Tire Technology

Lawrence1

2 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Dammit!! I want to spoon some ContiMotions on the Multistrada for $150/set. Stop posting shot about good tires. :(

IP for years I have been running ContiMotions and have been content. Last night I spooned on some PR2s. Still not the PR4s being discussed here, but I think I noticed a big difference on the test run last night. Bike felt much much smoother. Now it may just be in my head or the fact that it was time for new tires, but if it is in fact just the tires are that much better. I can't imagine what the 4s would be like.

I decided to try the PR2s because I was going through a Conti rear every 4,000 miles and that seemed like every time I turned around I needed new tires. I was also buying and paying a local shop for the Conti's and having them installed there for about $300 total. So I decided to buy a set of PR2s from Rocky Mountain for $260 and some tire irons and install them myself. Ended up being about the same cost for me and now I have some new tools and skills. 

I wasnt too big of a fan of the PR4's. Great in the rain though I've heard though. The siping made it feel a little squirmy. Maybe it was mental, but it was enough for me to stay with what i've loved since I first spooned them on. Dunlop Q2/3's. Paid $254 shipped for the set.

Edited by TimTheAzn

42 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Just hope my T30's last the OR gap trip with out having to visit wheelers. Chewed through about 1/3 of them last weekend at the gap.

T30 is the best grip/longevity tire on the market.  PR4 is over priced and just not as good.

Ron Haslam runs them exclusively at his superbike school.

T30 is the best grip/longevity tire on the market.  PR4 is over priced and just not as good.

Ron Haslam runs them exclusively at his superbike school.

7ab4465ac3da64b719e237b85f268cd4.jpg

3100miles, the connie eats them alive.

12 hours ago, Tpoppa said:
Are the C14s known for eating tires?

I'll get over 6k out of the Angel GT on my VFR1200.   Vfr isn't quite as heavy, but has a bit more HP...iirc

When ridden aggressively yes. I was getting 6k ish out of the rears when I ran the Angel GT but I would always cup the front in about 4k. With the T30's I have the oposite problem, I'm going on 8k on my front and it still looks great, but the last 2 rears only got around 3k. I just keep throwing them on because I was getting them for around $110 and I like to keep a match set.

Heavy throttle and engine breaking with that 700lb beast and 150+ HP is a bad time for tires.

And before anyone else ask yes I always run thr GT spec or A spec made for heavy bikes.

Edited by 2talltim

I'm on my 4th set of Angel GTs.  Never seen them cup.

I run the front at 36psi on the VFR .

To be fair that was before my brake rotor replacement (that was warped) and before I cranked the springs down on the front too. Might give them another shot if the PR4 that I'm going to try next don't work out.