POSTPONED TO RAINDATE!!! unOFFICIAL FALL 2016 EPIC RIDE - SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 11, 2016

DerekClouser

Group You'd like to Ride in  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Please select the group you want to ride in

• Fast
    • MED-Fast
    • MED
    • MED-Slow
    • Slow
    • I'd LEAD the group I selected
    • I'd SWEEP the group I selected
    • Tonik's Hate Group

I am the rider I am today because of all of you (you know who you are). Just sayin.

I remember my first group ride with you guys. Jumped right into a group I had no business riding with. Yet @Al Z. Heimer and @dpgasser volunteered to sweep me. I learned a lot that day, not so much riding wise (since you guys were so far ahead) but mentally, I knew I had a long way to go. I have a long ways to go still. But my views and attitudes have changed over the years because of the people I've surrounded myself with in this riding community. I'd like to think I've come some ways since that first day of "real" riding.

/sappyshit

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Uncle Punk said:

I appreciate the kind words @NinjaDocif I remember correctly your bike had some damage to it from your first group ride yet you were back out there trying again. That willingness will always be met with help as long as there is potential, some people shouldn't ride, and you weren't one of them. 

@jschaf is correct about the usual pace being intermediate trackday without the straights speeds. Every one of the guys that ride in the faster group is capable of leading the group and keeping everyone entertained and safe. They all are approachable and willing to help other riders with tips or techniques, some are even good at it. 

Speed is not the ultimate goal of a ride, having fun is. The slowest guy in the slow group and the fastest guy in the fast group should be having the same amount of fun or everyone is doing it wrong. Riding within your acquired skillset at an entertaining pace shouldn't put you or others in danger. Those skills come from several sources and take several years plus not all results are equal. Being one of the fast guys doesn't give you any virtue over anyone else. You can be fast and be an asshole so being fast isn't something that makes you better than others at all things in life. 

One of the guys that currently rides with the fast group was asked to leave one of these rides years ago because he didn't belong riding with the group he had chosen. If the group is doing its job this is how it should be. I hope he can retell the story but my take on it is that he was unsafe for others around him and to himself. That got fixed with time and him listening to others with more experience that were willing to help him. This ride will have the same opportunities for everyone to have fun and learn from others. I can guarantee that the fast group won't be going Mach Retard by their estimations even though it may seem that way to the less experienced riders. 

My recollection of the Mach Retard ride is similar to @jschaf in that it isn't how you ride in groups but rather on your own when you know that it isn't how you are supposed to ride on the streets. I went out one day on my own riding fast to clear my head and accidently ran across MidgetTodd and Hutch at a gas stop along with another rider. I told them clearly that they could ride with me but it wouldn't be a group ride and that they would be on their own. Long story short the guy that was riding with them wrecked and in some part I felt at fault because I knew better. Group rides have rules for a reason yet they can still be fun. 

I do ride with the fast group most of the time but by no means am the fastest rider. I have had a rider on this forum lose me so badly in nine miles that he was waiting for me with his helmet and gloves off when I finally made it to the stop. On our return trip down that road he was passed by an even faster rider. No matter how fast you are there is always someone faster which leads back to speed not being the ultimate goal or necessary for a good time. 

This clique thing is perplexing to me, having rode with and tried to help as many riders here that I can while also knowing many other riders that do the same thing I find the accusation without merit.

@Uncle Punk, never ONCE have I ever elude to how fast or slow I am. This sport has a odd way of humbling people. For one it's stupid and puts a target on your back. It's a sickening feeling calling 911 over ignorance. I'm sure most of the OG here has a story and experienced such. Last year my family lost a great friend who we watched grow up and become a great AMA racer. Riding a very moderate bike he was lost on a street ride.

Yes, I might be a troll on the board and enjoy stirring the pot in cyberland. However, I'm as serious as a heart attack when it comes to riding. I've been on OR rides long before most of these people signed up. And in THIS group not once has anyone been down on a ride I was part of. Many times I have sacrificed my own ride to make sure sure another rider slowed down, all in the name of making them a better rider and getting them home safe.

As for the "clique" thing. It's me poking fun at the four or five people who follow each others posts to do the gay "Like"---"Dislike" thing. They know whom they are. It's very girlie to text and pm's over posts, that in reality mean NOTHING. It's the internet, why take it so serious? Plus I don't remember this being on OR back in the day. But my memory has been slipping of things decades ago.

Ok, seriousness done. Please correct grammar and spelling below. 

1 hour ago, 0hi0 said:

Plus I don't remember this being on OR back in the day. But my memory has been slipping of things decades ago. 

