Home Owners - Check your Sump Pumps

TTQ B4U

Just a reminder to all fellow home owners to check their sump pumps.

Last night the wife and I thought we heard something. It was the faint sound of the battery back up going off through two closed doors, a family room and up to the third level. Needless to say, we were asleep the whole time.

As we woke up this morning my wife said she smelled oil. At first I thought "oh shit, blower in the furnace" Nope....different smell than I would normally suspect from the blower. Then I turned to thinking the clothes dryer since she just turned it on. Nope...walked over to sump....yep...strong smell of burnt motor and oil and the grinding sound of a dying pump as it continued to cycle in a dry well. Tempeture of it was so hot, I could feel it radiating off the well :eek: Scary really.

So now I'm waiting for my soon to be brother in law who has his own plumbing contract business to come celebrate the day after Turkey Day helping me put in a new system and replace the battery in my back up unit that is afterall, 7 years old. Our home is 21 years old now and I suppose I got my money worth from the original unit. Thankfully, I got my money out of my back up system too.

Cliffs: Be sure to check your sump system for working order and seriously consider a back up unit too. It likely saved my ass and my fully finished lower level. Well, at least the laundry / work room area for sure.

I just checked mine last week since when I came home my house smelled a little off. Ended up my shut off diafram was busted and not giving power to my pump. Either way after calling Ridged they sent out a new one and everything works fine. I hear you switch out that every two years no matter what. They didn't ask for anything but my name and address and sent me the part.

dont feel too bad man...i got up today to my g/f saying her moms tire was a little flat, then she stops over and said her and my g/fs grandpa found a nail in it...ok, no biggie, i'll take it to derek...when taking off the spare, one of the lugnuts got cross threaded, and one stud snapped

i then got to replace 3 (was going to do all 4 so i didnt have to deal with them but dealership only had 3) studs and nuts in my driveway while it was ~37 degrees. FML.

I just checked mine last week since when I came home my house smelled a little off. Ended up my shut off diafram was busted and not giving power to my pump. Either way after calling Ridged they sent out a new one and everything works fine. I hear you switch out that every two years no matter what. They didn't ask for anything but my name and address and sent me the part.

Ridged....Home Depot Brand IIRC. They tout that as having a lifetime warranty, exchange, etc....I bought a a Zoeller 1/2 HP from Sears as I have had great luck and service through Sears. The original was nearly 21 years old. SZoeller is one of the only ones that will handle Effluent Water....aka backflush from a clogged sewer. Not that I want that, but if it happens and it flows to the low point in the room....the sump, I want to make sure it handles it.

I just got a bad flash back. I know all to well what can happen if you do not have a functioning sump pump. I now have the best you can buy but I need a back up for peace of mind.

See my post right above this one. Zoeller FTW

Two pump failures at first house, two at this one. I HATE sump pumps.

And yes, I bought backups... that failed to charge the deep cycle battery.

Now, I just trickle charge my own marine deep cycle every few weeks hooked to the 2nd pump.

what brand ?????

what brand ?????

The old house - no idea, what ever Home Depot had, 2nd from cheapest.

This house - whatever Lowes had, next from most expensive this last time.

I went down just now to see what brand the "backup" pump is...

and it's so badass that is has no name markings on it. :) Battery is DieHard Marine.

We moved into our new house and two weeks later the sump pump would not quit running unless I unplugged it.

Now I have a pressure pump that makes noise every once in awhile. So I am waiting to see if it gets more consistent and then call the Home Warranty Company to dispatch a tech.

If it is covered we have to pay a $50 deduct. If not I have to pay for the house call and the repair.

Chuck

speaking of sump pumps, i ran into an issue with mine last night, on my primary pump, the float got stuck under the pipe that brings in water. so the water level started to rise and then my back up pump must have been locked up because it didnt kick on, so i had to take it out and got it to loosen up and work again. luckly i saw it when i did because the water was at the very top of the pit.

btw anyone have the water powered back up system installed? i have been thinking about getting one since you dont have to worry about a battery or anything.

this is the one i am talking about

http://www.radonseal.com/pumps/water-powered-pumps.htm

Two pump failures at first house, two at this one. I HATE sump pumps.

And yes, I bought backups... that failed to charge the deep cycle battery.

Now, I just trickle charge my own marine deep cycle every few weeks hooked to the 2nd pump.

Did you have a Marine Battery to begin with?

Did you have the battery in a case?

Was it off the floor?

I have mine in a case on a shelf about 12" off the floor. Held a charge and worked like a charm, but unfortunately it had a 7yr old battery. Now I have a nice M3 Marine Battery in there to give it plenty of time to run.

Ridged....Home Depot Brand IIRC. They tout that as having a lifetime warranty, exchange, etc....I bought a a Zoeller 1/2 HP from Sears as I have had great luck and service through Sears. The original was nearly 21 years old. SZoeller is one of the only ones that will handle Effluent Water....aka backflush from a clogged sewer. Not that I want that, but if it happens and it flows to the low point in the room....the sump, I want to make sure it handles it.

If your worried about it, install a one way check valve.

If your worried about it, install a one way check valve.

I replaced the check valve. What I meant is the Zolly is capable of processing sewage and debris. It's a tough little bastard. Testimant to what can be built right here in the USA in KY.

Welcome to my little project tonight. I couldn't finish my day without a pic and poke for my friend Ben :)

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/130661015/original.jpg

Yes it is a Home Depot Brand. Until it brakes I'm not going to replace it. I was told like I said to replace that part every two years from now on since it is fails around that time. Like others have said make sure to get a one way check valve installed to help with the backflush. I have one installed on mine, but we are not on a sewer system at our house.

I do like the idea of that backup system you have installed for when the main system craps out. I just need a T installed and a bit of pipe to extend the main pump lower to make a bit more room. I don't think it is a good idea to keep that main pump so low in the hole to not suck up any dirt or rocks that could get into that pit.

I replaced the check valve. What I meant is the Zolly is capable of processing sewage and debris. It's a tough little bastard. Testimant to what can be built right here in the USA in KY.

Welcome to my little project tonight. I couldn't finish my day without a pic and poke for my friend Ben :)

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/130661015/original.jpg

is there supposed to be that much sand and rocks in the pit?

i would love a battery back up for mine. when i first moved in, the damn thing would just turn on and stay on for days. i called up management and made them replace it since it was nearly dead anyway. but it does have me freaked out, if the power were to go out.... and its raining... my doggie would die

So forgive my stupidity....but it sounds like everyone has one these?

I don't, and am wondering why most people do?

I've never had a problem with water in my basement, and the previous owner of 37 years said he never did either...but now I'm curious.