Your criticism please

JackImpact

Just looking for input on areas of improvement for myself as a new rider. I have only the miles on this bike as my total experience on a street bike. I come from a 0 experience motorcycle family. 

Thanks!

I dont give it a lot of gas so I can avoid doing the wheelies lol

Also the reason I have been pulling the clutch in, although I know I shouldnt, is because of the heavy engine braking which I just need to get used to as I practice revv matching to downshift without getting bucked around. 

I will be spending my breaks at work in my garage doing clutch practice, which I have neglected for a few weeks. 

Thanks for the helpful information Tonik!

Edited by JackImpact

19 minutes ago, JackImpact said:

Also the reason I have been pulling the clutch in, although I know I shouldnt, is because of the heavy engine braking which I just need to get used to as I practice revv matching to downshift without getting bucked around. 

Don't need to downshift that much on that bike probably. It has a long range of rpm's in each gear, so roll off gently.

14 minutes ago, CrazySkullCrusher said:

Is that an fz09? They are notorious for having very heavy engine braking due to gas being completely shut off during idle while in motion. 

FZ07! Close! 

One thing to keep in mind is to keep slow, smooth movements, nothing sudden. A buddy of mine struggled with the downshifting and engine braking when he first started, we spent several nights in a parking lot just going up and down through the gears for him to get adjusted to the rpms and using the clutch. To the stalling in traffic, just try to keep a cool mind and not get frustrated. And, of course ride, ride, and ride some more. Best of luck to you!

If you haven't already please take the MSF course. Also read Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well https://www.amazon.com/dp/1620081199/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_9FD2wbGZC5K2T

To add to what Tonik said, it looks like you have to work on doing everything smoothly. Having good throttle control and identifying that friction zone. Also I noticed with at least one of the turns it sounded like you didn't accelerate (could just be the audio on your vid) and just coasted through. Usually a no no. Giving smooth throttle through the turn (and often lightly increasing throttle) sets your suspension, gives you stability and helps counter steering work appropriately.

Be mindful of your surroundings, look where you want the bike to go, counter steer and be smooth in all things.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, JustinNck1 said:

To the stalling in traffic, just try to keep a cool mind and not get frustrated

I stalled so many damn times in the first couple weeks riding that I almost sold the bike and said screw it I'll never get the hang of this. Decided I was going to go to a parking lot one last time and try and get it right before I sold the bike and I finally did. So if I could make that happen, anyone can!

Edited by Bad324

Also, if you have a death grip on the handle bars (you were stretching your throttle hand) then relax. All you are doing is wearing yourself out, giving unnecessary input to the bike and probably transferring every bump into your arms. If you need more grip on the bike use your lower body. Your arms are just for counter steering

15 minutes ago, BiggAudi said:

If you haven't already please take the MSF course. Also read Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well https://www.amazon.com/dp/1620081199/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_9FD2wbGZC5K2T

To add to what Tonik said, it looks like you have to work on doing everything smoothly. Having good throttle control and identifying that friction zone. Also I noticed with at least one of the turns it sounded like you didn't accelerate (could just be the audio on your vid) and just coasted through. Usually a no no. Giving smooth throttle through the turn (and often lightly increasing throttle) sets your suspension, gives you stability and helps counter steering work appropriately.

Be mindful of your surroundings, look where you want the bike to go, counter steer and be smooth in all things.

Signed up for the MFS course in April.

You are correct, I did coast. I wont do that anymore. The shuttering of the bike because of the degree of engine braking is what makes me do that. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, BiggAudi said:

Also, if you have a death grip on the handle bars (you were stretching your throttle hand) then relax. All you are doing is wearing yourself out, giving unnecessary input to the bike and probably transferring every bump into your arms. If you need more grip on the bike use your lower body. Your arms are just for counter steering

Its the gloves. The seam around the wrist is just slightly too tight and at the angle my wrist is at, it cuts off circulation a bit. Trying to think of a clever way to stretch it, gloves fit well other than that one spot. 

• Upvote 1

Try to relax. I found myself doing dumb shit because I was over thinking every little movement and getting amped up over mistakes. The class will help. I signed up for the ARC in April to continue the learning process. I still have a shit ton to learn after one season.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Tonik said:

Start doing your corners correctly.  Outside to inside to outside.

I would agree with that if we were talking track.  I would strongly advise outside to inside on the street.  IMO this is the ideal street line.  Anyone who's ridden with me and bothered to notice, would see that is my line through almost every curve.  

There are many reasons why a street line shouldn't the same as a track line.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Wojo72 said:

Try to relax. I found myself doing dumb shit because I was over thinking every little movement and getting amped up over mistakes. The class will help. I signed up for the ARC in April to continue the learning process. I still have a shit ton to learn after one season.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Think a lot of it just comes from not having time on the bike. I just went out during lunch and practiced making tighter and tigher u-turns and becoming more comfortable with just how far I can turn and lean to bring that turn tighter. It was great to see how wide my first ones were compared to near the end of my little practice session. 

I take it you're riding on temps?

Definetly take the course.

Like the others said, keep your head on a swivel! I tell myself that every time I throw a leg over the bike.

Check your mirrors at stop lights too, especially until you get your clutch figured out. Never know when someone texting on their cellular and not paying attention, could ass-end you!

Be careful, enjoy the ride!

I think your putting too much thought into your shifts if that makes sense. It should almost be one mindless fluid movement, clutch in - shift - clutch out, should all be happening with in one seconds time. Honestly seat time is what you need most. The throttle and clutch feel and response and just getting all you movements fluid and smooth will come in time and experience. Like others have said don't be scared to rev that bitch and use the engine brake. And head on a swivel and always assume the car in the intersection is going to pullout in front of you. I like to see the drivers eyes when i roll up on a cager that might make me have a bad day. 

Edited by 2talltim

Yeah the fz07 and 09 have horrible mapping. The gas off during idle while moving is a real bitch to get past. There's a way to reflash the ECU to give it idle gas while moving but it is expensive. Barring that I'd work on your fine motor skills as far as control inputs. Practice practice practice. 

27 minutes ago, CrazySkullCrusher said:

Yeah the fz07 and 09 have horrible mapping. The gas off during idle while moving is a real bitch to get past. There's a way to reflash the ECU to give it idle gas while moving but it is expensive. Barring that I'd work on your fine motor skills as far as control inputs. Practice practice practice. 

Was going to buy either an EJK, Bazzazz or Fuel Commander 5 anyway. 

• Upvote 1