Tire recommendations

Hwilli1647545487

I am going to be buying 4 new tires soon, and I was hoping people could post some reviews of some tires they have been happy with.

235/40/18 and 275/35/18

I currently have the Perelli Pzeros on there, and they seem ok, but I'd like something a little stickier. The car rarely sees rain, and isn't driven much so wear isn't a concern... road noise is though.

Suggestions?

Originally posted by mjeosu27:

DO NOT get Kuhmo Ectsa Supras. A friend of mine has 245/50/16's and they leave a burnout patch about 4 inches wide, even at 20 psi. They are a super hard tire, and a waste of money.

hmmmm...

sounds like they may last more than a month with my driving... :D

what kind of mileage you get out of them? i'm looking for something i can abuse regularly and still not worry TOO much about wearing down quickly. for any sort of drag racing, i'll simply bolt a set of drag radials on the back anyways...

graemlins/bubbrubb.gif

yeah the supras suck....the tires ;)

yokohama paradas got a bad wrap but they came out with the parada spec-2 which is a softer compound, i heard good things.

the tire i'm looking at for my 7 is the yokohama ES100

Originally posted by controler:

Bridgestone Potenza S03's or Dunlop SP9000's.

Never heard anything but good with the Potenza's and the 03's are better than ever!

Like berto I'm also looking @ the ES100's for my not soo supra daily driver that will be driven in the train often smile.gif Seems like a good tire for the money and better in the dry than the Kuhmo's

I've got one for you to shy away from: Yoko AVS Sport.

These are awesome in the rain with good wear, but weren't soft enough for my taste and lacked the lateral grip I was looking for. Still a great tire, but not one to suit your needs.

I'll be trying a set of S-03's next.

Jamie

Originally posted by mjeosu27:

DO NOT get Kuhmo Ectsa Supras. A friend of mine has 245/50/16's and they leave a burnout patch about 4 inches wide, even at 20 psi. They are a super hard tire, and a waste of money.

I have the Supra 712's on my Formula; 275/40/17. AS long as the weather is fairly warm, they seem to stick pretty well for me, at least in a straight line. My suspension isn't stock, and I'm sure that helps some, but they aren't THAT bad. Wear wise, they haven't lasted all that long. :(

My next set of tires will be the Nitto 555R-II DOT Road Race tires. :D

Originally posted by Nitrousbird:

I have the Supra 712's on my Formula; 275/40/17. AS long as the weather is fairly warm, they seem to stick pretty well for me, at least in a straight line. My suspension isn't stock, and I'm sure that helps some, but they aren't THAT bad. Wear wise, they haven't lasted all that long. :(

My next set of tires will be the Nitto 555R-II DOT Road Race tires. :D

But F-bodies can't turn. :(

Originally posted by bigbabyjesus:

They sure turn better than your average FWD car. smile.gif Hell, the one time I went auto-xing (the one place FWD can shine), I actually ran faster than most of the FWD cars there. Not bad for being on those damn Kumhos. Sadly, I was last place (3rd) in my tiny class (SVO w/ "DOT slicks" was #1, #2 was my roomates SS on street tires and a road-race setup).

Originally posted by bigbabyjesus:

There's a moronic statement.

I’m running Kumho 712’s in 245/45/16 and I have nothing to complain about when the temperature is above 45, below that they suck. I’ve also autocrossed them a few times and they run completive with other street tires (the right air pressure is the key). Of course they don’t stand up my 265/45/16 VictorRacers. I only have a 8k on them but I haven’t seen any real wear problems except when I ran them at Norwalk last year, I tore the hell out of them.

Originally posted by Nitrousbird:

They sure turn better than your average FWD car. smile.gif Hell, the one time I went auto-xing (the one place FWD can shine), I actually ran faster than most of the FWD cars there. Not bad for being on those damn Kumhos. Sadly, I was last place (3rd) in my tiny class (SVO w/ "DOT slicks" was #1, #2 was my roomates SS on street tires and a road-race setup).

I was just yanking your chain. tongue.gif

Originally posted by controler:

Bridgestone Potenza S03's or Dunlop SP9000's.

My 205/50/15 Bridgestone Potenza SO-3 are in the garage and ready to be whooooped upone. But what I have heard is that these are gonna be the best all around tire. Might last a little longer than the Azienas as well.

Something about the so-3's that is really neat, is that they have alot of layers of different rubber. On the outside it has a little bit of harder layers of rubber, and doesn't stick as well as when it start's to get worn down a little bit. So the more you wear off of the tire, the better they stick. Just thought I would share some information my TireRack salesman gave me.

My roommate has the falken azenis, 265/35/18 on his car, and they handle great in wet and dry conditions. He has a 2002 Camaro SS, and it handles great and has very little road noise. Traction doesnt seem to be a problem. I'd buy a set......