College Football Thread v2.0

Dr. Pomade

Sooo...guessing everyone here is going to translate what they see on the field in Ill. Saturday into how super duper awesome we are and ready to face the best of the best. If we don't hang 60 plus on Illinois and hold them to maybe a token 4th quarter score against our practice squad and water boys then the team isn't listening to what Urban is saying about the importance of style points.

What do you think the score would be if we played Alabama and FSU?

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sooo...guessing everyone here is going to translate what they see on the field in Ill. Saturday into how super duper awesome we are and ready to face the best of the best. If we don't hang 60 plus on Illinois and hold them to maybe a token 4th quarter score against our practice squad and water boys then the team isn't listening to what Urban is saying about the importance of style points.

You're one of the "miserable" fans Tressel referenced post-USC in 2009.

Personally I think scores would be along these lines

OSU 24 Alabama 31

OSU 28 FSU 27

I think FSU has great talent, however I haven't seen them play competition like Bama, and they are the benchmark, sorry but they are. Until they are beat I cant feel confident. Our guys are good, but rightly ranked at 2-4 in the country from my eyes.

Bama looses convincingly and I would change my tone, but they haven't, and I dont care about the shoot out with Johnny football, they still won at a level they are not used to, outscoring opponents vs controlling the game.

OSU for all our strengths we still have BAD weakness's and Urb made them clear.

Our Linebackers are about as poor as we have had in 10 years... Even Shazier is not the level of Rolle, Laurnaritus, Wilhelm, Hawk, Carpenter, ect ect. Perry is young and while smart, he needs time. Curtis Grant is god gifted with FREAKY physical ability, and god gifted with no football IQ. IF we had three solid linebackers, that D line would shine even more, they are a good enough unit. The secondary is above avg, you just need Roby to buy into for a few games vs seeing payday, you need bryant back in the worst way, grant is okay, not a play maker but not a liability, and our safteys are just avg still. This is where the short comings are, and they are big.

You play FSU and famous will scramble and hurt out secondary pretty bad I fear, as we just dont have the line backers to corral him.

Bama we would be better suited for because C Grant can run stop, however again, poor safety play and mediocre linebackers will hurt the Bama freight train handing off the ball...And heaven forbid we load the box and AJ has one on one on the outside, scary thoughts especially if you consider what Aberd-cadabera (wisky) did to our 1st round draft pick.

If these guys can continue with this "click" and each game that defense grows, even against poor talent, then if they soundly handle scUM then I say we can hang, but you have to handle scUM and really if you get MSU in the champ game, for as good as their defense is their O is bad, they were dumb enough to get Bollman after all. IF you cant beat MSU by 14 and feeling "semi" comfortable then there would be concern, if you did, bring on the big boys and lets benchmark.

Glass half full...

If you guys want to get a good laugh at some serious ESPN OSU hatred, go to this webpage and watch the video...they discuss the playoff system and why Ohio State shouldn't be in if it were to start this year.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/88199/college-football-rankings-analyzed

Even Shazier is not the level of Rolle, Laurnaritus, Wilhelm, Hawk, Carpenter,

WUT? I would say he is definitely on their level, and he is basically just a bigger, faster Brian Rolle.

Well, all of the FSU fans are hanging their hats on the blow outs of lesser teams...........

Realistically, they will be judged on their performance. The only way to judge them against the better teams is if they play those teams. No need to be a negative Nancy about our boys though :gabe:

I wonder how much you doubted/hated Ohio State before the 2002 NCG... lol Maybe take a Prozac to change your mood? Ohio State is not a bad team this year and will hang with the best of the best.

I remember a 2008 Buckeye team that got throttled at USC that went on to play a Texas team that many thought was one of the best teams in the country. And while they didn't win, they played a pretty damn good game. I think with this coaching staff, we can line up with anyone on any given Saturday.

So the #1 prospect in the country according to multiple sites, 5* DE Da'Shawn Hand, had his announcement today. Was a lock to Michigan for weeks if not months. Michigan commits being all confident and smug on Twitter this morning. Even Hoke hinted that today was going to be a great day for Michigan football during I guess his call-in show or something.

Kid announced about a half hour ago. For Alabama. Michigan fans are flipping out. This is awesome.

I think they legitimately had him locked up and their horrible results on the field the last few weeks led directly to this.

So the #1 prospect in the country according to multiple sites, 5* DE Da'Shawn Hand, had his announcement today. Was a lock to Michigan for weeks if not months. Michigan commits being all confident and smug on Twitter this morning. Even Hoke hinted that today was going to be a great day for Michigan football during I guess his call-in show or something.

Kid announced about a half hour ago. For Alabama. Michigan fans are flipping out. This is awesome.

I think they legitimately had him locked up and their horrible results on the field the last few weeks led directly to this.

He tried to call Hoke last night and they ignored his call and never called him back

Honestly, I think Hoke is an idiot and will be fired by the end of next season.

I can't call him an idiot. The dude has been successful in his career against some longish odds. That being said, the hiring of Urban and his success has put a TON of pressure on UM to step up and try to match it. I honestly think that if UM does not either a: beat OSU or b: Play for the B1G title next year, you may see UM look to spend a sick amount of money on a high profile coach. Maybe go after Uncle Les again, but this time with a blank check.

It's too bad, because Hoke "gets" the rivalry, and he owns that job. Got a team full of underperformers this year, though.

I can't call him an idiot. The dude has been successful in his career against some longish odds.

I can. He is nothing more than a motivator who had hired some good assitants around him. He has shown the past 2 years that he can't handle it at this level. They lost Hand because they refused to let him do pursue the major he wanted to. His offense is failing and he refuses to put on a headset and listen to what is going on while the offense is on the field. I just don't see it in him at this level. I don't think he is cut out for big boy football.

