2007 CBR1000RR, what's up with these bikes?

jacobhawkins

I'm looking at getting a 2007 CBR1000RR to replace the FJR and don't know too much about their history.  Things to look out for, problem areas, general concerns or thoughts?  I know there were some changes in 2008 but that's about it.

The bike I'm looking at is currently in track plastics but I'd get all the stock stuff too.  2000 miles, been on the track some (1000 miles?) of it's life at Mid-Ohio intermediate.  Ohlins front and rear suspension, Ohlins steering dampener, quick shifter, full exhaust, slipper clutch, power commander, blah blah blah.  I don't know how the steering dampener was installed, but I assume something had to happen to the stock HESD.  That's the one thing that seems kinda sketchy, in the reading I've done on it there may be some electrical mods needed to keep things happy.

I realize this may (oh yeah it is) be way too much bike for me but it could be fun to do some track days and learn how to ride.

SgQlZia.jpg

fine bike... you may notice some porkiness  tossing it through the turns.. but coming from an FJR you should be fine, they make good  fairly linear power, obviously  more towards the top end but they have surprisingly decent grunt in the midrange. I cant remember the details but  there was something that had to be done to "disable" the HESD but an aftermarket Ohlins unit would be way better than the  HESD ever dreamed, assuming it is adjustable. the 2006-2007 had rectifier issues, most replaced with Ricks units and never an issue after. suspension was the weak link... generally no adjustability and kinda spongey even with  correct springs but that's been rectified  it seems on that bike.... other than that they are a solid bike...
buddy coached with one at mid o for years... I rode one for 2 summers ​

I know that bike and it's a great bike. My street bike is also an 07 1000rr. I've never had a single issue with mine. The suspension is adjustable I had mine set up at Mid O by Marks guys. I bought it brand new and have never a single issue.

Did the air box mod, smog removed, exhaust and had DTM Dynotune it.

Love it on the street, prefer my gsxr600 on the track.

My lap times are faster on the 600 than the 1000. Your result may vary.

You'll love it either way though.

Thanks guys, I really didn't want a 1000 class bike, but this popped up...  I'm not hoping to set lap records, mostly have some fun and learn a bunch.  So the rectifier may fuzz out at some point, that's not too bad.  Glad you haven't had any issues with yours Todd.  You recognize this bike, Todd, it's kinda over the top in the paint department, huh?!

Thanks guys, I really didn't want a 1000 class bike, but this popped up...  I'm not hoping to set lap records, mostly have some fun and learn a bunch.  So the rectifier may fuzz out at some point, that's not too bad.  Glad you haven't had any issues with yours Todd.  You recognize this bike, Todd, it's kinda over the top in the paint department, huh?!

A 1000 will probably be fun.  I've only ridden one once, and it was a demo R1 on a street ride...  I'm sure you know it will burn through tires, but if you're not riding it all that often (on the track), no big deal.  

...but if learning is really a priority, the 1000 can be counterproductive in that department.  You WILL use the throttle to make up for lost speed elsewhere.  As long as you're cool with that, don't let anyone talk you out of a good deal.   And you still have the 100 to force you to learn corner-speed.

A 1000 will probably be fun.  I've only ridden one once, and it was a demo R1 on a street ride...  I'm sure you know it will burn through tires, but if you're not riding it all that often (on the track), no big deal.  

...but if learning is really a priority, the 1000 can be counterproductive in that department.  You WILL use the throttle to make up for lost speed elsewhere.  As long as you're cool with that, don't let anyone talk you out of a good deal.   And you still have the 100 to force you to learn corner-speed.

Power delivery on R1 and 1000RR is night and day different. No comparison.

I've never heard of a rectifier issue, news to me.

The 3 that I regularly ride with all have the 1000RR as well, no issues for any of us.

Best street bike I've ever owed, that's why I've kept it so long.

I've never heard of a rectifier issue, news to me.

The 3 that I regularly ride with all have the 1000RR as well, no issues for any of us.

Best street bike I've ever owed, that's why I've kept it so long.

agreed i wasnt aware of that on CBR's however it is a common issue on other honda models so it wouldnt shock me

google also says that Big Foot sightings happen once a week....

Logical Fallacy Ref has thrown a flag on that post.  Claims of Big Foot (which google accurately reports making no claim as to the accuracy) has nothing to do with the accuracy of the reports of stator issues on this bike.

post-10994-0-34166200-1448043600_thumb.j