Sedan question

Mowgli1647545497

So I'm looking to get into a sedan to replace the Cobra sometime soon here, and I'm kinda torn over the choice out there.

Looking to stay under 60k if I can - so that leaves out the BMW M5. Being spoiled with the Cobra, I also want at least 400hp, so that leaves out the M3.

I'm kinda circling around the CTS-V. But there's also that SRT-8, which seems abit porky to me, and the Mazda AWD sedan - which is down on power.

Just wondering what people on here would buy. Want to make sure I'm not missing some option I should be looking at.

Oh one last thing - not looking to get into a WRX or an EVO. While they're competent cars, and I've test drove both from new car lots, they are too, er, how to put it, they're not for me.

I've driven the new Subaru (Legacy?) and it left me limp so I know that one's not for me either.

Ideas appreciated.

Werd, what DJ said. I'm a little biased, but if it were me, I'd definitely go test drive a new S4. I'm a little turned off by their styling, and the fact that they are n/a now. But I like my car so much, if I were in that position, I'd have to go test drive one. The chassis is supposed to be worlds better in the car too, which is saying alot.

The RS6 MSRP is out of that price range. It competes in every way, shape and form with the M5, including price. BUT, last I heard, they having a very hard time selling them. So, if you shop around, you might be able to get a great deal on one. Another but, they are supposed to sell for 85k, so a great deal might be 70k if you can find a new one lying around. They were made in 2003 though, but mostly sold during the 2004 car season. Just looked up 'true market value' on it, and it is mid 60k, but that's probably assuming slightly used. What do you get for that? A twin turbo 4.2LV8, 450HP@5700rpm and 415ft-lbs@1950rpm! My car makes alot of torque down low like that, and let me tell you, it make the car feel more powerful than it is and very easy to drive around town. You also get the last gen. styling, which I like much better than the styling cues on Audi's new cars. What you don't get is an option to shift your own gears, 5 speed auto only, but I think it's got some auto-stick thing. Whereas with the S4, you get the choice of a 6 speed manual, or a 6 speed auto.

That brings me to another point about the new S4 as compared to the M3. Coming from a car that has alot of low end torque, I think you'd feel very put off by the peaky power of the M3. The new S4 doesn't make the torque down as low as the RS6, but it still makes it down fairly low. But it doesn't really make almost 400hp as DJ said. 340@7krmp and 320ft-lbs@3500rpm. But that looks like butter compared to the M3 at 333hp@7500rpm and 262ft-lbs@4500rpm.

I noticed you said something about the weight of the SRT-8, not sure how much it weights tough. If you want something as light or lighter than your current car, look elsewhere because the S4 tips the scales just over 3800lbs and the RS6 is in at just over the 4k mark. But my car weighs 3600lbs and doesn't feel like it, so this honestly wouldn't turn me away from going to check out either of those cars.

That's my little bit of generic insight on the cars and plug to go test drive them, good luck with whatever you decide to go with! graemlins/thumb.gif

Originally posted by Orion:

There’s also an amg c32, or maybe one of the bigger amg cars.

Also agreed and fixed. tongue.gif

The LS7 rumor is the main reason I haven't decided to just buy a CTS-V already, to be honest.

The Audi S4 is abit small for me, and the 6 doesn't have the "go power". Dunno about the RS6 though... will have to look. But also, I've got a few friends who've owned em who tell me horror stories of Audi ownership, and I think a couple people on here also have had bad experience with them. So the recent quality dings worry me with Audi, but also their pricing structure - everything is an option with them, and to load up a car, you can easily ratchet on 50% to the base price of the car.

I have always liked Mercedes, if not their tepid performance. Will have to relook at AMG, but my understanding was AMG's were priced beyond where I want to go. I'll look into Merc again...

Anything else?

Originally posted by GSRchick714:

S4!!

Previously posted:

Originally posted by Mowgli:

The Audi S4 is abit small for me. But also, I've got a few friends who've owned em who tell me horror stories of Audi ownership, and I think a couple people on here also have had bad experience with them. So the recent quality dings worry me with Audi, but also their pricing structure - everything is an option with them, and to load up a car, you can easily ratchet on 50% to the base price of the car.

smile.gif

Motor Trend just compared the 2005 GTO vs SRT-8 vs CTS-V in a more performance-oriented test than usual. The CTS-V absolutely raped the others in every single category except for the SRT-8's braking , but the SRT has brake assist.

The CTS-V pulled .92 lateral g left cornering, .89 g right, and .98 braking. 1/4 mile time of 13.1 (Road and Track got a 13.4 out of their CTS-V). Also, possibility of LS7 and it does have a 6-speed MT.

The SRT-8 had slightly less lateral g's cornering but it did 1.1g braking with brake assist, which they complained kept braking even after your foot leaves the pedal. Power was complemented, but who likes a 5-speed AT (even though it is borrowed from the benz E-class).

The GTO sucked. Sorry if I offend anyone that owns one, but the magazine said it sucked, I drove one and it sucked. When I was driving, I noticed that the shifter would literally bounce if you went over a bump, and keep bouncing.

