New software...

Casper

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, ScubaCinci said:

Nice job with the site @Casper. I had implemented several forums in the past and have not heard of this forum software - is it relatively new? It seems to have a lot of robust functionality.

Invision Power Board has been around for a long, long time. It's the same forum software used by NHL, Nasa, Live Nation, etc. They've been around since 2003 or 2004 I believe. 

https://www.invisionpower.com

18 minutes ago, Tonik said:

It's been around for a long time.  This is the same software since the last big OR upgrade a couple of years ago...just a newer version. Yea, @Casper nailed this one.

Thanks man. Stop being nice to me in public. People may begin to talk. 

1 minute ago, Casper said:

Invision Power Board has been around for a long, long time. It's the same forum software used by NHL, Nasa, Live Nation, etc. They've been around since 2003 or 2004 I believe. 

https://www.invisionpower.com

Thanks man. Stop being nice to me in public. People may begin to talk. 

Ok, I can fix that.  Invision has been around since 2002 you blithering idiot. Get your facts straight.

• Upvote 1

Just now, ScubaCinci said:

Ahhh...I know why, it costs $. I had only dealt with the free/open source forums as my needs were meager.

I've used them all. VB and IPB are definitely worth the money over the open source ones. Of the two, I think IPB is a lot better. We used VB on here until a few years ago. They got bought by Internet Brands. I wasn't happy with changes being made, so I switched to IPB. 

5 minutes ago, ScubaCinci said:

Yeah, I liked VB a lot and used a demo of it. At the time, it was the most robust forum software (or at least I thought). I'm on several other forums that still use it but I've seen a lot of site move away from it.

It's a massive pain in the ass to move, especially a forum of our size (1+ million posts). Most people don't care enough to do the migration. Hell, the upgrade from vBulletin 3.6 to vBulletin 4.0 was a disaster. Most vB sites haven't done that migration yet. Even vB.org hasn't migrated yet (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/index.php). This is what 4.0 looks like: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/. When 4.0 came out is when I switched to IPB. Much cleaner and more professional looking in my opinion. 

Hmm...  For some reason, I'm having to login quite frequently, as in my login is not sticking.  I DO use the site from 3 different PCs, but the third is only occasionally.  I'm guessing the forum software has some sort of limits for this?  Once in a while I will use the site on my phone.

2 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Is it on one device or all of them?

My home PC and my work PC seem to be the ones that I have to login again on.  This wasn't an issue until after I used my laptop over the weekend.  At work today I had to login, then at home tonight on my desktop I had to login again.  Maybe going through that will have the laptop out of the loop again and work as I am used to?  It's not a huge deal, just a little annoyance that I noticed.  

All the computers/device are using Chrome, all with the same google login, if that matters.

14 minutes ago, Casper said:

It shouldn't be logging you out. I'm on two different laptops and my phone all day. Haven't logged in since the switch. I'm fronting the site through Cloudflare. Could be one of your devices haven't updated dns. 

Hmm... Could be.  Sometime in the next 60 days, work will be switching over to the same ISP, Time Warner.  I don't know if they use the same DNS for business class as residential, though.

Just now, ScubaCinci said:

Is rep broken? I got a notification that "someone" gave me rep but it doesn't say who that someone is...unless you can rep anonymously which would be weird. Up until now, it's always given the user handing it out.

Yes, that is currently happening to people that are supporters. Just started in the last week or so.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, ScubaCinci said:

So it's a feature not a bug :lol:I guess I don't get rep often enough to have noticed. I'm gonna have to step up my game :yuno2:

You are just not special enough to get rep and actually know who gave it to you.

Capture.JPG

My wife has been Rep bombing me lately and she thinks its funny. Because every time I get rep Tapatalk sends me a notification and she usually does it when I don't want to hear my phone blowing up. Any way where I was going with that is Tapatalk will actually tell me who sent it. Plus I take the Rep she can keep doing it, :D she never post but spies on me from time to time.

• Upvote 1