How have you learned another language?

wnaplay1647545503

Took 3 years of Spanish in HS (I can do more than get by)

Lived in Iraqi city/worked with their worthless armed forces - Arabic (enough to get me by)

Plan on learning more German and Russian one day, and hopefully build upon my Arabic. I was going to try the rosetta stone, but I plan on probably studying another language when I go back to school. Probably going to test my Arabic honestly, I'll do the German or Russian on my own.

Anyone know how the rosetta stone thing works?

It's a long tutorial set of CD's, with practical exercises. The shit honestly works, so believe the hype. I tried a bit of it out when I was stationed @ Ft.Hood. I found it pretty easy to hold on to the info, than compared to traditional classes.

I really need to get off my ass and start learning sign language. My mother in law is deaf, and I feel a bit akward when I go back to Newfoundland to visit, as everyone else knows how to sign (plus it would be helpful at work from time to time). Too bad I am so busy with work/house stuff that taking on learning sign language may be a bit much right now.

Do they have Rosetta Stone for sign language?

The Marine Corps put me through the 63 week Arabic course at the Defense Language Institute when I first joined several years ago. It was designed to take someone with zero proficiency in Arabic (but a good learning ability) and be a functioning speaker, reader, and writer of the language. Although it was very long, it worked. Since it had been a couple years since attending that course, a few months ago I began Rosetta Stone course offered through one of our education networks as a refresher.

It starts out at the basic level just like our DLI course, and progresses quite smoothly. As someone already skilled in the language, I was very impressed at how effective the teaching style is. If you have the cash to shell out for it, and have a serious drive to learn it, I recommend doing it.

Ich spreche Deutch nicht sehr gut.

1 year of Latin, 1 year of German, and 2 years of Spanish; and all I can speak/understand is English. :p Bollocks!

I am interested in Rosetta Stone however. I'd like to learn Japanese.

I study Japanese on the side, while I wait to graduate from DeVry so I can go to someplace else for real classes. I tried Rosetta Stone, and just could not take anything away from it, and also found it very boring and not very engaging. I find video lessons on YouTube and audio books much easier to learn by, as well as subtitled TV shows.

I really need to get off my ass and start learning sign language. My mother in law is deaf, and I feel a bit akward when I go back to Newfoundland to visit, as everyone else knows how to sign (plus it would be helpful at work from time to time). Too bad I am so busy with work/house stuff that taking on learning sign language may be a bit much right now.

Do they have Rosetta Stone for sign language?

All i really know.. and i learned it from workign at burger king in high school. :p

Cheese

http://images.meredith.com/ab/images/2006/03/ss_100487173_ani.gif

Ketchup

http://www.lifeprint.com/asl101/signjpegs/k/ketchup1.jpg

http://www.lifeprint.com/asl101/signjpegs/k/ketchup3.jpg

http://www.lifeprint.com/asl101/signjpegs/k/ketchup5.jpg

I've learned Russian for the past 3 years at OSU, which has really helped but theres only so much you can learn in a classroom or in the books. You've gotta get immersed, so I'm going to Ukraine this summer, hopefully i'll be way more fluent by the time i get back

Started spanish in 5th grade, took it through senior year. Got off plane in Mexico City freshman year in college and couldn't understand a damn thing. After 8 weeks in Mexico, I found myself thinking in spanish. Spent a whole year, still don't consider myself "fluent". Air Force Defense Language Institute (DLI) added to to the russian I learned from my grandparents growing up. IMO, the best way to learn spanish is six months on a beach in Veracruz. Great beaches, Fantastic food, no gringo turistas.

Started spanish in 5th grade, took it through senior year. Got off plane in Mexico City freshman year in college and couldn't understand a damn thing. After 8 weeks in Mexico, I found myself thinking in spanish. Spent a whole year, still don't consider myself "fluent". Air Force Defense Language Institute (DLI) added to to the russian I learned from my grandparents growing up. IMO, the best way to learn spanish is six months on a beach in Veracruz. Great beaches, Fantastic food, no gringo turistas.

But there is swine flu...

It's a long tutorial set of CD's, with practical exercises. The shit honestly works, so believe the hype. I tried a bit of it out when I was stationed @ Ft.Hood. I found it pretty easy to hold on to the info, than compared to traditional classes.

This is good to know. I am going to be starting in a Spanish class in 3 weeks. I have thought about buying Rosetta Stone as a study aid while I drive. That confirmed that I should.