I can. He is nothing more than a motivator who had hired some good assitants around him. He has shown the past 2 years that he can't handle it at this level. They lost Hand because they refused to let him do pursue the major he wanted to. His offense is failing and he refuses to put on a headset and listen to what is going on while the offense is on the field. I just don't see it in him at this level. I don't think he is cut out for big boy football.

Ok, so this is semantics, then. There are some brilliant minds out there that have just not been able to cut it at this level (Think Tyrone Willingham). These guys are the crème de la crème, bro.

I am agreeing with you on all counts, save that he is actually an idiot. Lol.

WUT? I would say he is definitely on their level, and he is basically just a bigger, faster Brian Rolle.

WUT?

Rolle is still playing in the league - Started with Philly now with shitsburgh, and still playing. Small or not he had the instincts a linebacker needed, and was a great play maker at OSU, and has not dissipated into the abyss in the league.

Shazier gets a little crazy and over commits and lacks a true wrap up tackle many times. He is good, but I would say his growth from last year to this year has not been "immense", if anything I do not see much difference, personally, however I am not a coach.

This is a good team - a top 4 team for certain I would argue with anyone, however objectively saying OSU is the best team is ignorant. Play Bama, they are the benchmark. Saban recruits the best,(pays the best) and has the best schemes for the talent pool he has. Urban is certainly on Saban's level however.

What do you think the score would be if we played Alabama and FSU?

Doesn't matter what numbers I pick. Everyone here is going to call me a hater. I don't see us beating either team. That doesn't mean I'm not a fan. Everyone needs to cheer up. We are very likely going to the Rose Bowl and in every scenario we have a real chance to win there if we continue on our current path and prepare well.

WUT?

Rolle is still playing in the league - Started with Philly now with shitsburgh, and still playing. Small or not he had the instincts a linebacker needed, and was a great play maker at OSU, and has not dissipated into the abyss in the league.

Shazier gets a little crazy and over commits and lacks a true wrap up tackle many times. He is good, but I would say his growth from last year to this year has not been "immense", if anything I do not see much difference, personally, however I am not a coach.

Shazier isn't over running plays as often this year, he is more having issues covering for Grant's screw ups.

Rolle isn't on the Steeler's roster or practice squad, and was cut from Philly for being not good. Many sites have Shazier projected as the first OLB taken if he leaves this year.

I wonder how much you doubted/hated Ohio State before the 2002 NCG... lol Maybe take a Prozac to change your mood? Ohio State is not a bad team this year and will hang with the best of the best.

Oh yeah...I totally doubted that 2002 team. Oh boy. I almost took a hiatus from watching football after that season. Ugly win after Ugly win. Please tell me I'm not alone there! Come on. You all remember that we didn't deserve the win at Purdue, right? If I remember right some of the calls that went our way in the NCG were hinky too. If you ignored polls and just watched the games...no way you'd expect the end result was a national championship that year. I am just a realist. I LOVE OSU football. I am not capable of overlooking our shortcomings and honestly I think I enjoy our successes more for it.

Oh yeah...I totally doubted that 2002 team. Oh boy. I almost took a hiatus from watching football after that season. Ugly win after Ugly win. Please tell me I'm not alone there! Come on. You all remember that we didn't deserve the win at Purdue, right? If I remember right some of the calls that went our way in the NCG were hinky too. If you ignored polls and just watched the games...no way you'd expect the end result was a national championship that year. I am just a realist. I LOVE OSU football. I am not capable of overlooking our shortcomings and honestly I think I enjoy our successes more for it.

Ok, so you;re one of those. Got it. Carry on.

Ok, so you;re one of those. Got it. Carry on.

After that post I'm starting to think he's not an OSU fan at all and just trolling.

Anyway, onto funnier things (ie. Michigan)...

I read that Hand trying to get into contact with Hoke/Michigan was earlier in the week. But either way... wow.

I remember when Hoke was hired people didn't think too much of him because he had an overall losing record in his career to that point and he has his voice and all this other stuff not really projecting the feel of a big-time coach. Then they get 11 wins and go to a BCS bowl in his first year and it's like... wtf? How? Dude must be damn good. Pair that with some great recruiting classes and everything looks really good.

2012 happens and people figure the team is young, Hoke only has 1 of his classes in so far and there's a lot of damage from the RR era still needing to be repaired.

Now it's 2013 and Michigan may have a worse record than 2012. 2 full (and very highly regarded) Hoke classes on hand and this is what they're working with? A surefire 1st round LT as well as very highly touted guys along the rest of the OL and they can't manage positive rushing yardage over the course of two full games? It's insane.

Recruiting rankings aren't everything but Michigan has absolutely loaded up on OL talent the last few classes (much to the chagrin of OSU fans, especially when it came to 5* OT Kyle Kalis) and can't gain a yard.

It's probably bad karma to point all of this out knowing OSU will have their own OL woes next season with 4 fantastic seniors graduating across the line but it's just incredible to think about. Does anyone know the last time Ohio State had negative rushing yards in a game? It was UGLY against MSU back in 2011 behind the Bollman offense but they still managed positive yardage. I can't imagine it having happened in the last decade.

What was his major and why would they not let him pursue it?

What do they care what he chooses to study?

He wanted to do some kind of engineering. I don't know all the details on them letting/not letting him pursue that but I know it was engineering. Michigan is a great academic school as far as public schools are concerned so I could see engineering being a tough task along with major college football up there but simply not allowing the kid to try is strange.

Here's a chart from a year or so ago that OSU displays in the WHAC for recruiting visits...

http://i.imgur.com/iJOjPyw.jpg

I guess Michigan's 2 were grandfathered in from the RR days and Hoke doesn't allow it? I don't know.