What have you done for your motorcycle lately?

Josh1234

Setup my suspension on the Fizzer!  Realized my rear shock is too small based on my heavy ass.  Considering changing it out.  Put new registration and sticker on the bike.  She is ready for the weekend! :burnout:

Tore back down for paint. Anyone here done a valve check/adjustment on an SV before? I'm at 24,xxx. I've read some people have gone well past 50k without any adjustment needed, but wouldn't mind checking mine.

7be289c38a07799472d8c6c9dada29d4.jpg

Chad:  Sorry to see your SV going back under the knife….mea culpa.  :(  If it's the same or similar to a Wee, lash check is pretty easy, although most folks say taking the radiator out is the way to go.  Adjustment is another issue.  Cams have to come out to change shims, which means pulling the cam tensioners--and I've read the rear cylinder can be a mother-- and then re-timing the valve train according to the cam timing marks.  If you have to go the whole route, set your clearance to the high range of adjustment, since valves tighten over time as they recess into the valve seats.  Good luck, dude!

Chad: Sorry to see your SV going back under the knife….mea culpa. :( If it's the same or similar to a Wee, lash check is pretty easy, although most folks say taking the radiator out is the way to go. Adjustment is another issue. Cams have to come out to change shims, which means pulling the cam tensioners--and I've read the rear cylinder can be a mother-- and then re-timing the valve train according to the cam timing marks. If you have to go the whole route, set your clearance to the high range of adjustment, since valves tighten over time as they recess into the valve seats. Good luck, dude!

It's all part owning and riding, I'm fine with it. this was already planned actually (a touch up anyway [emoji6] ), just needed to get it apart and to my buddy over in indiana before I move since he's so good to me and my wallet.

I'm sure the valve check is the same as the wee since they're identical motors mostly lol. Maybe someone who's done it before on here could be bribed with beer to help me out or at least supervise me so I don't mess anything up. Did read a good write up on the process and it certainly is time consuming.

Check out the Stromtrooper forum for excellent in-depth instructions here:  http://www.stromtrooper.com/maintenance-how/27756-dl650-valve-adjustment-notes-tips.html

….and there's many more if you want to spend some time searching.  A trooper that goes by the username BlackLab has many how-to articles.

did my first service on the Street glide, new primary, trans, and crank case oil.  powder coated 90% of the chrome on it black.  added the dark custom cam and derby covers, added 10" LA Choppers twin peaks bars with Harley Magnum get-a-grip grips. internally wired the bars as well.  powder coated the exhaust flat black, and added bassani slip ons, decattted the head pipe.  upgraded the spears to 6.5" Polk speakers and a Rockford Fosgate PBR3004X amp.  got a Klockwerks 8.5" windshield coming, and gonna order some highway pegs for it soon.

A8B57B10-4265-404A-9136-A814D266A0F4_zps

C7906ED9-7050-45CA-903A-4C0332BE929A_zps

BE3EE533-4B38-42D7-9973-A8C632D0C688_zps

did my first service on the Street glide, new primary, trans, and crank case oil.  powder coated 90% of the chrome on it black.  added the dark custom cam and derby covers, added 10" LA Choppers twin peaks bars with Harley Magnum get-a-grip grips. internally wired the bars as well.  powder coated the exhaust flat black, and added bassani slip ons, decattted the head pipe.  upgraded the spears to 6.5" Polk speakers and a Rockford Fosgate PBR3004X amp.  got a Klockwerks 8.5" windshield coming, and gonna order some highway pegs for it soon.

Decatting the head pipe on those are fun lol. Did you cut open a flap and chisel the insides out?

• 2 months later...

New brakes! Badly needed attention, put it off for too long so went all out. Braided lines, sv1000 4 piston caliper upgrade, brackets from svracingparts, new gold rotors. Haven't even broke in and they already feel amazing on test ride. 2538e2076f66df08c9777c39cdcaba59.jpg

• 3 weeks later...