Fall Gap Trip 2016

Tonik

Joe et al:  I know you guys are pros, but two words:  "NEW TIRES"

I put a new shoe on the front of the KTM but the rear only had 1000 miles and I thought it'd be fine....WRONG.

Did make it home, though.  Lesson learned.  Always leave for NC with fresh rubber!!!

IMGP2289

'Nuff said.

Edited by Bubba

Are/were you running soft compound performance tires?

I honestly don't ride aggressively enough anymore to wear the piss out of tires - especially ones that are more touring oriented.

Oh, and your linked is all jacked up like your tires :lol:

Edited by ScubaCinci

Joe:  Pilot Road 2.  Not really a soft sport tire.  But there weren't many traffic laws in KY/VA/TN/NC that we didn't break....

The big v-twin motor and torque isn't very kind to back tires.  Nor is the diamond grit pavement in the area.

Oh, and the link shows fine on my computer.  Once again, I think it's your device that's funky.

Edited by Bubba

5 hours ago, Bubba said:

Joe:  Pilot Road 2.  Not really a soft sport tire.  But there weren't many traffic laws in KY/VA/TN/NC that we didn't break....

The big v-twin motor and torque isn't very kind to back tires.  Nor is the diamond grit pavement in the area.

Oh, and the link shows fine on my computer.  Once again, I think it's your device that's funky.

Looks fine now from my iPad. I was on my work Lenovo laptop originally :dunno:

5 minutes ago, CBBaron said:

Anybody still looking to share rooms? 

I reserved rooms with 2 beds for each stop on the trip and Friday night in Parkersburg (Beckley is a long super slab haul from Cleveland to get there before noon :( )

Craig

Where you staying at in Parkersburg? Me and Tonik were talking about taking 16 all the way down from Parkersburg to Beckley.

19 minutes ago, JustinNck1 said:

Where you staying at in Parkersburg? Me and Tonik were talking about taking 16 all the way down from Parkersburg to Beckley.

Reservations at the Red Roof Parkersburg. 

Haven't pick a route yet but was planning to take curvy roads from Parkersburg o Beckley. I'll take a look at 16. Want to meet in the morning?

Craig

<edit> 16 looks pretty good. About 4 hours from Parkersburg according to Google. :D

Edited by CBBaron
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, CBBaron said:

Anybody still looking to share rooms? 

I reserved rooms with 2 beds for each stop on the trip and Friday night in Parkersburg (Beckley is a long super slab haul from Cleveland to get there before noon :( )

Craig

If I don't have to work that Saturday morning I,m willing to split the Parkersburg room with ya.

not sure if I can make this now... looking at the calendar a job just popped up that would have me working until late on the 17th. I'll see if I can get around doing that somehow. Don't really want to do 4 hours of slab straight into another 5 hours of hard twisty saturday so I'd prefer to get down to WV on friday.

34 minutes ago, what said:

not sure if I can make this now... looking at the calendar a job just popped up that would have me working until late on the 17th. I'll see if I can get around doing that somehow. Don't really want to do 4 hours of slab straight into another 5 hours of hard twisty saturday so I'd prefer to get down to WV on friday.

Another option is to skip Saturday with us and go straight to Johnson City.  Looks like 6 hours, could go down 23/52 so it isn't all slab. There is a lot of nice roads around Pikesville so you could mix it up and make it a day.

22 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Wait.... @what   The 17th is Monday.  We leave on the 15th.  I might be confused on what you are saying though.

Yeah I meant that Friday, the 14th. My bad. 

I'll have to see about that Friday. I suppose leaving Saturday morning wouldn't be awful as long as I'm not working past midnight the night before. 

Edited by what

11 minutes ago, what said:

Yeah I meant that Friday, the 14th. My bad. 

I'll have to see about that Friday. I suppose leaving Saturday morning wouldn't be awful as long as I'm not working past midnight the night before. 

You'd be surprised on how little sleep you need to go on for a motorcycle trip.   

• Upvote 1

I'm in for sure now. Worst case ill have to work till 3p on Saturday and slab strait to the hotel. The medium case scenario is ill have to work till 11am Saturday(or get off earlier) and ill just try to find you guys at some point or do my own route to the hotel. Best case is my coworker keeps his promise and covers me Saturday and I ride down to Parkersburg Friday evening. But what ever the case (pending no emergencies at home) I'll be going.

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, DerekClouser said:

You'd be surprised on how little sleep you need to go on for a motorcycle trip.   

Oh yeah, I know this very well. It's hard for me to sleep the night before a trip... hell, I only got 2 hours of sleep the night before the last track day. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 2talltim said:

I'm in for sure now. Worst case ill have to work till 3p on Saturday and slab strait to the hotel. The medium case scenario is ill have to work till 11am Saturday(or get off earlier) and ill just try to find you guys at some point or do my own route to the hotel. Best case is my coworker keeps his promise and covers me Saturday and I ride down to Parkersburg Friday evening. But what ever the case (pending no emergencies at home) I'll be going.

Good. As moderator it's part of your job to be there to moderate us off the site... @Tonik can do it but we need someone to moderate the hate.

all these freaking discussion is soooooo tempting ...and October supposed to be warmer than average. Will be perfect weather. And possible if some leaves already shed the gap area will be much more fun to ride with being able to see around the corners much ahead. . you guys gonna get me fired and divorced at the same time. :yuno:

7 minutes ago, ScubaCinci said:

Good. As moderator it's part of your job to be there to moderate us off the site... @Tonik can do it but we need someone to moderate the hate.

Don't you have a phone that needs updating?

http://www.zdnet.com/article/hold-off-on-updating-to-ios-10-its-breaking-iphones-and-ipads/?ftag=TREc64629f&bhid=23250526

2 minutes ago, NinjaDoc said:

all these freaking discussion is soooooo tempting ...and October supposed to be warmer than average. Will be perfect weather. And possible if some leaves already shed the gap area will be much more fun to ride with being able to see around the corners much ahead. . you guys gonna get me fired and divorced at the same time. :yuno:

Jesus I would think you of all people could get a doctor's note that you are sick and need rest for a few days.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Jesus I would think you of all people could get a doctor's note that you are sick and need rest for a few days.

Speaking of which, I'm calling off work Monday and Tuesday for the trip, could I get a note from @NinjaDoc to cover me?

Edited by 2talltim

• Tonik unpinned this topic