Back in what day?  This is the 10 year anniversary of OR, so its not like it's been over 20 years or whatever.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Disclaimer said:

My first group ride ever was with Uncle Punk.

I also started out on a liter bike.

Respect the anamoly and check your egos.  I'm getting the sniffles with all this nostalgia. 

An SV1000 is hardly a liter bike. For a bike to be a proper liter bike it has to be an I4, otherwise it's just too slow and not scary.

I don't want to hear about no damn big bore I4 out of your mouth either.

• Upvote 2

My 1st ever group ride was with Uncle Punk as well.  The guys on here were giving me flack for the Honda. He was nice enough to say that I could ride up front with him. It was quite a ride in the 97 degree heat.

My first group ride was following Obesityrules.  Just the two of us.  I learned a lot in the first two turns - trailing his 954 on my trusty VFR.  After that he would pretty much disappear.   'Til I would find him at the next turn, dozing peacefully.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Uncle Punk said:

An SV1000 is hardly a liter bike. For a bike to be a proper liter bike it has to be an I4, otherwise it's just too slow and not scary.

I don't want to hear about no damn big bore I4 out of your mouth either.

Both statements were independent.  My first bike was a liter bike, just because you only knew me after the Hayabusa and the SV is not my problem -- that's on you old man Punk. :thefinger:

• Upvote 1

• Tonik pinned this topic

Woot I'm still IN*.

Dates getting closer! :)

I will be doing a Trackday @ Gingerman 8/19 this Friday. Hopefully I dont total my bike. Its the only one I got! :)

Will be doing another Trackday @ Grattan 9/26 Monday with Ducati Detroit Demo rides! Monster 821, Monster 1200R, Panigale 959, Panigale 1299S.

So hopefully I'll see some of you there @ Gingerman or Grattan? :D

Edited by Scorpion-Ninja

22 hours ago, TwiztedRabbit said:

i'll actually be at gingerman this weekend now.. but from Friday night (not the bike night just getting in) thru Monday

aye cool, bummer you wont be my coach for Friday.  I bought my Friday trackday 8/19 through the Fox Powersports event thang! $110.00 Full day, not the half day thing! :)

Considering joining you for this ride. I've only met a couple people from the forums despite following for years, it may be time to say hi to a few more.

Pretty sure I can hang with the Med-fast group in the curves but at under 35hp the DRZ would probably lag when the speeds are higher :)

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, CBBaron said:

Considering joining you for this ride. I've only met a couple people from the forums despite following for years, it may be time to say hi to a few more.

Pretty sure I can hang with the Med-fast group in the curves but at under 35hp the DRZ would probably lag when the speeds are higher :)

The DRZ is a weapon if you have it in mortard mode?

boo on the avatar. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, CBBaron said:

We've ridden with super motos on some decently quick rides and it was exactly that. Corner speed not an issue, but when we are cruising 70-80 on straights I feel like you guys are up there on the RPM's...

Also boo on the avatar. :nono:

Edited by TimTheAzn

24 minutes ago, Vagabound said:

The DRZ is a weapon if you have it in mortard mode?

boo on the avatar. 

Yea the DRZ400SM is a ton of fun in the curves and on gravel. But it is no fun when blasting at high speeds, especially on the freeway. i-jRBgGGP-L.jpg

1 minute ago, CBBaron said:

Yea the DRZ400SM is a ton of fun in the curves and on gravel. But it is no fun when blasting at high speeds, especially on the freeway. i-jRBgGGP-L.jpg

That looks like a well ridden machine! Had a DRZ back in the day and a Speed Triple before the Ape, felt like the hand of God was swooping down to tear me off the bike past 90mph. Feel for you, especially chasing rockets. But the big cheese eating grin on your face in the twisted makes up for it! :D

3 minutes ago, Vagabound said:

That looks like a well ridden machine! Had a DRZ back in the day and a Speed Triple before the Ape, felt like the hand of God was swooping down to tear me off the bike past 90mph. Feel for you, especially chasing rockets. But the big cheese eating grin on your face in the twisted makes up for it! :D

That pic was taken this spring the first month I had it. I think I rolled over 1000 miles on that trip to ANF. :D

As you can see I dont mind getting a new bike dirty 

Edited by CBBaron
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, CBBaron said:

That pic was taken this spring the first month I had it. I think I rolled over 1000 miles on that trip to ANF. :D

As you can see I dont mind getting a new bike dirty 

Hell yea, the ride and the adventure! You haven't quite lived until you go to Circleville on the go cart track (not sure if it's still open). Use to take the DRZ down there and have some fun. Couldn't do the leg out Moto cross thing. But I was the only one dragging knees on one at the track! 

• Casper unpinned this topic