Columbus to Orlando - which route is best?

TTQ B4U

Been down 75 south to Atlanta many times and that's one option. Little longer option at just under 15hrs.

The other option is 77S to 95S through the Carolina's. It's only about 30 minutes shorter but not a route I've driven before.

Which should we consider first? We'll be loaded up minivan dragging it's ass end. No fun involved.

If you do take 77S DO NOT hit Charlotte during rush hours, you'll waste an hour if your lucky. Also just north of Charlotte around Lake Norman the traffic is very slow almost all hours of the day. Best to go from Statesville to the SC boarder before 6am or after 7pm if your time critical. The area's grown so much over the past decade.

During mid day expect the Lake Normal area to waste about half and hour, everyone slows down to nearly stopped and looks at the lake like they've never seen water.

Have done both a few times. The route through Atlanta is the fastest and best route. Going 95s once you hit Jacksonville you have to cut across on a 2/4 lane road with stop lights and small towns with tons of speed traps. I highly recommend avoiding this.

I75 got my vote. Go with what you know. I hate going thru Tennessee with a passion thought. For such a short state there are so much fucks there.

I95 you have to go thru Virginia and West Virginia. Virginia is always full of cops. WV is sketchy as fuck at night.

One trip I was going back to Ohio thru I95 and I77. Passing thru WV right around midnight and they closed I77 down due to construction. So they diverted traffic onto the back road that lead to US35. I was on that road for about an hour without seeing any car coming or going. Pitch black, no light, the phone was out of range, my navigation went blank, just like in the twilight zone, some bad shit was about to happen. After about an hour driving in the dark at triple digit speed I reached some civilization. I knew where US35 will eventually lead me to, but that stretch of road I'll never forget.

Driven to Orlando several times on both routes. The last time I had taken 75 down and 77 back just to compare the 2 routes. I found very little time difference between the two. To me 75 seemed more of a PITA, more cops, more construction though not as hilly. For me 75 was a boring long drawn out route.

Taking 77 I enjoyed alittle more, but you do have to deal with the annoying slow 33 2 lane route to Ravenswood ( this is only the stretch after Athens to the river). Once your on 77 you can roll pretty good. However don't forget about the WV turnpike with it's 3 tolls. The turnpike is VERY winding, hilly route, but very fun to drive IMO to keep things interesting for the driver. Also a good place to stop for fuel or eats is the big welcome center called Tamarack ( I believe that's whats it's called).

As others have said going though Charlotte sucks, it's worse than Atlanta, but their is an outterbelt which does take you outta the way but is very open. To me the views going down 77 are top notch absolutely beautiful ( amazing in the fall). Going thru NC lake norman area is congested and will slow you down alittle but honestly it's not that bad and is very short IMO. Coming into FLA if you go though Jacksonville it kinda sucks if your close to Rush hour.

Oh the BEST places for a fuel stop ( good prices) and some quick eats on the way down and back is Whytheville VA. And I usually try to top off before getting into FLA as gas seems to be higher than southern GA.

Just made a trip to FL a month ago for a wedding.

75 through ATL.

I got to Naples in 15 hours with stops for a pregnant wife and food.

Download the app "waze" and go 90mph.

Great app but absolutely destroys your battery. When plugged in it overheats.

Flights for a family of 4 are pricey...renting family-friendly vehicles down there is even worse. I support driving if you're going to be in Orlando for at least 5 days.

+1 on Bob's comments for I-75 and using Waze. Branch off on rt91 and you'll be in Orlando in no time.

Just made a trip to FL a month ago for a wedding.

75 through ATL.

I got to Naples in 15 hours with stops for a pregnant wife and food.

Download the app "waze" and go 90mph.

That is super impressive. I am about to start driving down so I can bring my dogs. I figure 17-18 hours max with dog stops.. What time did you leave columbus?

I live in Charlotte now so I was just giving local knowledge. Charlotte isn't even a big city yet, they just have very bad traffic flow (old school ramp designs and bad signage) and lots of accidents. I live to the south of the city and I have to plan around traffic to go a couple exits for a burger.

Do you people complain about traffic not plan your trip to avoid major cities during heavy traffic? I have never been stuck in heavy traffic in Atlanta or Charlottle but I also avoid them between prime hours.

I went through Atlanta at about 2pm on a Saturday, traffic was terrible, no wreck, just bad drivers.

Great app but absolutely destroys your battery. When plugged in it overheats.

I had no issues with heat or battery-killing. I mean, it drain the battery like any open app would that is similar. but it didn't suck the ever-loving life out of it.

Do you people complain about traffic not plan your trip to avoid major cities during heavy traffic? I have never been stuck in heavy traffic in Atlanta or Charlottle but I also avoid them between prime hours.

Here's an example....

Chicago is a city where time-of-day matters for traffic.

Altanta is NOT a city where time of day matters for traffic. It's always clogged.

I had no issues with heat or battery-killing. I mean, it drain the battery like any open app would that is similar. but it didn't suck the ever-loving life out of it.

I've found that any mapping app with the screen on will make the phone run hot. Add to that a little sun and the phone will overheat and stop charging.

My solution is just to use a phone mount that holds the phone so air from the vents can blow on it. Easy to see and the phone stays cool.

GM is even putting a special little vent on the phone holder on one of it's new models (something boring I forget which).

Just drove back from Tampa area early June. Looked like up through Savannah and the Carolinas/VA had the least construction. I've done the drive a few times (grandma is a snowbird)...its like 20 min difference between the two. The East coast route is more scenic through the mountains.

And FWIW, we stopped in Savannah and made it to Columbus in 10.5 hrs with 2 piss stops, one gas/lunch stop, and a final gas stop once back. There wasn't much except a few miles of construction in VA.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I read through a lot, and am going to do the 77/95 trip. One of my labs is in Charlotte so I'm going to stop by and show the kids "how it's made" and grab some dinner with friends at a night fun spot. From there we'll head down to Jacksonville Beach for some ocean time. Then a short drive to Disney. I plan on doing the same thing in reverse on the way back :)

Wish I could talk the wife into flying but she's never been a plane person. The times we've flown we had to drug her up pretty good. :p