Where do you get your gas?

Tulo

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Tulo:

Does better mileage also equal better power?

Nope.

Run the octane that is meant for your car. If it's 87 or 91, don't run 94.

If there is any power to be gained from better gas, it's because the better gas is just restoring your cars power (assuming there is something wrong that higher octane helps to fix.)

Unless you are boosted or sprayed, just run the normal gas. I've always gone with Sunoco products and never had any problems. I run 87 regularly, 94 when I spray a smaller shot (to help keep from detonating) and 100 or 110 for the larger shot.

I can say that I noticed a difference between 94 and 110 leaded when I was spraying. Not sure why, or if it was just an illusion.

Either the Sonoco on Schrock, or the Speedway on Roberts Rd, usually, because they let me prepay a certain amount on my card, which is sometimes the only way I can get any gasoline right before payday... For a while after replacing the engine, my car ran like shit and was extremely noisy on anything *BUT* 93, but after a month or so of that, and several tanks later, it runs fine on 87 again. Weird Neon. Must have cleaned something out by running the premium gasolines.

Originally posted by NurkVinny:

Can you explain this? I am honestly curious, not starting a pissing match.

My parents have a friend that used to work at BP in Cleveland (some office).. for years. He said he won't even use the gas. I guess they put too much "crap" and/or water or something else in the gas. I'm not completley sure, but I've heard other people say they'll never use BP.

I myself don't have a problem with it. Speedway sucks. I normally hit Citgo as it's close to work and their gas is ALWAYS cheap (corner of Lazelle and Sancus).

This reply is biased, but oh well smile.gif

Some of you know my connection to BP. I can tell you first hand, from many years of experience, that there is no water or other 'crap' in BP gas. At least, nothing else that isn't present in all U.S. distributed fuel. The government mandates certain levels of alcohol in all consumer fuel. I say 'alcohol' to keep things simple.

I have seen and read yearly reports published by independent research companies that outline the quality of all major U.S. fuels. The top 3 brands, every year since the mid 1990s, have been BP, Shell, and Amoco. Some years BP out-performed Shell, some years Shell out-ranked BP. Amoco has remained 3rd. As most of you know, BP and Amoco are now one in the same.

In 20+ years of selling BP and now Amoco fuels, we (as in my family's station) have never had a repair or complaint based on our gas. BP fuels do contain cleaners and additives that cheaper, discount and/or grocery store outlets do not contain. These additives are not harmful, and in fact, are beneficial to your fuel system in the long run.

The one situation when BP/Shell/other "good" fuel is harmful is when you have ran cheap gas in your system for many fill-ups, and then fill up with a quality fuel. The additives will clean and strip your tank, lines, and injectors of the deposits left from the non-additive fuels.

The BEST thing you can do is start with a clean fuel system, and spend the extra penny or two for high quality fuel. The discount chains, as tempting as they are, will do nothing except hurt you in the long run.

I, too, have heard enough "BP sucks" comments over the years. However, I've never gotten to hear the "why" behind these comments. For 8 and a half years I serviced countless cars that used BP fuels, and saw no ill effects to report.

Use Sunoco, use BP, use Shell, use Amoco, just PLEASE stay away from cheapo, discount chains. That is my best advice.

I've used BP fuels before, and no problem whatsoever. Now *CITGO* however....

I was driving from Kirtland back to C-Bus, and everything in Kirtland was closed, and I had enough to make it to Seville, so I decided to stop at the Pilot that's just off of 71. Took the wrong exit, and with it being late, just decided to hit the Citgo that was right in front of me instead... BIG mistake. The gas made the car sound *horrible*, the mileage dropped noticably, and I could *smell* unburnt gasoline. The only time this has happened with this car was that one time fueling up at Citgo. Not before, not even later on when I refueled when getting back on the same day.

Whichever is cheapest/closest when i need gas. I run 91 at least, most of the time its 93 b/c nobody sells 91 hardly, and i drive a SHITLOAD, like i fill up every other day, so gas is very expensive for me. So cheap = :D Plus majority of my cars I have I don't keep for long enough to matter to me what kind of damage it does it the long run. And they wouldn't sell it if it was that bad. Longest car I have ever owned is 2 years, so yeah, no problem there.

I've use about every different gas station brand out there......I've never noticed a difference, ever. Honestly, I think most people saying "brand x is the best" that it is just in their head.

Octane, on the other hand, I can tell you DOES have a major effect on how a car runs.

My car, stock, is designed to run on 91. I ran 87 in it a couple of times; yes it will safely run (PCM pulls timing), but there is a noticable lack of power in lower RPM driving, and WOT driving (basically, the two places you don't want to loose any power). I use to only run 92, 93-94 when spraying (always pulling timing, of course).

With the heads/cam, it's 94 only. I made the mistake of running mixed 92/94 + less sensitive LT4 knock module + barely pulling any timing. It cost me....a lifted head gasket at the strip, blow apart #1 plug, and a tow home. Cost what would have definately been the best run my car ever made too, as my 60' and 330' was the best I've ever run, and I did complete the pass with no shifting mistakes.

Overall, run what you need, nothing more octane wise. Brand.....I have yet to see a difference. Regularly replacing your fuel filter on a regular basis will make far more of a difference than going to some certain brand.