Official 2012 Football thread

DaddyBuiltRacing

One of those silver lining things with not being in a bowl... Braxton is working with a private QB "guru" out in California over the holidays. George Whitfield Jr. Worked with Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, Johnny Manziel, Ben Roethlisberger, etc., etc.

Whitfield has been tweeting out pics of them working today...

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of those silver lining things with not being in a bowl... Braxton is working with a private QB "guru" out in California over the holidays. George Whitfield Jr. Worked with Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, Johnny Manziel, Ben Roethlisberger, etc., etc.

Whitfield has been tweeting out pics of them working today...

siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick

If he can teach him to scramble and reset his feet with his eyes downfield, this offense could be absolutely nasty next year.

Someone said that once he tweeted that he was committed he all of a sudden became good friends with Raekwon McMillan...lol. If OSU can get him to commit early (people have been saying Urban's been telling some kids to wait until after 2013's NSD) and be a bit of a ring leader for the class that would be awesome. It's always nice to have a kid from SEC country leading the recruiting charge.

I said it before in this thread or the 2011 one but the 2014 class will be the first one where Urban and his staff will have had the full cycle to recruit and create their relationships. The 2012 class finish was incredible if not miraculous, the 2013 class will very good but the 2014 class will be awesome. Somewhat weak class in Ohio (2 great ones at Glenville though which is nice) so the staff had to do their homework to get in on out of state kids early but they did just that and it sounds like it's going to pay off.

I don't know what just happened with 3 post of this, but here's an interesting article:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1460896-ohio-state-football-ncaa-shot-self-in-foot-with-buckeyes-sanctions

also how is it that the players in the Belk bowl are given $500.00 gift cards for playing in the game, isn't that against NCAA rules somehow? But you can't sell your personal items given to you by your school?

I have wondered the same thing for several years... How the NCAA lets players get $$$$ "gifts" at all the bowl games and that's okay, but so many other things such as selling own stuff isn't...

I suppose it's checks and balances.... Bowls offer rewards, that any team can get by making it there, one time for a finite amount... But universities giving "gifts" or alumni, it can get out of control

I don't know what just happened with 3 post of this, but here's an interesting article:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1460896-ohio-state-football-ncaa-shot-self-in-foot-with-buckeyes-sanctions

also how is it that the players in the Belk bowl are given $500.00 gift cards for playing in the game, isn't that against NCAA rules somehow? But you can't sell your personal items given to you by your school?

I dont think anybody will ever understand NCAA rules and why they allow certain things but not others

The bowl gifts used to be even more ridiculous because they weren't regulated. Whatever the bowls wanted to give out, they gave out. Now there's a limit ($400-500 I believe). But say one of the gifts is a PS3 or Xbox 360 and the player already has one. They can't sell it. That would be the equivalent of what the OSU players did by selling their own awards and would be an NCAA violation.

And I like how that study done by Nate Silver all of a sudden becomes extremely credible because of his work with predicting this year's election...lol.

Mike Mitchell will be announcing his commitment at the Army All-American game.

Here's a list for all the all-star games and the OSU commits/potential commits in them from the O-Zone...

Under Armour All-America Game

Friday January 4 (5:00 pm ESPN)

Ohio State Commits

DB Cam Burrows (6-0 206), Trotwood OH

DL Joey Bosa (6-4 260), Fort Lauderdale FL

ATH Gareon Conley (6-1 165), Massillon OH

ATH Jalin Marshall (5-11 196), Middletown OH

TE Marcus Baugh (6-4 229), Riverside CA

Ohio State Possibilities

LB Trey Johnson (6-1 215), Lawrenceville GA

S Vonn Bell (6-0 190), Rossville GA

RB Dontre Wilson (5-10 174), DeSoto TX (Oregon commit)

S Max Redfield (6-2 181), Mission Viejo CA

U.S. Army All-American Bowl

Saturday January 5th (1:00 pm NBC)

