Of the following which would you buy and why?

hpfiend

For the wife and weekend family duty... She's definitely into cars/performance but not as obsessed as me- we will still have the vette and a 4wd explorer so have sport and utility pretty much covered-

Need reliable, space for 1 maybe 2 kids with carseats and their stuff, not boring with decent acceleration and handling, and a decent interior- AWD is a plus but FWD is ok.

06-08 Acura TL

06-08 Acura RL

?? years but Volvo S60 or S60R

09-10 Ford Fusion

05-? Subaru Legacy GT

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

S60R.

My brother has one, and it's a nice car. It's comfortable, good power, good brakes and nice features. AWD. The shifter is kinda goofy.

I also like the TL but it doesn't have the performance of the S60R and its FWD. I also dont think it comes in a manual like the volvo does.

leagcy gt (the turbo car).

My vote would be the wagon.

1.) AWD

2.) Cheap mods to be had

3.) Reliable

4.) cheaper than other listed than the fusion

5.) resale.

this pretty much sums it up. subarus hold their value really well.

For a family car I would say the RL. We have been testing one at work and it is amazing. I have no problem being in the back seat for 4+ hours at a time. Even going through brake stops, hard accels and cornering it still manages to be comfortable. If you can find one with CMBS it is an amazing safety system. If you ever need it or get to experience it, you will be more thankful for that component then seat belts. It handles great in the winter even with the factory tires. The only downside in my book is the big ugly "chrome beak". When we were at the dealer getting ours, they told us they have started painting the grills body color and they sell a lot faster that way.

TL, maybe...but it is FWD in those years. :(

I don't like the RL. Fusion = lame. Legacy didn't impress me.

Maybe the S60R (not the standard S60).

Personally, I don't like any of those choices - I can think other cars in that class/price range I'd much rather have.

My vote is for the Leggy, of course.

I don't have experience with the Acuras or Volvo, but while the Fusion is nearly the same in exterior dimensions to the Leggy, the Leggy has more interior room. I can set the driver's set for my 6'4" frame and then sit in the seat behind without hitting my knees in the Leggy. When I tried that in the Fusion, I had to straddle the seat as if I was in the back of an Impreza.

I don't know about the regular Fusion or the others, but the Legacy has an overabundance of fuel efficiency gauges. It's annoying at first, but it did actually let me get a 23mpg average from driving to work and back on regular streets with about 4 stops in each direction. I haven't driven it to the coast yet, so I don't have any mileage data for long highway trips. But I'm expecting good things (considering it's a 3500lb full-time AWD car.)

The Legacy also has a lot of surprising "luxury" touches also. I was very surprised, since I expected it to just be a slightly larger Impreza. I'd highly recommend taking one for a spin.

Fusion Sport. good looking vehicle

^^ ask me why I say this :p

Love the car. It's not a TL or RL nor is it meant to be. I compare it to a fully loaded Honda Accord, Altima, Camry, etc.....You've listed a few cars that of course are certainly very nice but ultimately your wallet has to vote. I Buick Lacrosse is a damn nice car too. I chose the Fusion Sport as a Company Car that will see plenty of miles and believe me, my ass wanted comfort and performance. I have every single possible option outside AWD. If I did it all over again, I'd forgo the Navi and do AWD.

Has plenty of balls. Especially in the 65-120mph range. Not one bit of drop off in pull. Cornering is good. Would be great if the car came with better tires than the squealing pigs the Goodyear RSA's.

Interior is very nice. Seats are well designed and very comfy. The 12 speaker 390 watt Sony Sound System kicks ass too. I've taken it on 7hr + drives with zero issues. Good looking but not overdone by any means and yet mainstream enough that cops are going to be hunting you down. I also like the fact that there are very few of the Sport Editions out ont he road. I see by far more typical SE's than ones like mine.

Those are my thoughts. I have nearly 14,000 miles on mine already.

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/129352199/original.jpg

I just bought an 07 TL for my wife and we've been very happy with it. Nice interior with plenty of space, all the features you could want, and still returns decent mileage.

It is FWD and not sporty at all, but you said you had sporty covered, and I'm guessing that your wife isn't going to be railing off-ramps every day pushing the limits of a FWD vs RWD debate. The car will at least get up and go when needed and not feel underpowered.

Thanks for all of the replies! You are right the acuras are definitely on the high end of the price scale- but we liked our RSX-S we bought new and recently sold with 140K miles and not a problem one but a drivers door lock solenoid and a few heatshield rattles in the 7 years we had it.

We do not want a manual transmission in this car so if the S60 R is not available in auto we want the standard S60. The 08 TL we drove the other day seemed to handle pretty well - not a corvette but for its bulk and class of car we thought it was pretty good... the fusion V6 (SE or SEL) had lots of body roll and the interior seemed cheaper quality but the car we drove did not have leather and do not know if it had the upgraded roll bars so we will look at others- it did seem peppy. We are going to drive an RL later this week and I guess go to a subaru dealer to find a legacy GT wagon or sedan... Any ideas on the S60 or R? I guess MAG? I despise that place...

Thanks,

Andrew

So far that is 8 for the Legacy, 5 for the Volvos, and 2 each for the rest.

S60R.

My brother has one, and it's a nice car. It's comfortable, good power, good brakes and nice features. AWD. The shifter is kinda goofy.

I also like the TL but it doesn't have the performance of the S60R and its FWD. I also dont think it comes in a manual like the volvo does.

S60 enough said!