What do you do?

SRTurbo04

Nothing fancy here; I sell parts. For my advice I'd say, do what you love. But failing that, do something you like to pay for what you love. Despite what society claims, you don't have to find "fulfillment" in your work. You can use your work as a tool to find fulfillment elsewhere in life.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Bachelors of Science in Nursing and have worked in a local Intensive Care Unit for the past 4+ years.

First and foremost, it's a stressful job; one of the most stressful things you can do. Second, a degree in nursing can be used for a variety of things, not just floor nursing. It's also a rewarding job, if you're into that sort of thing.

We work odd hours for mediocre pay. We have the constant threat of the .Gov fucking with our reimbursement, which in-turn, affects us. Most patients are unappreciative and often times downright nasty, not to mention severely non-compliant. And your stupid fucking management expects you to take this with a smile on your face because the stupid fucking government bases hospital reimbursement off of some silly surveys we send out to these unappreciative and nasty patients.

We deal heavily in nasty body fluids. We see death and disease all the time. Happiness and sadness (mostly sadness). We see people rack up thousands and thousands of dollars in hospital bills trying to keep their 95yo grandmother alive for one more month; a bill they will most likely never pay. I'm most likely a carrier for every known biological disease that exists. I work with a large amount of women all day long (this can be good or bad.....mostly bad; bitches are catty).

With all that said, I do enjoy it most days. I'm extremely good at it; mostly because I think like a man (serious about this). Most women are emotional in this job, whereas I tend to be logical. I find the human body to be quite similar to say, a car. If you know how it works, you know how to troubleshoot it. That's why I kick most of their asses.

I also do not plan on doing this the rest of my life. I'd hurt somebody if I had to do this (floor nursing) another 5 years. With how good I am at this whole medical thing, I (and a lot of other people) think I should go on to med school. I'm torn on this decision. I'm also leaning towards CRNA (Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist) school. It's a masters/doctorate program and would take another 2-4yrs of schooling to complete, but I think it would be worth it versus another 10+ for med school/residency.

Anyways. That's what I do currently and am planning on doing in the future.

Sr. HR Generalist at a manufacturing company. I enjoy my job and the company, don't enjoy my boss. I just swallow it and take it in stride.

BBA in HR Management, PHR Certified (same thing as a CPA for accountants but this is for HR), and working on my MBA. It sucks. First class final paper was 88 pages long.

I'm at Chase too, about 8 years along.

I'm 32. Self-educated. I've been on the net since email was delivered twice a week and monitors displayed four colors.

The job sold off contract as a 'Technical Operations Analyst,' at the end of the day I'm a shortstop for engineering, and catchall for the helpdesk.

If you're in Production Retail Finance, we've probably spoken - there are only 5 of us.

I'd like to manufacture, craft or design things. Widgets, sprockets, doodads. Something tangible.

Edited by cybe

LEO for about 2.5 years now.

As far as education, police academy and associates degree. Still working on Bachelors.

I love the line of work. Something different every day, get to drive/walk around, pay is pretty good depending where you work. There are plenty of negatives though.

i have an associates in applied science which majored in automotive high performance and i have a bachelors in business management

i do not work in either field lol

i am a route sales representative for frito-lay, the job isnt the greatest, but the pay is rewarding and at my age, thats really all i care about.

Nothing fancy here; I sell parts. For my advice I'd say, do what you love. But failing that, do something you like to pay for what you love. Despite what society claims, you don't have to find "fulfillment" in your work. You can use your work as a tool to find fulfillment elsewhere in life.

I wish more people understood this I have a friend who basically was a career college student from the time she was 19 till she was 30 and changed yherdegree three times and not just slight changes like drastic alterations in her career like not even remotely related fields and she finally graduated and got a job in the real world and has decided she hates her job and it's not fulfilling enough for her.

She's only been doing it for six months

I told her she needs to settle and her job and sit there for a couple years and really think about what she wants out of life and use this time to pay off what she has left on her student loans and really dig deep on what she wants out of life because it sounds like even to this day she doesn't know if she's wasted a lot of money trying to decide that, while being poor the while time she was in school.

Wealth management operations for JPMorgan Chase. I think I'd like to become a financial advisor eventually, so this current role works great as I get to see a lot of the behind-the-scenes stuff. They're sponsoring my series 7 and paying for school, and the pay's not bad either. Worst case, I've got a license and a degree to branch out with if I end up disliking it in a few years.

