aftermarket mufflers....what's your choice?

1Quik7

i want to quiet my exhaust down, therefore i am going to have a muffler welded in somewhere along the piping...only thing is, i don't know which is the best for the money.

i'm looking for the same thing everyone else usually is, quiets it down without losing a crazy amount of flow. so, Magnaflow, Dynomax, Borla, Hooker, Eldelbrock, or dare i say Flowmaster....i have absolutely no experience with any of these brands, any opinions?

Does you car currently have any sort of muffler on it at all?? And how much quieter do you want it (me being anti-rotary sound, I'd personally want it silent, but that's probably not what you are looking for).

I have dual Dynomax bullet mufflers. They do quiet my Formula down a bit, but the car is still loud. But for around $35 bucks, it's not like you are throwing money away either.

Bullets are easy to fit and flow well, but they won't quiet the car down a lot. Pretty much all the other bullets cost more money than the Dynomax (some into the $100-150/each range), which is why the Dynomax is so popular. I've gotten a number of compliments on how they sound, but that's a GEN-II SBC, not a rotary, so results may vary.

i would go with the flowmaster but you need to get the muffler they recomend for big blocks its part of there delta flow line there is some diffrent baffling in them that helps cancel out the weard tones of a rotary. i had the very same muffler on a 12a rotary. i had a full header and two resionaters. it was mildly loud at wot but had a nice tone at idle and part throttle.

uh if this is for your seven, why not get a racing beat cat back? Thing is quiet as hell and doesn't restrict hardly anything what so ever. Check it out on both the 7 forums and you'll see what i'm talking about. Taken from personal experiance they work like a charm and when you get on it, they sounds smooth and have a nice rumble to them but don't drone especially on the highway.

T.c.

Steve, if this is for the 7, you need to pick one of these 2 options:

*1: buy a regular muffler and change it evry 1000 miles

*2: spend the money on a titanium/stainless, etc muffler.

Your motor has got to be spitting out some of the hottest exhaust gasses in the state. I know of stock FB's who cant keep a muffler together with no cats. You spew 1200 degree gasses, and those will gut pretty much any cheap muffler on the market. Normaly, for something that sounds like yours, I'd say to put a glass pack in every straight stretch of pipe you can find, it'll take alot of the "treble" out of your exhaust. But, those wont last long at all. Anything with glass in it will die quickly. Also, the less time the exhaust spend there, the better, so look for straight through's. You could get the flanged glasspacks and change them every month at $30 or so a piece. You may be better off with a one-time-buy of something decent, though.

Originally posted by Veritas:

uh if this is for your seven, why not get a racing beat cat back? Thing is quiet as hell and doesn't restrict hardly anything what so ever. Check it out on both the 7 forums and you'll see what i'm talking about. Taken from personal experiance they work like a charm and when you get on it, they sounds smooth and have a nice rumble to them but don't drone especially on the highway.

T.c.

yes this is for the RX7, and i would never put a RB Dual on here, talk about losing power, eek! currently i have the HKS Racing exhaust, which does have a Titanium "muffler" at the end, but it really doesn't do much.

i'm pretty much just concerned about quieting it down at idle, i know it's an uncapped rotary that ha been ported to hell, so it's gonna be crazy loud when i get on it, i just can't drive it anywhere civilized sounding the way it does right now.

can someone explain the differences between all these mufflers and why they wouldn't last? i thought most mufflers were just steel baffles and resonators.

Originally posted by 1Quik7:

yes this is for the RX7, and i would never put a RB Dual on here, talk about losing power, eek! currently i have the HKS Racing exhaust, which does have a Titanium "muffler" at the end, but it really doesn't do much.

i'm pretty much just concerned about quieting it down at idle, i know it's an uncapped rotary that ha been ported to hell, so it's gonna be crazy loud when i get on it, i just can't drive it anywhere civilized sounding the way it does right now.

can someone explain the differences between all these mufflers and why they wouldn't last? i thought most mufflers were just steel baffles and resonators.

egads, if you dont want to loose power, stay away from glass packs, they flow worse then straight pipe.

Most flowmasters are just steel baffles. What shortens the life is the eat. Things expand, things contract, and I've seen flowmaster that "inflate" under high hp/heat abuse. That all weakens welds, or the steel around the welds, eventualy causing the baffles to break loose. If that doesn't get them, rust will.

Plus they're restrictive, may gain you some torqure though. tongue.gif

I wasn't aware that you could do duals on an FD. Avoid Fbody styl muffler set ups, if you can get 2 tips with one muffler per, that'd be best.

If you have the room some where under your car, you could dry spliting the pipe off into a Y, through 2 mufflers, then back into a single pipe and back out your existing exhaust.

How much are you willing to spend, and how much power are you willing to sacrifice?

Why would you split into a y, and than back into a single? Good way to tell exhaust scavenging to go screw itself.

I think resonators would work fine for you, rather than a muffler. I have a borla system, and w/ just the muffler it was loud, but once i stuck on the two resonating tips it's perfect. The headers/y-pipe helped deepen things up as well.

Honestly, most people don't know i have an exhaust, it looks pretty stock and just has a deeper sound to it really.

Flowmasters suck even worse than other chambered/baffled mufflers for flow. Straight through is the way to go for power.

I liked the edelbrock performer RPM's I had on my old camaro. They're a straight through design with steel packing. I had the smaller case 2.5" version(~7" X 3 1/2") and they were really quiet even though you can look right through them. My hooker cat back exiting out the rear was louder than two of those dumped before the axle. I think they only go up to 3" though, what diameter is your exhaust?

get a exhaust system you like then stick a cutout somewhere with an electronic switch to open and close it whenever you want, the switch has warranties on them cause the heat will kill them but it is definitely the way to go if you want power on the weekend and drivability during the week

Guest mudbutt
Im with Joe on the dynamax bullets. we use them on everything from mustangs, to dsms. We found on 2 similar dsms that placing it a little more forward will help the sound a lot. both cars had similar mods and the same size turbo. We placed one in the rear by the bumper, the other right before the axle. the one by the bumper was more buzzy and louder. The one pre axle was deeper toned and much more livable. Neither car had a cat and both were full 3" after a 2.5" dp.

is your car the crazy loud blue one. the one that you can hear idle from like three blocks away. if so i could see why you would want to quite it down at idle. i think it sound bad ass though. do you have any sound clips of it or any similiar. most people i know have never even heard anything like that.

Originally posted by NECO:

Why would you split into a y, and than back into a single? Good way to tell exhaust scavenging to go screw itself.

to pass the flow through 2 mufflers and restrict things as little as possible, thereby reducing noise and minimizing backpreasure. It reguard to scavenging, look up "beehhheeewst!" graemlins/thumb.gif This car knows no torque and cares not for scavenging, getting the gasses out and away smoothy is paramount.