Personal Protection Question...

scheetz31

I am in the market for a gun for personal and home protection. I have talked to a couple of gun owners and they are telling me that for home protection get a shotgun. I have been shopping for a few months now and would like to pick up a tactical style shotgun, like what mossberg has, with a pistol grip. Now i heard that haveing a pistol grip shotgun is illegal in ohio...is this true?

this is what i was looking at....

http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=5&section=products

i think 16" is the shortest it can be

18" on shotguns, sans tax stamp

16" on rifles, sans tax stamp

My personal opinion: you can pick up a Remington 870 magnum express (6+1 shots) for around $300 new. This is by far the best deal, IMO for a home defense gun. I'm sure Mossberg makes an equivalent which would work just as well.

Pistol grips are pretty pointless, IMO, on a shotgun such as this. They might look cool, but for a tube-fed shotgun, I'd think they'd just make reloads slower. And they certainly don't have any advantage over a regular grip.

Edit* - just saw the one you were looking at. Not trying to be a dick, but, that thing's a joke. That brake is pointless, and heavy. The barrel shroud (the shoulder thing that goes up) is also pointless, and just adds weight to the gun. And, you really should have a shoulder stock on a gun like this. It'll give you way more control. Ever tried to aim a shotgun without a stock? Those guns look neat, but they aren't practical, IMO.

Pistol grips are pretty pointless, IMO, on a shotgun such as this. They might look cool, but for a tube-fed shotgun, I'd think they'd just make reloads slower. And they certainly don't have any advantage over a regular grip.

Edit* - just saw the one you were looking at. Not trying to be a dick, but, that thing's a joke. That brake is pointless, and heavy. The barrel shroud (the shoulder thing that goes up) is also pointless, and just adds weight to the gun. And, you really should have a shoulder stock on a gun like this. It'll give you way more control. Ever tried to aim a shotgun without a stock? Those guns look neat, but they aren't practical, IMO.

not true, the pistol grip allows you to shoot from the hip which means you can kill much more people like in the movies all gansta style.

also the shoulder thing that goes up is great for slaughtering people like helpless pigs as shown in predator,

and oh crap its got the flash suppressor, that make you invisible during the night. :bangbang::D

The shooting range I go to won't allow you to shoot pistol grip shotguns. Just stick with a normal one. All you need is one that makes a loud cocking sound. Everyone knows what a shotgun sounds like, especially a robber at night.

I am in the market for a gun for personal and home protection. I have talked to a couple of gun owners and they are telling me that for home protection get a shotgun. I have been shopping for a few months now and would like to pick up a tactical style shotgun, like what mossberg has, with a pistol grip. Now i heard that haveing a pistol grip shotgun is illegal in ohio...is this true?

this is what i was looking at....

http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=5&section=products

No. Where the hell do people get their information?

Works great for me.

Mossberg M500 shotgun

Remington M870 Tactical pistol grip stock

Surefire forearm model 617

Sight rail is the top rail from a TM M4 upper receiver. I cut it down to size, drilled / tapped holes for it to screw into.

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/107163755.jpg

Edited by TTQ B4U

Get whatever you are comfortable with for home defense. Just not a pistol grip shotgun. People get those just to look cool, not for any real function. Any more, I feel that unless you have plenty of room to maneuver, you are still better off with a handgun. But, it all depends on house layout, having children around, visitors, whatever.

After looking at Mossberg's website, I noticed that what the threadstarter was looking at isn't necessarily what the rest of us saw. You scroll through all the different models from the same page.

Anyway, I would avoid the Cruiser models, those are the pistol grip ones. For HD, you would probably be better off with a 20 gauge, less recoil. The models I would suggest from Mossberg are: 500 SPX, 500 Persuader, 500 Tactical, 590 Special Purpose, and 500 Mariner.

Get whatever you are comfortable with for home defense. Just not a pistol grip shotgun. People get those just to look cool, not for any real function. Any more, I feel that unless you have plenty of room to maneuver, you are still better off with a handgun. But, it all depends on house layout, having children around, visitors, whatever.

After looking at Mossberg's website, I noticed that what the threadstarter was looking at isn't necessarily what the rest of us saw. You scroll through all the different models from the same page.

Anyway, I would avoid the Cruiser models, those are the pistol grip ones. For HD, you would probably be better off with a 20 gauge, less recoil. The models I would suggest from Mossberg are: 500 SPX, 500 Persuader, 500 Tactical, 590 Special Purpose, and 500 Mariner.

Bahh

AA Buckshot for HD FTW.

What are you breaching? Wrists?

Doors. The idea behind the brake on the end of the barrel is so that the gas has somewhere to go when you put the barrel right up next to the door, thus preventing you from fucking up your barrel, ala, Elmer Fudd style.

Home Defense: Good.

Shotgun: Good.

12g: Good

20g: Better than harsh words.:bangbang:

Pistol Grip Only: You and anyone else in your house that might use it better practice a metric shit ton with that thing.

Prefer a pistol myself. With practice you can use it with one or two hands and much easier to deploy in a house. Not to mention most nightstands won't hold a shotgun.:D

Works great for me.

Mossberg M500 shotgun

Remington M870 Tactical pistol grip stock

Surefire forearm model 617

Sight rail is the top rail from a TM M4 upper receiver. I cut it down to size, drilled / tapped holes for it to screw into.

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/107163755.jpg

This is what I have minus the light and scope. I bought it from SCotty for 300 bones and it sits next to my bed every night. i personally like the pistol grip though ive admittadly never shot a 'traditional' grip shotgun. barrel length is 18inches.

This is what I have minus the light and scope. I bought it from SCotty for 300 bones and it sits next to my bed every night. i personally like the pistol grip though ive admittadly never shot a 'traditional' grip shotgun. barrel length is 18inches.

Good price. I added the light and grip after I got mine. With kids we are pretty careful about the guns in our home. This one is in a closet above the door in our "safe room" where the wife and kids retreat to.

I most always keep a hand-gun in the bed stand when we retire and I put it back in the safe. With the kids around I have two GunVault fingerprint safes where I keep them. One in the family room, right here with me and the other in my office in the lower level. Instant access to a loaded weapon should the need arise yet the kids couldn't get to them if they tried.