The cars you have

Mojoe

We all have owned several cars. As I continue to do things to the RX7, it just makes me wonder how others look at their cars. I have no intentions of ever selling the FD. It is willed to a CR member, and that's when I will let it go. I seem to just always want something just a little better done to it. Which means it's a working project. What I wonder is, do you guys see yourselves hanging on to a car you are working on? I know some on here get bored with cars fast and change them out. I'm looking for the people who have had their car a while or plan on keeping the car they may have recently bought. Why? What is it about that car that you connect with? What are your plans for the car?

For me, and I know I have said this a thousand time on here, but the uniqueness draws me to the car. Fueled by some of the dislike some people have for the rotary motor, I like to hang on to something so different. And let's face it, the body is just sexy and screams sporty. The car is gutted right now. I mean right down to the metal from the dash to the trunk. It's just wires and the new fuel system in the car right now. When I see this it just made me think, when is it going to be enough? When will I think its right? I have been happy with it after changing things before. Anyone else like this with their car?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought my Cutlass in 1997 because I liked the taillights and the body style. It's been through many many stages. I drove it for years and years as an 11 second pump gas street car. Now it's far from ever being streetable. I'll forever keep it because of the bond that forged for my dad and I. We never really got along much he and I until I started working on that car. I think building it up reminded him of doing the same thing when he was younger. I also have my T/A that I bought in 2002. I never plan to get rid of it either. There are many days I go outside and see it parked there and think to my self how much I love owning it.

I bought my Camaro in 03, and I have no intentions of ever getting rid of it. I see it as mostly centimental value, and I just love the car. Like you it will always be a work in progress, trying different things, it'll never be done. The Mazdaspeed Miata I recently bought could possibly turn into the same thing, but its too early to tell. I absolutly love the little car, and if I get another beater this year like I'm hoping the Miata will almost certainly become yet another toy I can't part with.

I've had the s10 for 17yrs proably 8 sbcs blown sprayed turboed and na. Tubbed and non. Nevver part cause its my 1st vehicle. And nobody will pay whhat its worth to buy it. 89 blazer I've had for 4 yrs and 2 diff motors id sell if if the right buyer came arround. Has my old 9.90 350 in it now has a new 9"and ds for some 225shots out of the hole. 2001 camaro my newest car 1.5yrs and ill keep it forever. Plans are for a 9 sec daily driver from early spring to late fall. I like it cause its black on black and I've always wanted to try a black girl! Lol

The car i thought i'd never get rid of was my 98 GT w a swapped in Mach1 motor, I bought it new in 98...my first new car i ever purchased. I sold it in 07 with 21k miles on it to build my house.

Now The car I will never get rid of which i've owned for 20 yrs this year, is my 65 Mustang Coupe. My dad and i restored it together and its a car thats not worth a ton of money, but has a very special meaning to me and my dad. So I'll never sell it, I'll will it to my son when my time is done.

I don't ever buy cars I'm not in love with and don't intend to keep for quite some time. I've known well in advance of purchasing each car exactly what I wanted. I also know what my next vehicle will be as well.

The red Porsche was the only car I've sold in the last 10 years and we only sold it becuase of life events that could not have been predicted. I've had my Audi 10 years next month. Even with >200k miles and with it getting neglected these days I don't plan on getting rid of that car anywhere in the near future.

I guess I get attached to them. Since I plan soo far in avance what I want there's never any surprises and each car fills the role I expect it to fill perfectly.

I'm pretty much stuck with the Summit. The amount of money getting sunk into it really prohibits ever selling it for a price that I wouldn't slash my wrists once it left. Everything thing else is fair game. But as much as I would like to have new a new car, I'm too cheap to spend the loot.

This is a timely thread, because I've been thinking about this over the last couple of months as I've worked on getting my Ford driveable. Almost every car I've owned and sold, I end up regretting in some capacity. Not enough for me to buy again, mind you...but I recognize the part of me that wanted to keep it.

I guess I'm finding that my eternal passion for cars conflicts with my increasing real-world requirements for living; especially in the last year and a half as the family grows and business responsibilities increase. I have less resources (TIME AND MONEY) to devote to my hobbies, and my hobbies have compounded: being a good father, as well as flying. Now, it looks like we're buying a boat!!!

CLIFFS: 5 years ago, I would've told you I'm a "car-keeper" for life. Now and forseeable future? Not so much. Too many other moving components in my world.

I bought my firebird back in 2006 and will prolly never get rid of it. As i was growing up I begged my parents to buy me my first car, buy they always told me no because you always appreciate things like that more when you buy them yourself, and were they ever right. I have babied that car since the day I bought it.

Not to mention all the work that has been and is about to be put into that car.

I bought my firebird back in 2006 and will prolly never get rid of it. As i was growing up I begged my parents to buy me my first car, buy they always told me no because you always appreciate things like that more when you buy them yourself, and were they ever right. I have babied that car since the day I bought it.

BABIED???:dumb::dumb::dumb::dumb:

You make more passes in that car then Paul could ever dream of.

The STI is my baby. I plan to own it until I die. I was deeply into the STI for 4 years prior to even owning it. I knew what I wanted to do with it before I even bought it. I love that car and every time I dive it I'm surprised with how sharply it responds and the amazing amount of grip.

The WRX is my race car. I do have an attachment to it, and I've done a lot of work. But it may eventually leave my hands. I have a buyer, but I'm not sure I want to sell it and start all over with a new car. It may end up a continuously evolving car.

The Ambulance is a big project. I don't know when I'll have the time to complete it, but I was expecting it to take a while. I just hope I get it finished before it rusts away and I just have a big aluminum box.

