What STREET gearing do you run?

redkow97

Street gearing poll  

36 members have voted

1. 1. What gearing do you run on your STREET bike?

• Stock gearing. I like it.
    • I am geared slightly taller for better acceleration
    • I am geared slightly shorter, for lower highway RPM
    • I have the world's largest rear sprocket for power-wheelies/stunts.

Like the poll says, I'm curious how many people actually mess with their gearing on street bikes.  I did allow for you to select different answers for multiple bikes. 

Also, I know many people may be running stock gearing currently - if you plan to change that, please select what you will be changing to.  I'm looking for input on what people prefer, not what they necessarily have at the moment.

I started this topic because I will likely replace the chain and sprockets on "the big kat" before the end of the summer. 

I'll have to ride it with stock gearing before I can really formulate an educated opinion on what it "needs," but I like the idea of a little hooligan power.  That said, I am hoping to do a lot of commuting, so fuel economy matters...  My guess is that I will end up staying stock as a compromise, but power-wheelie shenanigans would also be fun :p

On the Duc I am 3 teeth bigger in the rear.  The bike doesn't have enough horsepower to redline in 6th so why bother with stock gearing.  Now I get better acceleration and I can come closer to a true top speed if ever needed.

My Triumph is geared stock.  It has plenty of power for the twisties and the highway rpm is in the butter zone of the torque band. 

I demand proof that the sport classic isn't perfect from the factory in every way.  I can be at your door-step at 5:00 tomorrow to confirm this assertion via butt-dyno.   You may hold my 2003 Corolla as collateral.

I love the sport classic...almost as much as I love the gt1000. :)

on this we can completely agree. I love that style of bike in general. 

The katana should end up mildly similar in some aspects.  Air cooling, circular headlight ...okay, that's where the similarities end, but it's something :D

I was under the impression that "Taller" gearing would lead to a lower highway RPM, while short would increase RPM at speed... :bikefall:

Depends on if the gear change is done on the front sprocket our rear.

Depends on if the gear change is done on the front sprocket our rear.

I thought it generally referred to the overall gear ratio... The gear ratio will get taller whether I add a larger sprocket to the countershaft, or a smaller on the rear wheel.

I thought it generally referred to the overall gear ratio... The gear ratio will get taller whether I add a larger sprocket to the countershaft, or a smaller on the rear wheel.

I believe you are correct. Taller generally refers to higher mph with fewer rpm.

Bandit 1200 has more than enough motor to be happy with acceleration with stock gearing. Sometimes on the freeway I wish they had put in a 6th gear but not enough to change my gearing. I guess I could put a smaller sprocket out back and be happy, can't really use the top half of 1st gear or the top half of the throttle in 1st or 2nd due to power wheelies.