Official 2012 Football thread

DaddyBuiltRacing

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the Denver Post is reporting that Butch Jones has accepted the job at Colorado...

Oh well, now the search begins for the next coach I guess...

I am completely honest when I say, I am really not that upset... especially not as upset as I was when BK left. Butch was a "good" coach, but cannot be put in that "great" category. I just have to remind myself of the many times I would find myself in games thinking "really? what kind of call was that?" And the fact it took him as long as it did to start Kay, who should have started from the beginning is also in question. The only 'scary' part that worries me, is finding a coach in the middle of this Big East turmoil... though, I have faith we will find ourselves in a stable conference soon, as we are now really the "top" of the Big East, and one would think the next to go, if more shifting occurs. Oh well, onward and upward! Go Bearcats!

EDIT: Now this comes out... lol, just fucking let us know, you're not good enough to put a strangle hold on the collective bearcat nation...

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8718285/butch-jones-calls-reports-colorado-buffaloes-false

Barry Alvarez is coaching in the rose bowl game. Wisconsin might have a chance now.

I heard that as well. I wonder if he'll fall in love with it again and coach the next few years. It could give Wisconsin a great opportunity to search for who they want as a coach instead of rushing into something.

Some interesting stuff being discussed on Scout regarding B1G expansion. Same guy who said Maryland and Rutgers over a year ago giving nevada his info today.

Here's the main post and I'll add more as I scour through the giant thread...

1) When PSU was added, plan was to go to 12 at some point.

2) Delay was 20 years, added Nebraska. Wasn't part of expanding BigTen

footprint, but rather to add CONTENT to BTN and add a likeminded institution.

3) If Delaney had known the type dominO effect he would set off, he WOULD have

added Mizzou and Kansas at the same time.

4) BTN has been a tremendous success, bigger than imagined. Part of deals with

cable providers create guarantees that providers have to kick back $1.25 per

subscription in primary states and be on any market that helps cover all

primary states (i.e. why New York market IS carried with Rutgers, even if

not a single person watches them). It's why Kansas is important cause they

are also AAU, likeminded, and get us on TWC and Comcast in Denver.

5) My best guess based on what B1G and Presidents want

15. Kansas

16. Missouri

17. UVA

18. UNC

19. Ga Tech

20. Notre Dame(but this could be Texas)---or ND and Texas could join based upon how quickly they move

6) Denver-New York, Minneapolis to Atlanta. It means 40% of ALL research done

in America will be done in the B1G. Additionally, BTN was such a success

that SEC, PAC12 will be replicating. We have to take more territory and

expand the business footprint so that we don't lose our financial advantage.

7) It's the perfect storm of Research, Academic, Athletics, and Business

behemoth.

8) Don't be surprised to see three or four "super conferences", with them breaking off from the NCAA and forming their own regulating body

9)-FSU is NOT an option. If we ever went into Florida it would be for UF, and that's not gonna happen. All of the talk about FSU can stop. It's just wasting time. They're headed to the Big12. Same goes with Clemson.

10)-Big Ten has a grand plan, but no timetable. When they're ready to go, they'll go. Right now, alot depends on the $50m buyout from Maryland. When that gets adjudicated we'll likely see the next move. However, if Delaney wakes up today and decides it's go time, then we'll go. 2017 is the end goal (i.e. renegotiating TV rights).

11)- Likely see 4 divisions of 5. OSU and Michigan will likely be in the same division. Probably with IU and Purdue, but no one knows for sure.

12)-Conference semi-finals followed by B1GCG the next week. Rotating basis (St. Louis, Minneapolis, Chicago, New York, Washington, Atlanta, etc.)

13)-Super conferences (whether it be 3 or 4, with 16 or 20 teams) will LEAVE NCAA.

14)-Texas is still in play(great cultural fit). But when Notre Dame has no where else to run, they'll come to the Big Ten, but on Delaney's terms. We will never offer them, but they can ask in.

-15) Next step after expanding footprint is expanding content quality. BTN has two sources of revenue (subscriptions and ads) when the quality gets better, the ratings go up and ad rates go up. Imagine when BTN is showing Kansas/IU or UNC/OSU as a conference game in bball.

16) -Built in advantage over any other conference financially. Delaney will ask for expenditure floor to make Purdue care about football quality much like Ole Miss has started to do

17)-Here are schools with NO chance: Tennessee, UK, Pitt, UC, UofL, Oklahoma, OkSt, VT, NCSU, UCONN, Syracuse, BC.

18)-Not sure what happens with Duke, they'll play them against UNC if UNC were to balk.....but they wont.

19)-Someone asked how much I know and how much is speculation: this is all from what the B1G wants, I don't have a crystal ball, but this what they want in Chicago.