Ohio State Commits

RB Ezekiel Elliott (6-0 198), St. Louis MO

DT Michael Hill (6-3 315), Pendleton SC (Selected but will not play)

OL Evan Lisle (6-6 265), Centerville OH

P Johnny Townsend (6-2 200), Orlando FL

CB Eli Woodard (6-1 185), Voorhees NJ

Ohio State Possibilities

WR Shelton Gibson (6-1 175), Cleveland OH

LB Mike Mitchell (6-4 215), Plano TX

WR James Quick (6-1 180), Louisville KY

I bolded the names that nevada has as "====".

Quoting and re-posting as these are going down this week. Lots of optimism coming out of both game locations right now.

5* WR James Quick has publicly switched his leader to OSU from Louisville. Has always said the home school was a slight leader with OSU right behind but now saying OSU is the leader. Could all be trying to create more drama for his announcement (during the game supposedly) but could also be trying to let Louisville fans down a little more softly going into the announcement. Says he's going to hang out with all the OSU guys in San Antonio this week.

5* LB Mike Mitchell is still expected to announce for OSU at the same game.

Not real sure what's going on with 4* WR Shelton Gibson. People still aren't sure he'll make it academically. Could be a Fork Union deal.

And something maybe a little more surprising, people now expect 5* S Vonn Bell to end up with OSU. This would be an Urban special. He and his daughter Nicki went to Bell's state title game the day before the dead period started and made sure to basically stand right in front of Bell's team as they came out of the tunnel then spent the rest of the game with Bell's mother. Not sure if he's planning on announcing at the Under Armor game but this one and Quick are the biggest bits of potentially very good news coming out of the all star game sites right now.

Haven't read much on 4* LB Trey Johnson's front but sometimes that's a good thing. Supposed to be announcing at the Under Armor game and, like I said, no new news so he should still be an expected OSU announcement.

I think Quick is creating drama more than letting down the Louisville crowd, but wouldn't mind it to be the reverse.

Gibson showed up with OSU gear on, but that really doesn't mean a whole lot in this day and age lol.

Mitchell stated he will choose a school that gives him the best chance at playing early, in my opinion that school is Ohio State.

Bell has been believed by many to be an OSU lean for a while now. A lot of folks on scout doubted some of the posters who were claiming this, but now it looks more and more likely.

I think Quick is creating drama more than letting down the Louisville crowd, but wouldn't mind it to be the reverse.

Gibson showed up with OSU gear on, but that really doesn't mean a whole lot in this day and age lol.

Mitchell stated he will choose a school that gives him the best chance at playing early, in my opinion that school is Ohio State.

Bell has been believed by many to be an OSU lean for a while now. A lot of folks on scout doubted some of the posters who were claiming this, but now it looks more and more likely.

Everything was pointing towards Bama for Bell until Urban did his thing at Bell's title game a week or so ago. He's not announcing at his all-star game so there's plenty of time for things to change there.

And EVERYTHING is signaling Quick to OSU. Even more stuff since I posted what I did last night. That's usually not a good sign but people who have paid much closer attention to his recruitment than I have say he's not the kind of kid to "play games" or "build up drama." We'll see...

Gibson is all OSU and has been for a while... if he makes it academically.

Boise St to remain in the MWC lol.

Gibson is all Buckeye, if he can qualify as you said. Remember Latwan Anderson though? That kid was all OSU until he realized he couldn't get in academically, then he was all WVU and eventually ended up at Miami on a track schollie. I have seen crazy things happen in recruiting where a sure lock ends up elsewhere.

We'll see about Quick, would love to see him at OSU, just not sold he isn't about the drama.

LOL @ USC and LSU.

USC AP Preseason #1, LSU #3. Together, they lost 9 games this year.

Clemson manhandled LSU for large stretches of that game. And wtf is up with LSU botching the game plan late in the 4th quarter? Les Miles strikes again.