College Football Thread v5.0

bicranium

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/polls/

#18 in coaches poll...one thing is that UCLA jumped Michigan State despite them whipping the shit out of Wyoming. I know it's a lesser opponent but the Big 10 hate is strong.

Also, SEC rationale as always: Missouri got the most votes to be ranked that isn't ranked, despite getting beat by IU the week before.

And now, Alabama and Ole Miss play. So when Ole Miss loses, Alabama is a God even though Ole Miss has played no one. They'll drop 3-4 spots. So fucking annoying.

Some big games this week after 2 pretty lackluster weeks!

Alabama vs. Ole Miss -- Agreed with Brad. This game results in an SEC circlejerk no matter who wins, but I'll take Bama. Ole Miss is a joke.

Oklahoma vs. TCU -- I expect them to come out guns blazing after a sketchy performance against WVU.

LSU vs. Auburn -- LSU's beat their cupcakes by better margins than Auburn. Plus, Kansas State should have beaten Auburn (RIP kicker's dignity).

TAMU vs. Mississippi State -- Eagerly awaiting the tears from MSU fans who thought their team was "good". I still think TAMU is the real deal this year.

Stanford vs. Notre Dame -- No commentsh. Irish losh to Shtanforkhd.

Nebraska vs. Michigan State -- I hope Nebby can pull the upset. They're the B1G's only hope.

And of course,

THE Ohio State vs. Maryland -- Welcome to the B1G, bend over. 49-17, Bucks.

Our pass defense is what?

Please never make me go to a Dave "The Coroner" Biddle article ever again.

For those who would also like to avoid giving that useless turd clicks... the article points out that OSU's pass defense is ranked 13th in the country. It helps when two of your opponents (Navy and Kent State) combined for 99 passing yards.

Just because they're easy to pull here are the passing offense ranks of the teams OSU has played thus far...

Navy - 126th

VT - 58th

Kent St. - 97th

Cincy - 9th

Remaining opponents...

Maryland - 49th

Rutgers - 64th

Penn State - 25th

Illinois - 24th

MSU - 48th

Minnesota - 124th

Indiana - 88th

Michigan - 108th

So no one appears to be as good as Cincy passing the ball but 4 of OSU's next 5 opponents appear to be better than the 2nd best passing team OSU has faced this season.

As for this week's game I've been saying that I think Maryland and Rutgers will be tougher outs than people were thinking as they were added to the conference. Both teams are 4-1 with Maryland's loss coming to a much improved WVU team compared to last season and Rutgers' coming to PSU by 3 in a game where Rutgers' QB threw 5 picks. OSU is an 8-10 point favorite depending on where you look. I'm not nearly as confident as airwg2189 seems to be although the prediction he posted wouldn't shock me. This will be Maryland's B1G home opener. And it's against Ohio State. Everyone goes all out when they face OSU regardless but I think we'll see a similar effort out of Maryland to what we saw out of Northwestern last season. Maryland will treat this game as if their entire season depends on it. I see something like 38-28 OSU.

So a little after midnight Michigan AD Dave Brandon finally released a statement admitting that Michigan likely played a concussed player (Shane Morris). According to MGoBlog this was known early Monday morning but Brandon and others fought with the medical staff throughout the day to try and either get them to straight up lie or at least to try and help make Hoke/Michigan look better but the medical staff wouldn't do it so the result is a 1AM statement from the AD. The results of the season have been bad enough but now you throw this on top of it and there's only one possible outcome in all of this.

Will be interesting to see who Michigan ends up with. Hoke was a 3rd or 4th choice in the last search (didn't even have a winning record before taking the Michigan job - sitting 9 games above .500 now). I wonder if they finally get Miles. Jim Harbaugh would be the ultimate prize but I don't see it despite the contract issues he's had in SF. Miss. St.'s Dan Mullen (was with Urban at ND, BG, Utah and Florida until 2009) is another name I've read a lot but he has no Michigan ties which those people love.

Miles was in a little segment last year with espn, he said he is too old to move his family and basically start over. Not to mention recruiting at LSU is far easier than it is at Michigan. I don't see either of the Harbaughs leaving the NFL either, lets be honest, Jim had a better gig at Stanford than Michigan would be right now. They will most likely get a guy on no ones radar such as Hoke and continue to suck for a few more years. The Michigan boards are hilarious though, they are imploding!

Miles was in a little segment last year with espn, he said he is too old to move his family and basically start over. Not to mention recruiting at LSU is far easier than it is at Michigan. I don't see either of the Harbaughs leaving the NFL either, lets be honest, Jim had a better gig at Stanford than Michigan would be right now. They will most likely get a guy on no ones radar such as Hoke and continue to suck for a few more years. The Michigan boards are hilarious though, they are imploding!

This. Michigan has been a complete shithole for almost a decade now. In the age of gimme-now, I don't see any established coach leaving a comfy southern/coastal gig to try and extinguish the dumpster fire. They're gonna have to get someone fairly unknown and try to rebuild the rebuilt rebuilding.

Meyer says Braxton will be the guy next year, I smell a controversy brewing. Barrett has been pretty solid this year and I feel the offense works better with him in there. Then again, I don't see Braxton coming back next year, but makes for conversation.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2014/09/urban_meyer_says_braxton_mille_2.html

Good article on Barrett

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2014/09/40532/barretts-blazing-start-freshman-quarterback-on-pace-for-great-numbers

In Hoke's defense on his overall record, he took Ball State and made them MAC contenders and to bowl games. They were bad before he got there, not Eastern Michigan bad, but pretty bad. I know, I went to school there.

As far as not being on the radar, he was on the radar (not very high) when they hired Rich Rod, and was higher on the radar when they hired him. Agreed not they're first choice but I don't think Michigan will get their first choice anymore.

Hoke is still getting fired this year. There's a chance Hoke could end up back at Ball State if/when current coach Pete Lembo leaves.