The spec.B is a daily that I was trying to keep comfortable. I got it hoping it would strike a good balance between fun and comfort. Since getting it, I've decided that I'm willing to sacrifice a lot of comfort for fun. So I'm going to trade it for the BRZ.

...as well as flying.

How's the license coming along?

I was just hanging out at my parent's place, with my dad and a few of his friends. My dad asked how one of the guys plane was and it came up in conversation that he teaches (on the side). He flies out of Marysville. I know you had a good connection at OSU, but those things can come and go. Let me know if you want his contact info.

And where is your baby today??? LOL

My 96 Impreza, I bought because I got a sweet deal on it. I drove it till the motor blew up, and its been on jack stands while I decide what I want to do with it. I have all the parts to finish an EG33 Flat 6 swap, so maybe I'll get a fire lit under my ass and finish it this summer. However, I still might try to sell it. I ended up stripping the interior out, with the intent of using it as a dedicated Rallycross car, but the poor condition of the car (rust) makes me worry about what I could get out of it.

My 06 Impreza could be going away soon. Because of my age, my insurance for it is nearly as much as the car payment, totaling almost $500 a month. Its not that I can't afford it, but I really like the prospect of another $500 a month in my pocket.

The Miata I have been driving a lot, as it reminds me about what I miss about my old MR2, just pure fun to drive. I also got it with the intention of Autocrossing all season, but if I get rid of the Impreza it will have to be my daily as well. Not worried though, the previous owner left it in great mechanical shape.

Truth be told though, I can't say I have emotional attachment to any of my cars. I almost seem them purely as tools. Daily, rally, and autocross.

BABIED???:dumb::dumb::dumb::dumb:

You make more passes in that car then Paul could ever dream of.

My bad, I meant that more in the sense that it sits in the garage, gets pulled out only on nice days and is constantly getting cleaned/ waxed and whatever else lol.

Driving wise, I don't think I have ever drivin that car and not gotten into it at least a little lmao

My 96 Impreza, I bought because I got a sweet deal on it. I drove it till the motor blew up, and its been on jack stands while I decide what I want to do with it. I have all the parts to finish an EG33 Flat 6 swap, so maybe I'll get a fire lit under my ass and finish it this summer. However, I still might try to sell it. I ended up stripping the interior out, with the intent of using it as a dedicated Rallycross car, but the poor condition of the car (rust) makes me worry about what I could get out of it.

My 06 Impreza could be going away soon. Because of my age, my insurance for it is nearly as much as the car payment, totaling almost $500 a month. Its not that I can't afford it, but I really like the prospect of another $500 a month in my pocket.

The Miata I have been driving a lot, as it reminds me about what I miss about my old MR2, just pure fun to drive. I also got it with the intention of Autocrossing all season, but if I get rid of the Impreza it will have to be my daily as well. Not worried though, the previous owner left it in great mechanical shape.

Truth be told though, I can't say I have emotional attachment to any of my cars. I almost seem them purely as tools. Daily, rally, and autocross.

Don't have very high standards of good mechanical shape do you? j/k glad you're enjoying the car.

Good thread. I wish I could go back and not sold some of what I've had and just the same not bought some I did.

Regarding now, the MS3 isn't anything really special, but it's my only real 4 wheel fun now given where life puts us with kids and a third very nice vehicle that doesn't cost me a dime.

That said, even just today the wife is egging me to see the Mazda but I won't. It's not 100% what I thought I would like and it does lack in some areas, but overall on the Ben Franklin T-Chart of what I enjoy about it, is the experience.

For a FWD grocery getter she is very spirit, handles great and does have some creature comforts. There's a bit of a raw feeling about driving it that some would consider the result of having an OTD Cost of $24k. That's likely true and okay. Just like my numerous cameras, I enjoy working with the limitations of something as no matter what you drive they all have them. It's what you do with what they do offer that makes the experience count.

Cliffs: it's just a little Mazda, but it puts a smile on my face and that's what counts.

Ive kept a solid pattern of owning 3 cars consistently.

-The toyota pickup, my first car, it has sentimental value because it is my first vehicle and Ive been through a lot in it. I could never get rid of it and never will. Odds are it will rust out to bare frame and I still wont part with it.

-The daily, right now its a forester but I Ive been through 5 in the past year or so. I get bored and want something different. I have very little attachment to any of them, yeah its sad to see them go but shit happens and I usually make a move up from the last one.

-The project. Since it is something I'm pouring a huge amount of time into and have spent day and night working or researching it. I am attached to it but honestly I see myself getting rid of it at some point.

These are exactly what I was hoping to get for replies. I wanted to quote almost everyone, and comment.

I didn't even mention my specB, man I love this car. For casual driving around, I still get to play a little. I have actually thought aboout buying another and storing it for when this one dies. That's just not practical given all the new cars coming out. But at this time, there isn't another daily driver I want and I have had this for, going on 2 years.

It's good to know we are not all just racing the cars to their death and selling them. I said the RX7 was the beginning of my "Jay Leno" collection.

Now I need to get a place that I can have 7 cars. I have the bike, the FD, the SpecB, a diesel project, the girls Jeep and her Camery, and the room to work on things. Man, am I screwed. lol

I thought I would keep my SS/SC forever. It was quick, great on gas, reliable and cheap to maintain. But the day-to-day realities of what I had done started to become a drag. I began to hate the FWD, stiff suspension, and loud exhaust. (Of course, most was my own doing lol) I decided I need 2 cars: a comfy daily with room that I didn't car if it got beat up, and a dedicated fun car.

I ALMOST went with a CTS-V wagon instead of having 2 cars -- but I thought I would regret getting a car that was "everything" wrapped into one.

I plan to drive both my current vehicles until they die.. however I bet in a few years I will get an itch to move on.

Edited by ForeverMaker