Ebay buyer claims he didn't get his package - what would you?

Nitrousbird

Sold a Sirius tuner on Ebay. Shipped it next day, and 2 weeks later, guy says he still hasn't received it. I've sold a lot of stuff online and never had to deal with this before.

- I shipped something the day before, that person got their item

- I shipped another item the same day, on the same receipt as this guy's item, and that person also got their item.

- Shipped via the cheapest way at USPS - Parcel Post. Notified buyer item shipped on 8/24

- Parcel Post doesn't have a tracking number, just a bill number.

Here are the communications with the buyer:

Buyer (August 28th): "Hi, I hope all is well! I still have not recieved the item. Could you please let me know the status of the shipment? If it got lost could you please refund me the money?"

Me (August 29th): "I mailed it via Parcel Post, so I wouldn't expect it for another couple of days going from Ohio to Texas."

Buyer (9/6/11): "Hi, I have been out of town and I have not received my item.

I thought when I came back from my trip that the item was going to be here and it still has not been received. Could you please let me know what you want to do next?"

Me (9/6/11): "I shipped your item the same day I shipped another item - I just messaged the other buyer to ensure they received their package. Please re-confirm your shipping address for me. I used the address listed in your payment to ship it."

Buyer (9/6/11): "Hi, Here is my address **sends me the exact address I sent package to**"

Me (9/7/11): "You may want to check with your post office to see if they are holding any packages for you. I checked with the other person I shipped an e-bay item to the same day (on the same receipt even) and he did receive his package."

Buyer (9/8/11): "Hi, I went to the post office this morning and there was no packages that they were holding for me. I asked them to see if there was any they could do but they told me that "They could not help me without any tracking number". Please Advise!!"

What process should I go from here? I know I shipped it in a properly packaged/sealed box and very clearly addressed it. I have a feeling I'm going to have to eat this, but I'd hate to refund $35 + the $7.65 in shipping and not have my Sirius tuner any longer. Lesson learned to purchase shipping confirmation, but I've shipped a ton of stuff over the years and have never had this issue? Buyer has a 100% feedback rating, as do I.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like it got lost. Really blows but it does happen. I have a small ebay business as well and so far, nothing has been lost but I always ship Fedex just in case, with tracking. Get a free small business online account with Fedex and you get 20% off shipping. Not quite as good a deal as parcel but not far either.

The timeframe and seller both sound legit, esp with 100% feedback.

I once shipped a package through USPS (It was intake piping) and it took the seller WEEKS to recieve it. He waited about two weeks before he said anything to me, then after talking to him through PM's for about two more weeks i finally was going to refund him, but the day before i went to the bank to deposit the money to send it back he recieved the item.

If your buyer is a cool guy, ask if they don't mind waiting 2 more weeks or so just incase. Then if its not there by set date, refund.

FYI, I don't have a small business doing this, just selling random stuff I don't need anymore.

I would use FedEx if there were any convienent to me - USPS just happens to be on my way to/from work.

I'll probably see if he can wait a week or two for refund in case it shows, but I doubt it. I did a Bing maps search on his place, and it is right off a pretty busy freeway and didn't exactly look like a great part of town. If the guy is being legit, another likely scenario is they left it on his step while he was on vacation and someone simply swiped it.

Unless you got confirmation, you are screwed. Just refund and move on.

You're going to eat it. Pay for the tracking number next time. I learned that lesson.

I hope you had insurance and tracked the package.

Yep. Always at least get DC.

You told the seller you would ship it and you did, did you guarantee its arrival? Did you discuss how he wanted it shipped prior to sending it. If you have shipping receipt than I would say thats all you are on the hook for. You know you shipped it, you have receipt, he can file a claim with usps to obtain his item or refund. I would tell him you will work with him on his claim but thats it. He will leave negative feedback and then you dispute feedback with your version.

Isnt there a serial number on the sirius models that you have to use to activate it? Or am I thinking something else.

If so, call the sirius people and ask if they have turned it on?

Otherwise I would just eat the cost and tell him to have a good day.. otherwise you'll be dinged on your seller rating..

I always ship UPS store, a little more $$ but, I get 100$ insurance and tracking number automatically..

Good point, contact sirius as it should be associated to your info and ask if someone else has activated it. If they wont give you info about new account ask if they would at least verify the first name if you gave it to them. Ask the guy to send you a letter stating he never received it and date it. If he turned it on before the date he signed, then contact police to charge the guy with theft or some sort of extortion.

Isnt there a serial number on the sirius models that you have to use to activate it? Or am I thinking something else.

Good idea - if I had the serial number. I never used the unit; I bought it in a package with the Alpine Sirius tuner for the head unit in my boat, but I had no use for this tuner (I use the SCVDOC1 instead so I can use my Sportster 5 and not have to pay a seperate monthly fee to Sirius).

I may check with the USPS I shipped it from tomorrow to see if there is anything they can do, but I HIGHLY doubt it. I'd rather refund the money than ding my feedback rating.

I had this happen once and luckily all I had to do was prove to paypal that I shipped the item. If or if not the buyer received it was not relevant, however this was several years back when I was selling parts daily. Shit like this is the reason I got out of the business of selling parts

I just went through the same type of situation. I sold my exhaust manifold to a Guy in new your. Shop it on Aug 10 via usps with tracking and insurance. Well September 2nd cones still doesn't have the package. He files a claim with PayPal , they instntly withdrew funds. Finally usps ships it to him on September 6th. He never calls PayPal or anything letting them know he's received the part. I call PayPal, turns out over $250 they need delivery confirmation. They try to contact him no luck. Finally I calked in 2x a try made 2 more attempts to call him. They get ahold of him the second time luckily. Had they nor got ahold of jim I would of been sol for $600.