest Tire Shootout rated them at the bottom of the barrel and so it has gone with every professional review I have seen. The conclusion basically stated that if you were riding primarily in a straight line then they may be acceptable tires, otherwise choose another. I have never heard anything decent from anyone that I know about them. Its all about what you are going to do with the bike but as someone else said, its the most important piece of equipment you can have. I agree 1000%. That doesnt mean you need a race tire but at least buy a good one.