What do you do?

SRTurbo04

Sales consultant for Byers Ford. I have a BA from Ohio Wesleyan University in Journalism and Politics.

Tried doing some minstream press but hated the bullshit and lies from sources and editors. Got laid off thankfully in 2008 and focused more on my freelance writing. Was a blast but didn't make any money in it. Started sellin cars in late 2009 and it's stuck with me ever since.

I do okay with it. I'm not top salesman and I'm fine with that. However, it keeps in in the automotive field which has always been my end goal. Sure, the hours suck and some customers suck even more, but I have laid back and fun bosses with a loyal customer base and a great product line that's hard to just give up on. Will I sell cars for the rest of my life? Who knows. But right now, I'm happy and I can live a semi-comfortable life.

Edited by Fiji ST

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a Parts Department Manager for the largest and fastest growing Medium/Heavy Duty Truck dealerships in North America. We pride ourselves in being a customer solutions provider, aiming to take care of EVERYTHING a customer may need (Chassis, bodies, cranes, ect). We sell everything from Crown Vic parts to 15L Cummins ISX parts. If you need it, I can get it.

Education-

I have 3 years of business management from Kent State and a two year associates degree in Automotive Technology. I graduated from the Toyota T-Ten program, and have most of my ASE's. When I graduated I worked several different positions in the dealership setting. I've been a delivery driver, a service advisor, parts associate, and a warehouse guy. I've witnessed some gruesome inventory overhauls.

One day I "hope" to work my way to a General Manager position.

My fulltime job is field service for an IT firm, daily I repair copiers, printers and anything else that handle paper, I get into all areas of IT constantly and have a +15yr background in all areas of IT except for the new security sector that's popped up. Not really required for my job, but it helps that I'm also an electronics guru and have a lot of programming experience so I understand whats going on, not just how to fix things.

I started a photography business about 6 years ago and made a go at it. I closed it at the end of 2013 and learned a lot about myself while operating. I found that I have no capacity to sell myself or my services. I'm completely capable of taking photos and very much love the business side of things, but the lack of sales ability is going to stop me in any business endeavor and I'm not sure what I'm going to do about that problem. LOL

Day Trading/Investing is something I've been interested in since I was a kid and the market was reported in fractions. I grew up to poor to really get involved, moved on with life and now I'm months away from going full time/part time with it. Lucky for me I was poor so I didn't end up losing a fortune starting out and learning how. Instead I've spent over 15yrs paying attention and paper trading. Trading actual money when I can get it and with what little real money I've had I've been extremely successful in many market conditions and been able to buy man toys that my wife would never allow otherwise hehe.

I plan to continue my work in field service for another couple years while trading and saving. Hopefully eventually having enough capital to trade without much risk to daily cash flow needs. I am very worn out of field service and driving all the time so if any of you IT guys got a lead hook me up. Financial field would be cool too;-)

I fix peoples broken ass cars. Been at it over 9 years and have realized that Ill never be a rich man but, my bills are always paid and Ive always got food to eat which is good enough for me. Ive got a couple ASE's and work for a company that I can atleast be proud of at the end of the day. I started out of high school with no automotive training as a lube bitch and worked my way up with ass kissing and hand jibbers behind the dumpster. One day Im sure Ill be a store manager and make a much more comfortable living or become a non functioning alcoholic.

No Degree.

Lots of Cisco/Juniper/Adtran Certs.

I've worked in the same building for most of my life.

13+ Years now. "Network Engineer" for Verizon. (No, not wireless, no I can't help you get a phone)

Can we get some damn FiOS?

Took vocational school for auto mechanics. Took my ASE tests.

Now work at the columbus airport on all small to big equipment. Police cars, firetrucks, runway brooms, giant snow blowers, 24' wide plows, etc.

I like my job, but sometimes the people I work with get annoying. But it's a union gig so I can't complain.

I'm unemployed and I drink.

I have a degree in Network Administration and have almost finished one in Computer Programming (out of money for school). No certs.

Before this current state of bliss I refurbished electronics/updated the website for Micro Center; and I enjoyed a brief stint as a Network Admin for Time Warner.

Im an Industrial/Process Engineer for Norwood Medical in Dayton for 4 years. I have a BS in Industrial Engineering. I do a lot of trouble shooting on machinery and machining process, labor audits (time studies) and much more. Good field to be in, I have seen a lot of job openings in the Dayton/Cincinnati area here recently.

Good luck!

Genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist.

errrrrrrrrrr... wait. maybe not :gabe:

In the case of someone having Signatures disabled and not already knowing, I run a car lot, and genuinely love my job.

I have formal education in the form of a Computer Programming degree. I would venture to say though, the education that has helped me be successful has been the things I took it upon myself to learn. I read a lot online, do a lot free webinars, enroll in the occasional free online college coarse, and still pick up a real life book on occasion.