20)-B1G tv negotiations will likely be NBC, ABC, FOX to go with BigTen. They're getting sick of ESPN, so ABC will likely have to make concessions to get the new contract. They are committed to improving the quality of production on B1G and make it like NFLNet and show more premium content there. Eventually, they hope to have OSU v. UM on BTN

21) -Looks like we'll eventually have 9 game schedule: 4 from your division, plus 4 from other division with one or two protected crossovers.

22) 4 home, 4 away, 1 neutral (i.e. MetLife, FedEx, Georgia Dome).

23) Grant of Rights isn't worth the paper it's printed on. Much like buyout numbers, their importance is overrated.

24)UNC badly wants the Big Ten. They have to worry about their fanbase/alumni. They'd prefer Duke and NCSU get situated before they make up their mind, but they won't wait too long and miss their spot on the train.

25) BigTen headquarters will remain in Chicago, but there will likely be satellite offices in New York and either Charlotte or Atlanta

26) UVA, GT, and Kansas will come today if we ask them. UNC has some internal stuff to work out plus state politics. Mizzou has some pride stuff to get over, but they'll get there.

27) Not expansion related, but Bret Bielema was running from Wisconsin just as much as he was running toward Arkansas. He was told he should look at other options cause his days at UW might be numbered.

Been lurking on scout and seems a lot of people are not very happy with how recruiting is going. While the class looks to be solid, it appears OSU is not going to land several of the big names left on the board. Some people feel Mitchell, Quick and Bell are not coming to OSU and will instead leave OSU to take some plan B guys. There is another JUCO LB coming in on a visit from what I have read, which would lead people to belive that some of the other LB recruits have told the staff no thanks.

Still a ways to go so we'll see how Urban does to finish this class off. The best part is people saying he can't close like Tressell, and you think I am a crazy OSU fan? Haha

I completely agree that UC would never be in contention to join the B1G... it does nothing for expanding the footprint, regardless of athletics or academics (i.e. even if they were super awesome athletically and the best academics in the world, with a 105k stadium... it does nothing to expand the B1G footprint, so no go)...

I personally would love to see an SEC invite (and before you laugh me off of here, consider this, sure UC would not be able to compete with the 5-6 power teams in football in the SEC... but I would argue they could be middle of hte pack, lower 1/3 against the rest of the conference, and when it comes to basketball, in the top ~4 every year. Stadium size would be a major setback, would need to either work a deal to get in PBS or a $60M renovation of Nippert.

I would like to call Big 12 my second choice, but even the B12 isnt "that" stable, just a few years ago they were looking to crumble too. but I think we could come in and be made a good rival to WVU and further eastern footprint expansion of the conference. We would also be a top basketball power (though we all know conference decisions are made on football, not basketball).

the ACC is my last choice, while it is looking to be the dominant basketball powerhouse, as i just reiterated, that is not what makes conference decisions. I could forsee the ACC be on the outside looking in, in the future if a super conference setup is created... UC would be more competitive in football in the ACC (top 30%) but would "above average" in basketball.

Been lurking on scout and seems a lot of people are not very happy with how recruiting is going. While the class looks to be solid, it appears OSU is not going to land several of the big names left on the board. Some people feel Mitchell, Quick and Bell are not coming to OSU and will instead leave OSU to take some plan B guys. There is another JUCO LB coming in on a visit from what I have read, which would lead people to belive that some of the other LB recruits have told the staff no thanks.

Still a ways to go so we'll see how Urban does to finish this class off. The best part is people saying he can't close like Tressell, and you think I am a crazy OSU fan? Haha

Quick is really up in the air now with Strong staying at Louisville. Everyone thought he would move on to bigger and better things after this season. Like I said a page or two ago, Louisville landing in the ACC really helped them in holding onto Strong. Bell has always been 50/50 at best. Thinking Bama on that one now but OSU still has some in-home type stuff I guess. Mitchell is still all OSU according to everything I've read. He will be in town this weekend and could leave as a commit. Hoping to pick him and Gareon Conley up this weekend as commits. Just getting those 2 would move OSU's class up to #6 in the country on Scout.

Still a lot of time left. Think of it this way... at this time last year Urban had only been on the job about 2 weeks and OSU had the finish they ended up having. They have all the silver lining advantages this season that they had last season (Urban and his guys didn't have to deal with bowl prep last season and don't this season either - all focus is on recruiting) plus a full staff and a smaller focus of spots to fill.

nevada keeps saying there will be more and more names popping up in the coming weeks as Urban casts a very wide net to finish this class.

"Jones is now being considered for the opening at Tennessee, according to a source. Wisconsin also remains a possible fit."

I would venture to say he is in talks, doesn't mean he is going to take the job, but I am sure he's listening.

97.1 reporting he turned down Tenn.

I do belive I called the 4 pods within the B10 several pages ago and people thought I was crazy.

When it was 16 I thought it would be silly. At 20 it's almost a necessity because you can't have 2 10-team divisions as you would either have to skip playing all of the teams in your own division or play none of the teams in the other. Here are some more info things from nevada's guy in that thread. Some may be a bit repetitive as he was answering questions from posters...

