Your First Bike

Disclaimer

1st bike was a 2006 Ducati monster 600 dark edition. Sold it to a friend at the beginning of last summer. Mid way through, I bought an 08 Yamaha R6s. Broke it in and Enjoyed it throroghly for a week before I found out the cheapest insurance I could find was 180 a month for full coverage. So I turned around and sold it. Then this march I purchased a 2005 zuki gixxer 600 and have been riding every chance since.

'79 Kawasaki KZ750LTD. I bought it for $200.00. Engine and rear wheel on frame, the rest was in a box. Had the carburetor professionally cleaned and put the rest together myself with the help of the Rice Paddy & JC Whitney.

Here it is, with me and my then two year old daughter.

Summer1995-1.jpg

Those LTD's are GREAT learners...super easy to ride, easy handling, low center of gravity.

2nd bike, 1980 kawasaki 550 ltd, traded the mud dog to dad for the kawi, no title, but I was 12, and didn't care.

Your dad gave a 12 year old a 550 street bike....Was he crazy?!? :eek:

(note: these are approximate representatives, not pictures of the actual bikes, same year/model, but not the specific ones that I owned)

This explains why the house is always different in the background ;)

Your dad gave a 12 year old a 550 street bike....Was he crazy?!? :eek:

This explains why the house is always different in the background ;)

crazy? maybe.

he used to give us rides on it around the yard when I was younger, then one day I asked him if I could ride it...

he went out to the shed, pulled it out and shoved it over in the yard.

he said, "if you can pick it up, you can ride it"

so I grabbed it, slid my back up underneath it and kicked away as hard as I could, it went up, and over on the other side... He laughed and said "well, as long as it's not going to crush you, I'll teach you to ride it"

so then we started on clutch control.

the first year I had to slide WAY off the seat to put my foot down when starting and stopping. It was a good time, and our yard was set up as a small 2 acre oval, so I never really got it over 25 mph...

• 1 year later...

Just found this thread, thought I'd chime in.

First bike, 1972 Yamaha DS 7. Never got it running quite right, but running well enough to ride around town and get arrested on. I swear I didn't know my license was suspended.

2nd bike, 1982 Maxim XJ550.

535275530_16022cde98.jpg

Current bike, 2004 Yamaha Vstar 650.

4589852680_101fa55072_o.jpg

(The bike on the left is my fiance's GZ250)

Got my first bike at 24, it was a honda rebel 250. I rode it three times, just enough to get the hang of the clutch, before buying a 1999 honda shadow 650. Had the shadow for a year before trading up to the 2005 Bonneville because I wanted a bigger engine, a fifth gear, and I love the style.

My first bike was a '86 Honda Intercepter. Porter would be proud. I had it for a few weeks and I was going to be making payments to the guy because I was in college and didn't have the money. Signed it over to me and I rode it home. A few minutes later he comes to my dorm room wanting all the money. So I gave him the keys back and the title and said forget it, I'll find something better. So, it was my bike for about an hour but I rode it for a few weeks to see if I liked it. It was the bike I learned on so...

Sounds like a fun thread. Here I go.

1st Bike: 2004 Suzuki GZ250.

n3402780_30712954_5528.jpg

First bike I had in college; got it the following summer after getting my license. Rode about 1000 miles on it, turned around and sold it to another student and picked up...

2nd Bike:1983 Yamaha XJ750 Maxim

n3402780_41284572_7143481.jpg

Had this bike for about 3000 miles until the engine blew a piston riding back from south Orange County. It taught me the freeway and everything else in between. Was able to sell it to a guy for a couple hundred as a parts bike. Was bikeless for a month and then picked up my...

3rd Bike: 2005 Suzuki SV650

n3402780_33731494_5929.jpg

This bike introduced me to aggressive cornering and sport touring. I threw 20,000 miles on it in a year and traded it in for my current FJR1300.

4th Bike: 2007 FJR1300

This one's been with me through hell and back. It's still kicking with over 89,000 miles on the odometer and 37 states covered. So far it's the bike that's done everything. :)

n3402780_40497322_237.jpg

5th Bike: 2008 Kawasaki Z1000

n3402780_37791735_688.jpg

I've always wanted this bike and was able to acquire one when it first came out in 2008. So this little beast is part of the family now. It just ticked 10k on the odometer earlier this week.

I've also had the chance to test ride more than two dozen bikes in between all of the two-wheeled kids. It's been a great seven years of motorcycling for me and I'm looking forward to more fun times.

Too many to list, dont even ask about cars. The best all around vfr, worst was uncomfortable oil puking harley. 1st dirt xr100...presently DR650. 1st street was a wrecked SuzGS550 I rebuilt, too slow considering I was riding yz490 off rode by that time and money was to be made...presently cbr1000rr. Got me thinking I have never owned a yamaha street bike, strange considering I would have turned down a bj or two for a Vmax when I was younger.

What the hell, I'll chime in also. My first bike was an '81 Honda CB900 Custom. After that I had an '84 Yamaha IT200, and finally my '94 FZR600. However, I started riding 5hp Briggs and Stratton mini bikes at age 5 (in '77) at the grand parent's house.

First bike was a 2002 Honda Nighthawk 250. I started riding later in life as a response to the ridiculous gas prices of 2008. I really had no intentions of using it for anything other than cheap transportation, but we all know how that ended. I find myself combing craigslist for the right deal on another one though. I'd love to have a "grocery, library, beer-run" bike.

Edited by C-bus

I started out on a Honda 50 mini trail at 8 years old. Since that its been a 73 Yamaha 360 enduro, 86 Yamaha 700 fazer, (long hiatus), 03 Honda CBR600RR, & now the 08 Honda CBR1000RR. Next, who knows. I'm thinking Ducati but that could change.