question about my son's weight...

xlr8tn

Since I know some of you guys lift and what not I thought I'd ask here. I plan on talking to his doctor about it in June at his next check up but wanted to see if you guys knew anything about it.

My 9 year old son is a pretty small kid. He's tall but just doesn't have any weight on him. He's been getting messed with at school about it lately and I was wondering how safe/dangerous it would be to start having him drink muscle milk or something similar and start lifting weights at his age. He's healthy and eats like any normal kid but he just doesn't put on weight. I'd rather him be skinny and healthy than to risk anything but if there's something safe he could do I would let him. To put it in perspective....he weights ~60lbs and my 6 year old daughter is ~63lbs. I wouldn't let him lift a lot of weight but maybe something just to give him a little mass. Any of you guys know anything about this stuff? Like I said.....I'll be talking to his doctor before we do anything. I just know some of you guys are into this stuff and might have some knowledge about it.

+1 let him grow. its his metabolism. To this day i am 35 years old and i weigh 155 lbs. i have 4 % body fat. I done the whole weight lifting thing and even got into the whole competition thing because i had the little man complex, and drank the living hell out of the weight gainer drinks etc.. most i ever weighed was 172 lbs and benched 415. i done more harm to my body then than good.

Im healthy, people cant hardly keep up with me. im slender, but yet very athletic. he will hit a slight growth point. as long as he is eating and he is healthy.

thanks guys.....it's definitely something that I'll ask his doctor. I'm not talking about serious weight lifting.....just some light dumbells in his room to do curls with. I won't push him to do anything really. I actually prefer him to be on the skinnier side.....it's just a lot healthier for him in the long run. I also know that it sucks to have kids picking on you. It's not to the point where it bothers him a bunch....he just mentioned it the other night at dinner that kids were picking at him for being so skinny. I'm not overly concerned about it really because he's not one to take a bunch of shit off someone. He took care of some kid on the bus earlier this year that tried to take his seat away from him. Kid told him to get out of the seat, he said no, kid grabbed him out of the seat, and he busted the kids nose. I don't think the picking will get out of hand because he will eventually get tired of it and pop someone. Not the right way to handle it and I've told him that but at the same time you can't let someone walk on you either.

My buddies have sons that wrestle. I took him to a tournament last year and asked him if that was something he thought he'd like to do. He said nope. He's just not into it. He's just into his drums right now for the most part.

Get him into a martial art class.

This. Have my 7 year old in ata. Great for self esteem, respect, and of course landing a solid bicycle on bullies if it ever comes to that.

And in my experience attitude goes much further than sheer size. If your son shows that he won't take any shit once or twice, they will back off.

I was underweight most of my school career, my parents took me to doctors and made me drink some weight gaining stuff and it never worked. I still never gained any weight and I was quite tall as well. Could just have a crazy fast metabolism like I do. I have to eat every 3 hrs or I feel like I might shrivel up and die lol.

This. Have my 7 year old in ata. Great for self esteem, respect, and of course landing a solid bicycle on bullies if it ever comes to that.

And in my experience attitude goes much further than sheer size. If your son shows that he won't take any shit once or twice, they will back off.

he took karate a couple years ago and liked it. We took the summer off so he could play baseball and then just never signed back up. Maybe this fall we'll look at getting him back into classes again. The place he was going too out here closed. Not sure if it closed down or moved but they're no longer in the same building. I'll have to ask around and see what's up.

Same thing happened with me when I was a kid, and mom forced me into basketball and football. Turns out you get picked on more when you join those sports when you dont succeed right away so its a roll of the dice, but eventually genetics came in and I put on 30lbs in 3 1/2 years ( I was 5'11'' 167 lbs freshman year of H.S., Im 6'1'' 205 now 10 years after H.S.) and held my own and earned my place for better or worse. Eventually joined the track team and loved that most of all.

Still play both sports, and run 5ks when they pop up in my area, today but those first couple years of learning and trying to get stronger werent the most enjoyable but I really appreciate what hard work can bring because of it.

But if your kid is handling people when they rub him the wrong way I would say you dont have much to worry about.

I do know that you can really hurt children's growth plates by getting them into the gym before high school with supervised lifting. As you said, he liked karate, so i would sign him up for that. As other have said it will boost his confidence and that should help more than anything.

Hope things work out for him!

I do know that you can really hurt children's growth plates by getting them into the gym before high school with supervised lifting. As you said, he liked karate, so i would sign him up for that. As other have said it will boost his confidence and that should help more than anything.

Hope things work out for him!

THIS. There is no scientific or to this date proven cases of children having stunted growth from lifting weights. The only thing that can hinder a growth plate is by physically injuring it. I started lifting at 10 years old, no issues 5"11 - 210 now.

Dovers right. Unless the kid is powerlifting there will be no harm to the growth plates. I had this conversation with an ortho surgeon over at Childrens Hospital. He actually recommended that my son started doing some light to medium weight lifting. There has to be trauma to the growth plates to put them at risk of stunting their growth. Something like getting kicked in the wrong place in a martial arts class is more dangerous than routine lifting if its done right.

Don't worry about his size. As long as he is eating right and healthy I would let him grow on his own. If you do decide to try and bulk him up do it the natural way... peanut butter and jelly sandwiches 5 times a week :D

Dovers right. Unless the kid is powerlifting there will be no harm to the growth plates. I had this conversation with an ortho surgeon over at Childrens Hospital. He actually recommended that my son started doing some light to medium weight lifting. There has to be trauma to the growth plates to put them at risk of stunting their growth.

Don't worry about his size. As long as he is eating right and healthy I would let him grow on his own. If you do decide to try and bulk him up do it the natural way... peanut butter and jelly sandwiches 5 times a week :D

Came to post this.

Thanks for all the advice guys.....it's appreciated. I didn't really see much harm in getting him a 10lb weight to do curls with....it was more the muscle milk kinda stuff that I know nothing about. He just has a high metabolism and he started off in the hole....he was premature by a month so he's always been small. He's tall though and will be 6'+ for sure. He's a pretty active kid so sitting around doing nothing really doesn't happen. We have a Wii and he has a DS but rarely plays either. He'd rather be playing drums, riding the 4 wheeler, or hiking in the woods behind us. I'm pretty sure he'll be fine but I'm sure you guys can remember what those early years were like.....lots of peer pressure to look a certain way or act a certain way. I just don't want him to be someone's punching bag. I don't think he will because when pushed enough he does know how to hit and he knows where to hit. Again.....probably not the right answer but I really believe that you have to kick a few peoples ass in life. It's not how many you beat up but who you beat up at that age. You kick the right person's ass and everyone else will leave you alone. :D