Nelson Ledges June Track Day

theweiser1

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't want to spend $100 on something for one day, not worth it at all(hell, entry fee is only that much). Rotors are warped to hell also. Just no point with dropping $1200 on the brembos.

I'm still searching around to see if I can get them in time, maybe ill get lucky.

Looks like I will not get the Cheverra done in time to make this one. Took the week off to try and get it together - making great progress but too many little missing bits & pieces to get it finished up.

Looks like fall before it goes to the track...

still contemplating.

feel that maybe my "street" car is too low for a bumpy track.

anyone going that has a relatively low car?

I rarely rub on the street but I usually dont get the chance to do many high speeds corners with it.

Thoughts?

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i15/cruizin01/GTI/DSC_3348.jpg

Well are the fenders rolled? my cousins mustang is very low. The headers ofter drag and he didnt have problems. However he did wear some tire where the fender and tire meet but he was really pushing it... remember to its not a race. You can go as hard as you want. You don't have to "really push it". I can't say for sure but i wouldn't think you would have problems.

/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/1042169502_ZLGj6-L.jpg

still contemplating.

I rarely rub on the street but I usually dont get the chance to do many high speeds corners with it.

Thoughts?

you look to be OK, in my non-expert opinion

Is it to late to sign up for this?

no...come play!

http://torquedracing.eventbrite.com/?ref=ecount

still contemplating.

Thoughts?

First: nice brakes

You talking fender to tire rub, or you're worried about bottoming out? If you have offset, tire size issues and you rub in hard turns on the street then yes you will rub, if you're just rubbing on the street when you hit aweful expansion joints then I think you'll be ok.

If you're talking ground clearance the track isn't THAT bumpy. I've taken many many lowered cars around Nelson and never had ground clearance problems.

My 996 had no issues and it was pretty darn low.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q192/ZainoDetail/Picture007.jpg

Andy

Heavily contemplating coming out for this... I've never done a track day before, but I've got 5 autocross events under my belt. I have a 2011 WRX, stock brakes and stock summer tires, would my car be able to survive? I'm also not interested in racing bumper to bumper with more advanced folks, I'd like to pace myself around the track and avoid any and all damage... does anyone have any insight into how the novice class is run?

Airwg - short answer, yes. Your car will handle just fine. I have a 04 STi and have been at many track days where WRX's have been running and have been 100% stock without any issues. You will learn a lot about your car that you never knew about it. If you are thinking of going you SHOULD it really is the most fun you can have in your car with your pants on. :)

I am coming out of Canal and driving up there the day of. So if you are interested in driving up there together we can. Just PM me.

I haven't been to one of theweiser's track days but most of the novice groups are all filled with like minded people like you that just want to take it easy and not run 'bumper to bumper'. 90% of the people will drive their cars up to the track and will want to drive them home. I don’t want to speak out of turn here but there are passing zones and rules that greatly lower the risk of anything going wrong. I will let weiser expand on that if he wish's. If not it all will be covered before you get on track at the drivers meeting.

First: nice brakes

You talking fender to tire rub, or you're worried about bottoming out? If you have offset, tire size issues and you rub in hard turns on the street then yes you will rub, if you're just rubbing on the street when you hit aweful expansion joints then I think you'll be ok.

If you're talking ground clearance the track isn't THAT bumpy. I've taken many many lowered cars around Nelson and never had ground clearance problems.

My 996 had no issues and it was pretty darn low.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q192/ZainoDetail/Picture007.jpg

Andy

thanks.

the brakes are one of my favorite upgrades.

yeah usually rub on fast dips in the road. not necessarily corning. so we'll see.

just signed up. cant wait. havent had in track time in several years.

hope the weather holds and the car stays together. lol.

Thanks for registering!!!

Posting the schedule either later tonight or tomorrow.... more to follow.... I found out yesterday that Nelson has included an "official" instructor in the rental fee so we will have a few "class room" sessions etc... more details later....

Thanks,

Shawn

Should I run my regular tires (235/45/17 HTR+'s) or use a friends set of 225/45/17 Hoosier race slicks?

I've never been on a road course and my car is stock with the sport suspension.

My tires get loose/scream/spin on tight corners/turns around town, so that's the only reason I considered using a friends race tires, plus they're free.

Should I run my regular tires (235/45/17 HTR+'s) or use a friends set of 225/45/17 Hoosier race slicks?

I've never been on a road course and my car is stock with the sport suspension.

My tires get loose/scream/spin on tight corners/turns around town, so that's the only reason I considered using a friends race tires, plus they're free.

Don't run hoosiers if you've never been on a road course before. I went my first two seasons of tracking on street tires (18-20 total days), Sticky tires will just mask driver error until it's too late for you to know what you're doing wrong...then when they let go you'll go off as there's very little warning. Street tires progressively let go and talk to you when you're at the limits of adhesion.. You need to learn to overhwelm the street tires first, sliding the car around and learning exactly how it acts near, at and over it's limits before you even think about stepping up to a stickier tire.

Not to mention that hoosiers on a car that's not properly setup to run them (stock suspension) will cord probably within a single day if driven hard enough.

Andy