You have probably heard the old saying, "Reading one hour per day in your chosen field will make you an international expert in 7 or more years." I am not sure that is true... but it will surely make you better, that is certain.

Do something you think you will like or you think you will be a rockstar at. Either way, make sure it pays the bills. Even if it isn't your final career you can learn things or make connections that can help you later.

My stint as a Series 7 and 66 Financial Advisor taught me things that I use daily now. (In the car business... who would have guessed that)

Best of luck to you Paul. :thumbup:

So what does everyone here at columbus racing do for a living? How much education do you have to get to where you are? Where do you work, and are you

One of the resident engineers. I work at GE Aviation, in Advanced Products & Demonstrator Programs. Started out as a design engineer, my title these days is Technology Leader. Basically I am a combination of a program manager and a project manager. I manage the technology roadmaps (I.e. Maturation/development plan) for fuel and air system components (fuel pumps, fuel metering units, actuators, air valves, controls, servo valves, etc...). I also own and manage the fuel system design for certain next generation engines (military and commercial) and try to match new technologies with program needs. (The stuff I work on will go to the world in 2020-2030)

I have my BSME and MSME (mechanical engineering) from the great University of Cincinnati, and plan to go back in the fall for my MBA at Xavier.

I pretty much love my job. As a kid when most of my classmates had sports stars as idols, Thomas Edison was mine, I read and researched a lot about him. From the time I was about 8 years old I would say I wanted to be "an inventor" when asked what I wanted to be when I grow up. And now, funny enough, I work for the company he started... Purely by circumstance no less. Now, I'm on the business/corporate path, which I also enjoy. Ahead of my passion for R&D and engineering, I also enjoy leading people and developing teams to get things done, it's just kinda comfortable to me...

My short biography concluded, the point is, think about what you love, what your good at and go after it. Never stop pursuing what makes you happy. When you have a job you enjoy, work can be... Enjoyable. :). Or as I was told as a kid, find a job doing what you love and you'll never have to "work".

I'm a Acura master tech, I've been with them for 18yrs but I recently switched over to Honda(same owner same car just a different emblem, all my seniority/benefits/vacation stays with me which is a huge plus) the pay is good until the Holidays roll around then hours decline but they eventually pick back up. I'm hoping one day to get in with Honda R&D, they tell us you need 1 of 2 requirements, a College Degree or 10yrs in the Honda field, so here's to hoping...

Account Manager for an E-Learning company. Went to school for Business at OSU.

Was a recruiter before and hated the industry and the day to day grind as a recruiter.

E-Learning has opened my eyes. Its a great industry and is fun to see what we create since we are 100% custom. We are a smaller company but our CEO treats us amazing so in return our employees work their tails off.

Project engineer for Whirlpool in Marion. BSMET from Cinci. The pay is decent, but it can be a pain in the ass sometimes as I'm pretty much on call 24/7 and occasionally get called in at 3am or so. I'm 16 hours into a shift working on a new machine startup and still have another 4 hours to go before my cover shows up.

I'd rather design and fabricate cool shit all day. Probably should have just went straight into a machining/fab trade school right out of highschool and started my own fab shop. I may still open a shop up at some point in time.

Im into satellite communications. I have a few certs in networking, but that's about it.

I primarily work in the middle east, and contrary to popular belief there are some nice things about this part of the world.

I neither like it nor dislike it, but I will be leaving within two months after almost 3 years living over here, and taking over the family business and going back to school.

Government jobs are drying up and the budget cuts have really made it more difficult to get a job done properly so Im cashing out and going back to being a normal American.

I literally work over the wall from you for as a night team leader next to turner. If you need sometime to bounce ideas off as far as staying with the company or thinking down the road, I can take sometime at the beginning of my "official" shift 2-11ish to bounce ideas back and forth.

Full time student and company owner-operator. I'll graduate with an associates in automotive and high performance technologies which I then plan to use to further my business ventures or seek other employment doing production manifold work.

I may never get rich doing this, but it's allowed me to pursue a career I truly love in a field I'm very passionate about. I greatly enjoy working with my hands, turning my visions into realities, testing theories, and having the opportunity to push myself to improve with a task I find enthralling. I hold the mantra "if you enjoy your job, you'll never work a day in your life" very close.

I work for Nationwide. Been here for over 10 years now 9 of which was working at the help desk, it was a OK job that paid the bills and allowed me a lot of time to spend with my boys as they grew up. Now I am Production support Practitioner with the NFIT operations team. My primary job is basically admin work, order PC's ,ID's and make sure my department has the access and rights they need to do thier jobs, I also do java code releases for the teams when needed. I love it here I work with great people I can pretty much set my own hours and do what I need to get things done and no one questions me. Money is decent as well. Won't get rich but I can take care of my family.

I'm not sure how you do it. I could barely make it through P. Chem and Orgo without wanting to stab my eyes out.

I don't use much, if any, P-chem at work. I use organic on a daily basis, but not that intensely. Chemistry isn't for a lot of people, that is for sure.