I wouldn't reccomend the S60R. I don't know a whole lot about it, but I know that my dad's old S70 T5 was obnoxious as hell. It was a fairly solid car, and I liked the drive, but the turbo 5 cylinder was whiney and uncooperative.

Strange as it may sound, I have heard that the Audi Allroad 4.2 or 2.7T is one of the most fun cars to drive. A friend/Audi salesman did one of those Audi high performance driving things and he said the most fun car to take around the track was the allroad.

The S4 is pretty nice too, but not for a full sedan. The RS6 is around $128k isn't it?

You could consider a used M5 maybe? Nelson Auto has a 47k mile, $49k black/tan interior M5 for sale.

the cts-v makes my ween hard in every category except one, and thats looks. i drive a wrx and think it looks awesome, so maybe my taste is a bit suspect, but the cts-v looks like some ill fated science experiment.

anyway you go, youre going to have a much nicer interior, i can tell you that.

or...

...you could get a skyline :eek::D

What didn't you like about the Legacy?

I know you said you didn't like the Legacy GT, but with tuning, exhaust, and intake they are already dynoing over 400 hp at the crank. smile.gif

Go for a bigger turbo, injectors, and more tuning and who knows what you can do.

Plus, did you drive the 5 speed or the auto? The auto is weak.

...other than that get the M3.

What I've heard of Audi's is they test drive great, then 24 months into ownership and you're ready to pull your hair out.

I don't want to spend time going over why I don't like a car because I'm not the type that can be talked out of my impression, but just this once: The Legacy completely did nothing for me. It didn't "go" like I want my next car to, roll or dig. I also really don't like the body shape or wheel options. Inside, the sills are too low for my taste when I'm sitting in it. I also didn't like the feel or locations of the controls, and I don't like the horizontalish dash shape. Its just not a car I could look at inside or out and feel any affection for at all. All this while my brain knows its a perfectly competent car.

I don't think I want a turbo 4. My car before this was a turbo4, a 99 Eclipse GSX that I worked up to about 266hp. I also don't want to have to mod to get the performance level I want, as like the Cobra its going to be my daily driver.

Like I said in my post at the top I'm looking to stay under $60k - oh and I want new. I have a thing now about someone else owning my car first smile.gif

the new GS430 is going to be out in about 2 months, they're freakin sweet looking with all the new technology. Only 300hp/325ft lbs but if you're going TOO fast you'll pass up all the womens you can get with that beast smile.gif

Where's a good place to find out about the next EVO?

The GS series in my eye always had, I don't know, a look about them... sorta like a too big of ratio car-to-wheel. I like the vehicle to wheel ratio of the IS300 alot, but the GS's always seemed to be riding on teeny little wagon wheels. Just didn't look right to me. Plus they leaned too much. Did that change?

I just found something out thats disturbing. The CTS-V is 191.5 inches long. My Cobra is 183.5 inches long. Why does that concern me you ask? Because with my bikes in the garage I literally have about 4 inches of clearance front+back to get the garage door closed. Ruh Roh.

Originally posted by Mowgli:

I just found something out thats disturbing. The CTS-V is 191.5 inches long. My Cobra is 183.5 inches long. Why does that concern me you ask? Because with my bikes in the garage I literally have about 4 inches of clearance front+back to get the garage door closed. Ruh Roh.

You're going to have a hell of a time finding a sendan that's as big as you want it and still fit your bike in there. Probably an impossible time if you ask me.

Originally posted by 10xworse:

Strange as it may sound, I have heard that the Audi Allroad 4.2 or 2.7T is one of the most fun cars to drive. A friend/Audi salesman did one of those Audi high performance driving things and he said the most fun car to take around the track was the allroad.

The S4 is pretty nice too, but not for a full sedan. The RS6 is around $128k isn't it?

The Allroads ARE cool cars, but I'm guessing he doesn't want a wagon. But if he did, go with the 2.7T, it's the same exact engine that is in my car. Very moldable and very strong.

I can agree with everyone on the size of the S4 though, if nothing has changed from my car. I'm 5'9", 175lbs. I wouldn't want to be any taller and own the car. Head room is an issue. It's fine normally, but it’s close enough that when I put a helmet on, I don't have enough room. Putting two people very much taller than me in the front and the back makes for less than ideal leg room too. That's really not a problem a majority of the time for me though, so it doesn't detract from the car at all.

I stated how much the RS6 was in my post and it was never anywhere near $128K.

[ 14. January 2005, 01:25 PM: Message edited by: Neo ]

Caddila STS

The newest iteration of the Seville is now called the STS. With a base MSRP of 19,xxx and 320hp with the 4.6 liter v8 option. this car sound's like it fits your criteria.

There is also an STS-V but i think this is out of your price range. It's made to compete with the M5 and E55 AMG. If i remember reading the article correctly it is a 4.6 liter supercharged northstar v8 making approx. 430hp.

good luck.

http://www.cadillac.com/cadillacjsp/models/gallery.jsp?model=sts