28) The goal for BTN is to be like ESPN in terms of where it's carried. Part of that comes from expanding the footprint, part comes from improving quality.

-29) Much was made of ESPN pulling all the BCS bowls from ABC and moving them to ESPN. Now, it's not a big deal. The same is the goal for the BTN, including putting premium content (B1GCCG, Bball tourney, OSU/Mich) on BTN, while other networks get 'second dibs'

30) -Rutgers and Maryland were asked to show financial strategic plans to the conference before being added. Additionally, they were asked to show plans to invest in facilities, personnel (i.e. coaches). The push for better quality is ON.

31) -Big East will likely exist as a Bball and Olympic Sports conference. They'll probably add the likes of Butler, Xavier, etc. to go with Villanova, Georgetown, St. Johns, Marquette.

-32) The Pac12 can get away without expanding and Scott is less aggressive than Delaney. But if they expand, the Big12 is done. Then the ACC, left over Big12, and Big East football schools make the final super-conference, and undoubtedly the weakest one.

-33) The only way we don't get Texas is if the Pac12 does. The Pac12 wants Texas and will take Oklahoma to get them. They won't take TTU and OkST, and that's why it hasn't happened yet.

-34) What's been missing from the discussion is demographics. The Big Ten states (as of 6 weeks ago) have a growth factor of 1%. When the eastern seaboard is added (particularly VA, NC, and GA) that number is accelerated.

-35) Encompassing the hubs of bio-medical research (midwest and Chicago), pharmaceutical research (rutgers, NJ corridor), Federally sponsored research and programs (UMD and Washington, D.C.), the Research Triangle which is the Silicon Valley of the East (UNC), and the business hub of the south (Atlanta) means that companies looking for patents will be investing in B1G companies.

36) -B1G will be focusing on Public-Private Partnerships to create revenue. This not only help increase academic/research facilities across campuses but also likely will lead to reduced financial burden on students.

37) 4 divisions of 5

Like the NFL scheduling method, you will play 4 from your division. I'm not sure how it would work to fill the extra 5 games, probably a combo of protected games and rotating other divisions by year

Charlie Strong has to be the next Tennessee HC.

Tennessee = fucking stupid. Stupid for dumping Fulmer, stupid for hiring Kiffin, stupid for hiring Dooley. And now they can't seem to get anyone they want and they'll have to settle for their 7th or 8th choice, I love it. They are getting what they deserve for their incompetence.

I love Charlie Strong and I'm glad he's staying at Louisville. He was so underrated in the past and now he's finally getting the attention and money he deserves, but as a Florida fan I'm not in a hurry to see him back in the SEC anytime soon.

Well, Butch Jones to Tennessee. I wish him well.

Now to see if and who we hire next. Funny, three years ago I was mad a the decision for Butch over Skip Holtz, but seeing his failure at USF makes me wonder... (Btw, jones was picked over Holtz in part because he was suppose to be the "safer" option that would be less likely to bolt, lol.

Tennessee = fucking stupid. Stupid for dumping Fulmer, stupid for hiring Kiffin, stupid for hiring Dooley. And now they can't seem to get anyone they want and they'll have to settle for their 7th or 8th choice, I love it. They are getting what they deserve for their incompetence.

I love Charlie Strong and I'm glad he's staying at Louisville. He was so underrated in the past and now he's finally getting the attention and money he deserves, but as a Florida fan I'm not in a hurry to see him back in the SEC anytime soon.

I loved how cocky and crazy Tennessee fans during their short stint with Kiffin where he dominated recruiting then fizzled a bit on the field and bolted for USC after just 1 year. That was hilarious. Then Dooley and his speech about having to teach his players how to properly wash themselves to avoid jock itch was gold.

I don't think Jones is a bad hire but I agree with the Bearcats contingent on here... he's not a HUGE loss like Kelly was. He may be very successful at Tennessee. At the very least I can see him bringing them back above .500 regularly...lol. But unless Cincy completely whiffs on their replacement (they've shown an uncanny ability to just plug and play over the last several years) they'll be fine. Wonder if Fickell gets a look.

Bearcats, any word on who you're looking at yet? I'd have to think you guys were putting lists together over the last few days with Jones going to Purdue, Colorado then finally Tennessee for real.

Dykes was rumored, but he just accepted at Cal... Fulmer maybe?

A lot of locals keep saying to bring Kerry Coombs back, but no way is he head coach material... That's just the "bring someone with local roots who will stay" talking, instead if thinking of winning...

Withers interviewing at so miss.

As for the uc coaching situation, I posted on reddit that they need to expand their stadium and up their budget and join a conference if they want to keep good coaches.... Lots of pissed off uc comments and tons of downvotes. Are all uc fans this delusional?