I started in the call center too, FWIW, Paul.

If you're ever interested in getting out of the corporate setting and into somewhere that will REALLY challenge you, PM me. My old man's the CIO at Hamilton Capital Management. Not saying this because he'll just give you a job, but he will challenge you relentlessly and will help you define a clear path to reach your goals if he can.

As for me, I sell FIATs. I kind of fell into this job after getting my BA in International Relations and realizing I had absolutely 0 interest in joining the federal work force. I now think back and believe I made the right decision.

I doubt I'll be a car salesman my whole life because I really miss having Saturdays to spend with friends and family, but I believe that in some way sales is the right career path for me. I'm been told by several people including those who work in the recruiting field that I would probably enjoy that line of work immensely. Definitely something I've considered.

Currently in a management position at krogers. it pays the bills, but thats it. cant stand the place.

Went to school for computer hardware engineering, but kinda got bored with it and never went that direction.

just applied to and went through all the testing to get a job with the franklin county sheriffs office.

I work for a staffing company. My boss (CEO) calls me the VP of Ops. I run the day-to-day and implement changes to help us grow.

I don't love the industry, nor do I hate it. It's a means-to-an-end for my lust of being an entrepreneur. I have been there since day one (By myself, zero dollars in revenue, a phone, and a computer). Now we are slated do just over 9M this year. We have gone from dead last (82nd place in 2009, based on revenue) to number 1 this year based on our numbers from 2013 (four years to get to number 1) in the Ohio Hospital Association (for nursing services) program.

My fascination is not with staffing as an industry. It is with teaching, developing, and creating change in order to grow.

So technically, I do not know how to answer the question "do you like your job?".

EDIT - I have a bachelor's degree in fine art from Kent State. Go flashes!!

Edited by Diamonds

Chase Level 2/3 Retail Branch support. People have issues at the branches with PC's, etc., they call me.

Been here 11 years. No degree. Got an A+ way back when. Been working on computers for 20 years. Started off making $4 an hour building computers for NovaCom in Grandview on 5th ave. lol.

This man gets it.

I know it easy said then done, but be happy with what you have. Life is full of what-ifs. A homeless person will be very happy with a hot meal and a blanket. I'm very sure you have both, but why that's not enough for you?

Do you know why the grass always greener on the other side?

there are a lot of shit over there, that's why

Went to Devry got my degrees in NSA & NCM (network system admin and network computer management) worked at JPMC as an engineer on the Global Infrastructure Team, then Ohio State University aerospace IT Admin.

Currently, learning how to run my families business selling/supplying and fabricating Structural Steel, ornamental railings, gates, fences etc. Which I like much better. Small business with a directline to profits helps motivate me to work compared to the ant farm of Chase.

I hated being in IT, shit changes so fast it was hard to keep up.

Residential and some light commercial HVAC. Change outs, new construction, remodels. Didn't go to school for any of it, but I've been around it most of my life because my dad and uncle had a business doing it when I was growing up. I like it, the new construction part can get kinda boring for me, but I ejnoy changing out existing equipment in people's houses.

I also have an ass load of certifications for road construction. If I ever wanted to, I could get a job as an inspector for a DOT, but I'm over that kind of work for the time being.

Just left cardinal health as an international portfolio manager. Managed all of cardinal's infrastructure projects abroad (well the portfolio) and just started today at alliance data as an sr IT PM.

I have a BS from Franklin and a lot of Microsoft and business certs (PMP/LSS/ITIL). As some others have stated...do what makes you happy. I sold my soul for money, but as much as I like having it, I want to punch and/or strangle people daily. There is far more to life than sitting behind a desk and my advice is do something you can be proud of. Find the thing that makes you happy and do it regardless of how much you make.

Field Service Engineer for Markem-Imaje Corporation, which is one of the largest companies in the Coding & Marking Industry. My base experience is from the military where I was a Weapons System Tech on the Tomahawk Weapon Control System. Everything else I've learned is from real-world applications. No degree.

My secondary career is running Columbus Racing, LLC (as of today!) so you fuckers can have nice track days :D

I buy cars for a living. It's nice to finally look forward to going to work and getting paid doing what I love to do all day...Look at cars!

I have my BS in Architecture from OSU and shortly after graduation I realized I didn't want to work in the field. For my current job any 4 year degree would have gotten me in the door. I might have enjoyed my time more in college with an easier degree but I can't complain.